Date: 19-05-24  Time: 08:59 am

Author Topic: fzs600 to r6  (Read 1509 times)

maclean

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
fzs600 to r6
« on: 06 March 2013, 10:32:44 am »
Hi,

I’ve been riding my 2002 fzs600 for 4 years and decided to get my self a 2005 r6.   I’ve not picked it up yet but am keeping the FZS for now, as its been a fantastic bike but due to me crashing it in the first year of owning it and fixing it myself, its still got some battle scars so would get pennies for what is still a fantastic mechanically sound bike.

What’s your guys experience of an r6 against the fzs600.  Things I’m expecting:

To be gutless for majority of rev range but kick in with lots of power when you scream it.
Nippier handling.
To be lower and more uncomfortable than the Fazer after some time in the saddle.

What other +’s and –‘s am I missing out here.  Expecting an obvious Fazer bias here but hit me with it non the less.

Insurance is fine, I’ve got that covered.  I don’t tour,  I’m a bit of a weekend warrior + very occasional commute tbh.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
Re: fzs600 to r6
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2013, 11:32:11 am »
Hi,

I’ve been riding my 2002 fzs600 for 4 years and decided to get my self a 2005 r6.   I’ve not picked it up yet but am keeping the FZS for now, as its been a fantastic bike but due to me crashing it in the first year of owning it and fixing it myself, its still got some battle scars so would get pennies for what is still a fantastic mechanically sound bike.

What’s your guys experience of an r6 against the fzs600.  Things I’m expecting:

To be gutless for majority of rev range but kick in with lots of power when you scream it.
Nippier handling.
To be lower and more uncomfortable than the Fazer after some time in the saddle.

What other +’s and –‘s am I missing out here.  Expecting an obvious Fazer bias here but hit me with it non the less.

Insurance is fine, I’ve got that covered.  I don’t tour,  I’m a bit of a weekend warrior + very occasional commute tbh.

For weekend joyrides (little commute, touring etc) the only flaw of an R6 is the speed - watch out for radars and price, ofcourse. If you can afford it, give it a go.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2013, 12:43:47 pm »
Comfort & riding position will be worlds apart, but if you only do short-ish trips it wont be a problem. Sh1t for pillions if you take any.

20 hp more and 20 kilos lighter - performance will be superb in comparison, but at some cost - usually 35mpg instead of 50mpg on the Fazer600. But as long as you like living above 6000rpm it will sail along. Will probably burn through tyres & pads quicker too.

Watch out for 2nd gear issues, although it may just have been the earlier 5EB model that had gearbox problems

Consider investing in a steering damper

Increase your security planning as it may be more tempting for thieves

maclean

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2013, 02:30:55 pm »
Thanks guys,

Kebab, regarding potential 2nd gear issue,  i've already selectected a bike and agreed on a price providing im happy after a test ride this weekend.  Baring in mind its a new unfamilliar bike, how can I test it out for a potential 2nd gear issues? Just gun it in second? 
« Last Edit: 06 March 2013, 02:33:56 pm by maclean »

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2013, 06:01:42 pm »
Get into 2nd and accelerate hard, then close the throttle, let it slow and then accelerate hard again. If there's anything issues, it'll probably pop out of gear. As to the differences, it'll be a lot quicker but missing some low down power, it'll brake and handle much nicer too. Only issues though will be less miles to the gallon, and they're not good for pillion. Riding position is actually quite comfortable, or it is for me. That said, being 20 I find most things comfortable, although I do actuallyprefer sport bike dpositions, as upright bikes give me back ache. Once you get used to it you'll be able to hammer it hard, well worth getting the suspension set up as a minimum, and if you've the money I'd possibly go the whole hog and get your stock stuff revalved and springed for your weight and riding style. Would definitely think about a steering damper though, they're quite powerful and very little, and accelerating over bumpy ground will be a tad twitchy, to say the least0!

maclean

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2013, 08:15:18 pm »
Get into 2nd and accelerate hard, then close the throttle, let it slow and then accelerate hard again. If there's anything issues, it'll probably pop out of gear. As to the differences, it'll be a lot quicker but missing some low down power, it'll brake and handle much nicer too. Only issues though will be less miles to the gallon, and they're not good for pillion. Riding position is actually quite comfortable, or it is for me. That said, being 20 I find most things comfortable, although I do actuallyprefer sport bike dpositions, as upright bikes give me back ache. Once you get used to it you'll be able to hammer it hard, well worth getting the suspension set up as a minimum, and if you've the money I'd possibly go the whole hog and get your stock stuff revalved and springed for your weight and riding style. Would definitely think about a steering damper though, they're quite powerful and very little, and accelerating over bumpy ground will be a tad twitchy, to say the least0!

Okay thanks joe,  Any idea of the cause of these 2nd gear issues and if a bike has this issue what the issue is exactly, what parts need replaced?  Will likely walk away if it has it but just so I know.

I did think before hand I would be cramped up on it as I'm a bit over 6ft but was pleasantly surprised when sitting on it.  Deffo more hunched but not as bad as I was expecting, granted I haven't ridden the thing for any length of time yet.

I ain't planning on going too crazy too soon so will maybe look into suspension in future, but will be taking it easy enough that it shouldn't matter too much for now.

Cheers

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2013, 09:57:28 pm »
There are occasional exceptions but a quick search of the net shows that the 5SL gearbox is normally used to fix the older 5EB model's 2nd gear, so it should be fine (unlike the unlucky sod below)

2005 05 R6 Transmission 2nd Gear Broken Tooth

2005 05 R6 Transmission 2nd Gear Broken Tooth

DaxPlusPlus

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2013, 10:44:04 pm »
I loved my old R6 - would rather have it than the Fazer I've got at the moment .. but (and it's a bit of a show stopper for me at the moment) it just isn't a practical day to day bike if you do a decent amount of mileage. Just like all sporty bikes it's got a ridiculously short tank range - 120 miles or so.

Other than that you'll love it if you like a great handling sports bike :-)