Date: 28-04-24  Time: 06:03 am

Author Topic: IAM "Skill for Life" course...recommended?  (Read 33420 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: IAM "Skill for Life" course...recommended?
« Reply #150 on: 02 December 2012, 10:10:14 pm »
I was criticized for going slow as it was a national speed limit road (60 MPH)

Hmm, it's a bit difficult to comment without having been there, but the "4 S" rule is "Safety, System, Smoothness, Speed" with speed coming last after all the others.

(I was told off by one Observer for going too quick in a situation like that! Can't win sometimes, can you? ;) )

Fazer on kill

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 02 December 2012, 10:31:02 pm »
Mate you are welcome at my group.

If you are Surrey, South of the river or Kent. look up www.l-a-m.org
we meet twice a month, 1st Sun and 3rd Sat. Banstead and Tatsfield.

As a 23year old on my trusty FZS600 I think it was the best investment I made.

We have a cracking social scene, trips to  Wales, Norfolk and the continent.
Social gatherings.

We are a mixed bunch and there is a complete mish-mash.
Please dont be put off if some pipe n slippers BMW pilot is a bit weird. The only thing we can say is we all love biking. Come along, give us a try.

Open invitation to all. The £139 is steep but I think I have saved that several times over.

We are a charity, we just want to make people safer (NOT SLOWER)

Tifa

• ignorant tw*t
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Aprilia Tuono + Hornet 900
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 03 December 2012, 12:48:01 pm »
To IAM or not IAM ?

7 pages?

I've just lost the will to live.

Whatever happened to that countersteering thread?

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 03 December 2012, 03:55:06 pm »
To IAM or not IAM ?

7 pages?

I've just lost the will to live.

Whatever happened to that countersteering thread?

:lol :lol :lol

Just to keep this going, I did it 30 years after passing my test and really enjoyed it. Would definitely recommend doing it  :)

« Last Edit: 03 December 2012, 03:55:56 pm by tony_d123 »

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 07 January 2013, 10:53:56 pm »
For those who have found this item life-threateningly dull might I suggest you direct your attention elsewhere...

For anyone else - here's how I found it: the KAMG are a top bunch, not everyone will be your cup of tea but there is plenty of experience on hand and I found all genuinely helpful. For me the problem was the Man From Hendon who, separate from KAMG, does your test. For most these things are, to some extent, subjective, with only a few rules being genuinely 'black' and or 'white' (speed, double white lines - what others are there?). My undoing was going a little over a painted roundabout where the turn was quite tight and, to me at least, it made more sense to keep the bike upright than to try and make it round without touching. The Man From Hendon dissagreed and I was failed. He was also less than plussed when I questioned the decision; although not in uniform those boys maintain the attitude at all times I guess. I found him pretty objectionable.
Hey-ho, It wasn't a wasted exercise although I didn't learn a huge amount I didn't know already I do now keep to speed limits more attentively and my observation has probably improved, and to that extent I may well be a little safer. Hard to judge I guess.

Next stop RoSPA.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 08 January 2013, 12:58:25 am »
For most these things are, to some extent, subjective, with only a few rules being genuinely 'black' and or 'white' (speed, double white lines - what others are there?). My undoing was going a little over a painted roundabout where the turn was quite tight

Unfortunately the Highway Code says:

Mini-roundabouts. Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts. All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings except large vehicles which are physically incapable of doing so.

Remember, there is less space to manoeuvre and less time to signal. Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1) & 16(1)

If the Examiner sees you disobeying a "Must" on your Test and it's not something that can be overlooked (eg him "not seeing" you going a little over the speed limit whilst overtaking on a National Limit road), he's pretty much obliged to fail you.

spider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - triumph explorer. lambretta
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 08 January 2013, 01:50:59 pm »
i was the best rider in the world. then i joined chelmsford eamg. now i am the best rider in the world. no pipe and slippers. just a ride out every month with a great bunch.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 11 January 2013, 01:30:31 pm »
with any test / examiner there are always margins...areas of overlap which may or may not conform to how they see " black and white". For example, a speed limit of 60 was ( in my day) expected to be maintained as a " solid 60"..ielimit +10%=  66mph ! Now is this still expected ?...but its clearly a strict breach of a speed limit , but police examiners in the 90s felt it showed your capability of riding at speed , without resorting to excess.But if you went through a speed camera at this speed, there was no immunity to prosecution, and the examiner would just ride off  !! Equally so, no allowance was given to 30s and 40s, ie strict adherance was expected.It was a case of learning /knowing what you can and cant do. TBH riding over a white mini roundabout to me is a grey area, like dotted hatchings seperating traffic lanes, as opposed to solid white lines...Do just a bit more than is necessary  will invoke examiner displeasure.Oddly , on larger roundabouts it was expected to use all lanes if empty  to cut off the corners to maintain progress......To fail on just this is alone seems unreasonable as they usually let you have up to 3 small errors, so maybe there was something else.?
I can remember a chap failing his test cos he only used his back brake ! sounds odd, but if you havent shown any ability in front braking, its not good riding practice, even though it shows good acceleration sense, using engine braking and throttle control to slow down.Some IAM die hards believe you almost shouldnt need to brake at all...the list can go on and on...partly because all examiners have opinions, and the IAM test isnt like a tick box type of test....there is an element of subjectivity in it all. My only advice is to remember that setting a good standard to start off your test will always give you a little something in the bank if a small mistake is made later. IAM always say that you are deemed to have passed your test already  ...on the test you can only fail by not riding to the right standard.So  a poor start will set the scene badly as it were...

I thoroughly enjoyed my IAM training , was over the moon to pass my test ,it definitely was a major riding challenge and a great sense of achievement ... and then went on to help others as an observer.I think its something which floats your boat or it dont ! If you can join a socially active group that can help. Trouble is with me now, I like to ride how I have developed to , and often its at odds with strict IAM standards, so feel a bit two faced to stand and preach doctrine.But what I can say is if you do want to ride fast , all the IAM dogma works equally well ! You cant just go out there and ride fast in safety.Anyone can twist the throttle and ride fast , but it takes an expert to do so in safety ...and to know where to draw the line and act with restraint. The IAM is a excellent foundation course.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 11 January 2013, 04:59:57 pm »
I've arranged to meet up with my local group on Sunday for a ride out to test the waters or the snow if the weatherman is right
thou shalt not kick

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 12 January 2013, 12:31:39 am »
Rob as you live in my area let me know how you get on.
Andy

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 12 January 2013, 12:58:29 am »
TBH riding over a white mini roundabout to me is a grey area, like dotted hatchings seperating traffic lanes, as opposed to solid white lines...Do just a bit more than is necessary  will invoke examiner displeasure.

As mentioned above, avoiding the mini roundabout is a "You MUST". Dotted hatchings are ok provided you do it sensibly (ie in a way that wouldn't cause anyone to have to adjust their speed or direction).

Oddly , on larger roundabouts it was expected to use all lanes if empty  to cut off the corners to maintain progress

The IAM have recently released a document called "Common Confusions About Your Test" where they clarify several of these issues. You should be able to see a copy here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbcwi5z7eizrgbd/Common%20confusions%20-%20bike.pdf

spider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - triumph explorer. lambretta
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 13 January 2013, 11:16:56 am »
fantastic thread. join or dont join rospa, iam,  but one thing is for sure. the more miles you do. the better you understand the road

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 14 January 2013, 03:24:11 pm »
Rob as you live in my area let me know how you get on.
Andy

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Well i can't really judge the entire group as I only met 3 people but they all seemed friendly enough as well as pretty enthusiastic about the group and bikes in general. Based on what I've seen I'll probably join but I'm goin to go to a club night first to see what the other members are like first. They did mention that they've got a lot planned for the year and seemed worried they might not be able to fit it all in.
thou shalt not kick