Date: 30-04-24  Time: 10:30 am

Author Topic: Fixing Seat Foam  (Read 2250 times)

Nebuchernezzer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Ktm250exc
    • View Profile
Fixing Seat Foam
« on: 25 August 2016, 02:10:37 am »
Has anyone done much with fixing seat foams?
My seat has been fine but a few months ago the vinyl cracked (yay sun) and it tore the seat foam a bit.
So i put duct tape over it and then put a nice looking cover over the top of it all but now the split has gotten worse underneath the new cover and the tape and the cover is now showing the crack through (and you can feel it when riding).
So basically my idea is to take the new cover off, take the vinyl off and then somehow fix the foam and just put the new cover on.
Two problems come to mind.
Is the vinyl cover glued to the OEM foam? Cos that'll make my plan a pain.
Is the foam closed cell or will it take up water like a bastard when it gets wet (cos i suspect my new cover is not waterproof).  Not keen on having a soggy seat for a week after it rains haha.
Alternatively i could somehow repair the vinyl cover somehow and then put my new cover over the top.
And a pic of my new cover just cos.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing Seat Foam
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2016, 06:26:07 am »
The cover isn't stuck to the foam.
The foam isn't enclosed in anything but the cover, once it gets wet it can take ages to dry out because the water has to try and get out of the very small gap where it got in from. In colder countries this can cause the foam to rot, it happens with our camera equipment boxes at work as well when crews leave the boxes out in the rain with the lid open.
If you have a new seat cover that somehow isn't waterproof then i wouldn't even bother with it at all, it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
If you think your foam is knackered then i would imagine you either need a replaceent seat, most likely with a replacement cover as well, or get it done by a pro upholsterer, or seat refurbisher, which i'd imagine ain't gonna be cheap.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Nebuchernezzer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Ktm250exc
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2016, 09:50:13 am »
I guess I'll just rip it apart and see what i can do, worst case it's stuffed and I'm no worse ofd. Good to head that the vinyl isn't glued on at least! I will managed somthing i reckon. Maybe i can scotch guard my seat cover if it isnt waterproof, im thinking mainly that it'll leak theough the stiching in it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2016, 10:31:00 am »
If it's material meant for an external seat I don't know why it wouldn't be waterproof?

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2016, 10:35:36 am »
The original foam should be closed cell, but over the years of being compressed and released every time you sit on it or move while sitting the cells may be linking up making it more absorbent.

It is usually better to remove the split cover before fitting a new one because the edges of the split will always give a change in deformation characteristics and will accelerate wear on the new cover in the same place.

Nebuchernezzer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Ktm250exc
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2016, 11:31:55 am »
Yeah that's exactly what I've found sadly. And i would imagine it's waterpoof material but the stiching makes lots of holes in it no matter how waterproof it is. We'll see ay! At least it's mostly sunny in Queensland.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2016, 08:24:41 pm »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2016, 06:33:30 am »
Another option, then put your new cover straight on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS-Fazer-600-Seat-02-/331942449427?hash=item4d494fd113:g:MBEAAOSw9NdXszY2

Think the issue is more about where he is, and lack of access to spares like us, without spending a small fortune.  :\

Nebuchernezzer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Ktm250exc
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2016, 06:40:13 am »
Haha well yes good luck finding another fazer down here. Prices when you do come across them...not so bad cos they aren't popular. But yeah free ia the best price too ;)

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2016, 09:21:39 am »
Camping/outdoors shops here have seam sealants for tents or waterproof clothing, either tape or paint-on sealant that would be worth a try

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2016, 12:46:38 pm »
Another option, then put your new cover straight on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS-Fazer-600-Seat-02-/331942449427?hash=item4d494fd113:g:MBEAAOSw9NdXszY2

Think the issue is more about where he is, and lack of access to spares like us, without spending a small fortune.  :\

I didn't think that one through very well did I........ :o
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Nebuchernezzer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Ktm250exc
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2016, 11:19:45 pm »
Yeah i thought of seam sealer tape but i ended up being lazy and not getting any haha.
So i took the original vinyl off, fixed the foam up with silicon RTV and shaped it with a razor after it was dry.
Scotch gaurded the seat foam and refitted the cover.
Feels nice and comfy now without the hard vinyl under it and apart from a bit of a mark on the outer cover from when i was riding it with the gash in the foam so pretty happy.
We'll see how it goes in the wet.