Date: 28-04-24  Time: 05:16 am

Author Topic: Centre stands....for better or worse.  (Read 5344 times)

SteveMc278

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Centre stands....for better or worse.
« on: 11 August 2015, 01:28:56 pm »
This has been out for a while now but at what point did he loose balance of his bike? The grounds pretty level so no worries there. Maybe not enough leverage pushing his foot down on the stand/with extra help with his hand?
Centre stands are a good thing for all year round bikers right? Or perhaps not in this case? How could it be so easy for that to go so wrong?  :\

The road to success is always under construction.....
Happiness is finding you have another gear left....
If there's no solution then its not a problem.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Centre stands....for better or worse.
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2015, 01:49:33 pm »
Poor bugger hope he remembers to face fore and aft next time :'(.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2015, 01:53:07 pm »
I have put bikes on centre stands wearing anything from flip flops to wellingtons, never dropped one off the centre stand yet, it looks like he didn't have a god grip of the bike which is why it fell away from him, moral of tbe story stop filming yourself doing stuff, then nobody will ever know it happened :)

Saying that I dropped my FZ1 last year whilst putting on the sidestand, didn't notice a loose stone and just as I turned away the bike went over, scratched the crash bung and snapped ball off end of clutch lever, moral of the story- shit happens :)

davey boy

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2015, 02:39:38 pm »
Only bike I struggled putting on a centre stand was my wife's ybr 125 centre of gravity seemed way off

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2015, 03:40:42 pm »
I've never dropped the bike from trying to put it on the centre stand, even from failing first try. Same as with slappy as well, I've done it wearing the likes of my boots, trainers and even bare foot once

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2015, 05:17:24 pm »
I nearly dropped mine putting it centre stand today , bike nearly went away from me .

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2015, 07:26:11 pm »
I can see how it can happen...... The centre stand is designed as a lever,  so that the working force should be from the leg into the stand and the arms only guide the bike up.. . . . . If you do not exert enough force on the stand and try to pull the bike up with your arms, then it becomes unstable and the arm with furthest reach will cause more leverage and likely result in the bike pulling away from you!

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2015, 08:41:10 pm »
Always found it easy, bike central, weight straight down on the lever, hand on the side gripand pull straight up . . . Now taking a bike off a centre stand, that's another story!
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 August 2015, 08:49:46 pm »
erm whats a centre stand? now getting the bike onto a rear paddock stand takes some doing, first get stand behind bike set to right width, next put a block of wood under side stand so bike is almost vertical, then while still holding on to bike (important if outside and it's windy) get the stand under swingarm/onto bobbings, make sure they are seated on both sides and check again, lever down on stand and its done now you can let go of bike. Getting it of is reverse of this except you dont need the block of wood and you check side stand is down check side stand is fully forward and check for a third time side stand is down and fully forward then lift the paddock stand till the wheel touches the ground making sure it's going to lean over to the side stand then hold your breath till it's on the side stand, lol.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2015, 09:41:44 pm »
Worst centre stand design in the whole wide world is on my 1958 Velocette- although the bike only weighs about 150lbs you have to lift most of its weight to roll the stand underneath it.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 August 2015, 10:14:42 pm »
The worst centre stand I had was on my 1969 BSA 250 Starfire, take a corner and it would hit the road and lift the rear wheel clear and chuck you off if you wern't careful. Everyone took them off, how wasn't this picked up in the trials before the bike went into production, or was only the Japs who tested bikes?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #11 on: 12 August 2015, 12:20:35 am »
How could it be so easy for that to go so wrong?  :\

Looking at it carefully, I'd say that what happens is that, as he starts to put it on the centre stand, his left hand pushes the left handlebar slightly forward.

Then, when it doesn't lift cleanly onto the stand, it rolls forward, the front wheel is twisted to the right and the momentum of the bike is away from him and there's simply no way for him to get the centre of gravity back before it goes over :(

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 August 2015, 06:27:59 am »
Looks to me like it was a half hearted weak attempt to pull the bike up when it wasn't levelled first, when the bike drops down it's more on the left side of the stand, so as it goes down the momentum pulls the bike away from him.
Silly, but shit happens.  :\
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 August 2015, 09:28:19 am »
Looks to me like it was a half hearted weak attempt to pull the bike up when it wasn't levelled first, when the bike drops down it's more on the left side of the stand, so as it goes down the momentum pulls the bike away from him.
Silly, but shit happens.  :\
Yep I would go with that. I always make sure that both stand feet are flat square on the floor before pushing down with foot and lifting up from the back of the bike at the same time

I don't think its placed in the perfect sweet spot I think it could be easier to put on but i suppose its in the only place it could go
« Last Edit: 12 August 2015, 09:54:13 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 August 2015, 09:36:13 am »
would rather have a centre stand than not have one, the only time I've ever struggled is with a pan 1300 on a tiled floor.....slid everywhere and shit me up as it's a works bike and I saw a massive discipline/deduction out my wages to cover the damage.........luckily I managed it but its an ongoing saga each time I take the bike out :rolleyes
fire never sleeps

stevie-g1968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 August 2015, 11:35:40 am »
I put my GSx1400 down once.. I had wet trainers on and my foot slipped as I went for the lift... all I could do was to put it down as it went away from me... suprising how easy to pick up how easy to pick up a 1/4 ton bike..  :rollin
FOCing down under.......dodging vacant Skippy's.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 August 2015, 01:59:24 pm »
Looks to me like he doesn't know HOW to put in on the centre stand.  He looks too close and like he's trying to lift the bike, rather than rolling it up. When he's too close he has no leverage/control to stop it when it starts to get away from him.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 August 2015, 03:57:47 pm »
When I had my last centre stand on, which was corroded and twisted, that was a bugger to put the bike up.
It was only after replacing it that I could see how bad the twist was and I was lucky it never actually collapsed on me.  :look
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 August 2015, 06:41:58 pm »

The problem was a half-hearted heave that failed to get it up on the stand and because he was standing too close his weight wasn't able to balance it once it was leaning fractionally away. If he'd kept his weight on the stand it would have stabilised.
I don't know if it's because I don't weigh much, but I can't get the bike onto the stand using my right foot, it puts the grab rail too far away for me to lift hard enough. Does anyone else use their left foot on the stand?

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 August 2015, 09:56:40 am »
Why do people have to video tape their whole lives. Ooh look at me having a dump. Unlocking my door, dropping my bike. Schmuck.
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 August 2015, 11:20:25 am »
Lucky he didn't demolish the house dropping that heavy bike on it.

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 August 2015, 06:49:03 pm »
I've never dropped a bike but me on it and twice. no damage on both occasions only pride
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 August 2015, 07:08:55 pm »
Why do people have to video tape their whole lives. Ooh look at me having a dump. Unlocking my door, dropping my bike. Schmuck.

Lol, nice one, just what I was thinking  :rollin

shaggy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 August 2015, 08:28:35 am »
I once dropped my CBR 600 in Tesco's carpark when part of the centre stand went in a pot hole as I lifted, it's more embarrassing than anything :o
As I own a VFR too I think his problem was he was too half arsed in his effort & his right hand isn't low enough to help roll it up onto the stand, he is just trying to guide it backwards from standing on the stand! The VFR is easier to put on the centre stand than the fazer even tho it weighs about the same as a small elephant! :lol The centre of gravity, balance, length of stand, call it what you will is better! Tho the more I ride the fazer the more things I prefer about it to the Honda!

Tifa

• ignorant tw*t
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Aprilia Tuono + Hornet 900
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 August 2015, 04:42:58 pm »
now getting the bike onto a rear paddock stand takes some doing, first get stand behind bike set to right width, next put a block of wood under side stand so bike is almost vertical, then while still holding on to bike (important if outside and it's windy) get the stand under swingarm/onto bobbings, make sure they are seated on both sides and check again, lever down on stand and its done now you can let go of bike. Getting it of is reverse of this except you dont need the block of wood and you check side stand is down check side stand is fully forward and check for a third time side stand is down and fully forward then lift the paddock stand till the wheel touches the ground making sure it's going to lean over to the side stand then hold your breath till it's on the side stand, lol.
I'm kinda confused by the need for blocks of wood?
Park bike up on sidestand
Get behind it with yer paddock stand.
Hoik it vertical, slide stand under swingarm, and lever stand downwards to pop bike up.
Simples.
Is the wood to stop the bike rolling on? Always easier on level ground.