Date: 18-05-24  Time: 02:46 am

Author Topic: shaking it's head  (Read 6946 times)

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
Re: shaking it's head
« Reply #25 on: 20 April 2013, 05:22:57 pm »
Hi all, sorry to resurrect an oldish thread but noticed mine doing the same today and wondered if the lack of bar ends may be contributing? Its got heated grips and the bar ends are not fitted (done before I owned it), it is also a 2001 model so has preload, I did wind in the preload a bit earlier this week and again,  I wonder if this could cause it?, i have wound it back out now and will check it on the road tomorrow, any guidance or advice welcome as it is a bit disconcerting, especially as I like to ride with quite a light grip on the bars :eek

Thanks in advance

Jonesy

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 April 2013, 05:43:38 pm »
Mine did/does it with standard bars and weights, now I've got 785's on, it still shakes. Gonna check/overhaul the forks this summer, so hopefully that will solve it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 April 2013, 05:52:41 pm »
Mine did/does it with standard bars and weights, now I've got 785's on, it still shakes. Gonna check/overhaul the forks this summer, so hopefully that will solve it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, like you this is my 3rd gen 1 Fazer and the 1st time I've noticed it as an issue, am hoping winding the preload out again may help a bit, but haven't had the bike long and today was the first long ride on it, was wondering whether the fork oil gets thinner/hotter the longer its ridden and whether this may have an effect?, may be chasing my tail a bit on this one.

Jonesy

markaboot

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 April 2013, 07:16:34 pm »
Wheel/tyre out of balance, uneven fork oil level.

iam with you DARRSI.......what condition is the tyre in ?

agreed, i used to get wobble at 100mph. new front and rebalance and its gone even at 120mph. closed roads obviously  ;)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 April 2013, 09:53:15 am »
Hi all, sorry to resurrect an oldish thread but noticed mine doing the same today and wondered if the lack of bar ends may be contributing? Its got heated grips and the bar ends are not fitted (done before I owned it), it is also a 2001 model so has preload, I did wind in the preload a bit earlier this week and again,  I wonder if this could cause it?, i have wound it back out now and will check it on the road tomorrow, any guidance or advice welcome as it is a bit disconcerting, especially as I like to ride with quite a light grip on the bars :eek

Thanks in advance Jonesy 

Bar end weights will do nothing they are there to deaden vibration through the bars.  Jacking up your preload can have a impact as you are reducing/steepening the head angle to a point but you'd have to go some to make it start shaking it's head.  Check the headraces as if they are loose/worn they will be far more sensitive to any shock adjustment or tyre wear/pressures.       

Later

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 21 April 2013, 12:31:35 pm »

Thanks in advance Jonesy 

Bar end weights will do nothing they are there to deaden vibration through the bars.  Jacking up your preload can have a impact as you are reducing/steepening the head angle to a point but you'd have to go some to make it start shaking it's head.  Check the headraces as if they are loose/worn they will be far more sensitive to any shock adjustment or tyre wear/pressures.       

Thanks, have wound the preload back out again and no real difference, always wondered whether the preload does much at all!, anyhows it only happens when taking hands off the bars so not a big issue, I have planned some progressive springs and a new front tyre in a few months and a service in a couple of weeks when I'll ask them to check the head races, so hopefully all that that will make a difference.

Jonesy

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 April 2013, 01:27:57 pm »
They've already got progressive springs as standard.
I'd be inclined to change the fork oil if you don't know when it was last checked, and make sure the levels are spot on.
The level for 00/01 bikes are different to 98/99 bikes because you have the adjusters, so more internal metal work and less oil, so make sure you get the correct air gap from the manual.
And i don't know what build you are, but if you are of the heavier variety then try using 15w grade oil rather than 10w, i found it to make the front end much more stable, but then i'm no lightweight.
If you look like you need a good meal then stay with the 10w otherwise you'll find it a bit bumpy up front, although at least you can use your adjusters.
I've got older forks without adjusters on my 00/01 bike, but have had no problems at all.  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 April 2013, 03:42:42 pm »
They've already got progressive springs as standard.
I'd be inclined to change the fork oil if you don't know when it was last checked, and make sure the levels are spot on.
The level for 00/01 bikes are different to 98/99 bikes because you have the adjusters, so more internal metal work and less oil, so make sure you get the correct air gap from the manual.
And i don't know what build you are, but if you are of the heavier variety then try using 15w grade oil rather than 10w, i found it to make the front end much more stable, but then i'm no lightweight.
If you look like you need a good meal then stay with the 10w otherwise you'll find it a bit bumpy up front, although at least you can use your adjusters.
I've got older forks without adjusters on my 00/01 bike, but have had no problems at all.  :)

Never knew that!, just saved me £100, thanks, I'm 12 stone so pretty average build, I think I'll get a new tyre as one will be needed soon and make sure they balance it at the same time and see if that helps.

Do you have any guide on what I should set the preload at?, i see there are 6 marks, when I got it a month ago you could see 5 of the markings, it is a bit bumpy on the front end but the roads in Devon are in a pretty shit way which doesn't help. I have no idea how suspension settings work regarding sag and all that!

Jonesy

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 April 2013, 05:49:33 pm »
I always preferred the front to be firm firstly 'cos i'm heavier but also 'cos i used to take passengers and you get much better control when the front isn't diving on braking.
When i had adjustable forks i had them turned right in with just the one notch showing.
For your weight i wouldn't try the 15w oil, i reckon you'll find it too firm.
If i was you i'd try it on the 3rd notch for a while and if you don't like it move one notch at a time until you feel what's best for you.

domtrails

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Tenere 600 old but great
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 April 2013, 05:59:54 pm »
If its done it from purchase then it could be twisted forks, if its been a gradual thing then change the front tyre and or get it balanced properly. Worst thing is a bent and or twisted frame - dont want to scare you but maybe you should have a close look.
Do it once and do it well

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 April 2013, 06:40:11 pm »
If its done it from purchase then it could be twisted forks, if its been a gradual thing then change the front tyre and or get it balanced properly. Worst thing is a bent and or twisted frame - dont want to scare you but maybe you should have a close look.

Eeeeek! , no worries though, bike was HPI checked and thoroughly checked over at my local garage prior to purchase so am pretty confident that all is okay structurally  :) , front tyre is a bit square and doesn't have much life left so will replace sooner rather than later and get balanced etc, with hands on the bars there's no wobble at all right up to warp speed, its just when releasing them a wobble starts, exactly as the OP described, I'll also set the preload to 3 and take it from there, thanks for the advice

Jonesy

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 April 2013, 07:16:19 pm »
Don't forget when a tyre is worn the balancing is not as accurate as when it was new, 'cos there's less rubber and weight.

domtrails

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Tenere 600 old but great
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 April 2013, 07:48:17 pm »
Almost defo the front tyre - get it changed but beware you will find the bike handles rather well with new boots dont fall into the trap I fell into of over confidence and then come a cropper...... :'(
Do it once and do it well

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 April 2013, 03:56:23 pm »
Just in case anyone else has this problem, today I had a new front tyre fitted and balanced and voila problem solved, sorry to highjack your thread stevierst and hope you solve your problem soon.

Jonesy