Date: 28-04-24  Time: 10:52 am

Author Topic: Jumping out of second...  (Read 1912 times)

lardarse

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Me little Amateur Radio webpage
Jumping out of second...
« on: 19 March 2012, 07:40:30 pm »
Hi All.
So I've just been for a pootle back from Southport, gave a lad who works for me a lift home, been riding back, nothing silly as there has been a lot of traffic being evening. Into a slow, first gear left hander at the roundabout, go for second and CCCCRRRRUUUUNNCCCH.... Gear lever feels a little wooly, tries to go for second again, crunch, engage then jump out... Thinking it's me being a gonk, I go for first, it engages, into second and it engages then jumps out. Hmmmmm

Manage to get the gears to engage, riding along, pulling up to a set of lights and it jumps out of second. Gear lever feels like it's not returning from the up shift, and now feels VERY notchy altogether. The scenario has happened a few times now, where it is very notchy, and jumps out of second.

Fortunately, I bought the bike three weeks ago from a local Yam Dealer, and the bike has 3 months warranty.

Please could any of the more mechanically minded Foccers advise if this is a well known fault on the thou, I know the 600 was well known for jumping out of first if you gave it some welly, but I wonder if you could cast some light on the (endless) possibilities?

Cheers in advance for any advice offered.

Kev

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Jumping out of second...
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2012, 08:01:32 pm »
Some one will be along i am sure to tell you the mechanical options.
but just on a side note did it only happen when a pillion was on the back? reason i ask is sometimes your seating position can be diff when a pillion is with you. ie further forward maybe. this can realy effect how you contact with the leaver. so can wearing diff boots and things along those lines.

i went through a spate of missing 2nd gear change untill i worked out it was actualy down to a new pair of boots lol.

doubt it is any of the above but thought i would mention it.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2012, 09:13:05 pm »
Broken gear selector return spring is my first thought.  Can be easily fixed without having to go into the gearbox, so your dealer should sort it in a couple of hours.  Another even simpler cause could be maladjustment of the gear lever mechanism itself.  The Rose joints need to be clean, greased, free-moving and correctly aligned to give the best shift.  However, the way this problem suddenly came about suggests something has broken, hence my first idea.

Like the original R1s on which this motor is based, early Gen 1s sometimes suffered gear dog wear on the 2/6 pairing which could cause it to jump out of second when accelerating hard.  Not your symptom, though.  I believe Yamaha quietly upgraded some of the gearbox components to rectify this issue fairly soon after the Gen 1 came on the market.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2012, 09:14:46 pm by Falcon 269 »

lardarse

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2012, 08:02:32 am »
Thanks for the replies gents.

Unfortunately it is happening solo, so not foot position
Related.

Also it isn't selecting other gears at times, box seems to have become a little noisier clutch out. Will ring dealers later an post what is said

Kev

lardarse

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2012, 05:25:54 pm »
Job Sussed!

Detent spring snapped!

Rode into Wigan Yamaha after a quick phone call to them. They dropped what they were doing, took my bike into the workshop, diagnosed the problem, and repaired it on the spot without a question.

Superb after sales service, and great advice from falcon. Spot on!

Kev

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2012, 05:44:13 pm »
Horrible when a new bike gives problems right from the gitgo, so well pleased for you that it's sorted already.

Now, here's hoping it remains as reliable as the Mighty Thou usually is from here onwards. :)