Date: 28-04-24  Time: 07:11 am

Author Topic: A few questions from a newbie 1000 owner  (Read 3170 times)

Karl

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
A few questions from a newbie 1000 owner
« on: 05 November 2011, 04:19:36 pm »
Hello Folks
I'm new to the FOC...and the new owner of a 2005 FZS 1000. So far really enjoying the bike after having ridden an FZ6 for 4yrs. I'm getting used to a few aspects of the bike though...and at the risk of sounding like an idiot I was hoping I might get some advice! So here goes:

1. Electrical problem
When the bike is ticking over, if I flash the main beam the petrol warning light comes on, the oil light comes on and it resets both the trips. The easy solution is of course dont flash the beam  ;) but I wondered if this implied that the battery needs replacing or if there is something else amiss?

2. Revs when setting off
Pulling away from the traffic lights, the bike seems to need an awful lots of revs to get going - its almost like nothing happens when the clutch bites, but a few seconds later its fine and all is well as you move up through the gears. To be honest, its bloody annoying - we all need to get away from the lights if we've filtered through and this is a bit difficult. Is this what the Ivans kit is for? Or does it need some time on the dyno? Or something else? Thoughts appreciated folks.

Cheers
Karl

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
Re: A few questions from a newbie 1000 owner
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2011, 05:58:43 pm »
Problem One is likely to be a short somewhere - try cleaning the connector block under the left fairing inner as a starting point.

Problem Two sounds like an Exup related one - do a search on here and then investigate.

On the Gas! :stop

On the Gas! :stop

Karl

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2011, 06:01:25 pm »

Thanks Male Whale - I've been looking around the new and the old sites...so I'll search a bit more for these specifically. The starting issue came up once before...some suggested its the rider! Others that the carbs might need cleaning. I'll investigate :-)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2011, 06:07:36 pm »
Hi Karl and welcome. :)

Your electrical problem does sound like a battery on its last legs.  When you draw extra current for the main beams it's enough to make the instrument cluster go 'wibble'.  Strange goings-on with the clocks are usually symptomatic of a battery issue. 

The off-idle flat spot isn't right.  Could be indicative of a slight blockage in one or more pilot jets (the Gen 1 is susceptible to this if laid up for any length of time) or perhaps a maladjusted EXUP valve.  You should get to know your EXUP really soon as failing to maintain it properly will cause you all sorts of grief later. 

Dyno time not required ... I'll answer your Ivan's question in my e-mail reply to you. :)

Cheers

Mike

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2011, 07:09:15 pm »
We all bleet on about how good the ivans kit is, and belive me it is good lol. but i do find we offten jump stright to " get it ivanised" rather than what mike has done this time and actualy try to solve a problem that may actualy be there first.

My first call would be check the Exup is adjusted correctly 1 it can cause pick up probles (although i would have expected that to be more the bike running flat rather than strugling to pull away) and 2 its something you want to get serviced asap to make sure you stay on top of it.
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/ should be your first call for this. it has loads of good info
also invest in a haynes manual. this bike is nice to work on so a manual is allways a big help.

Karl

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2011, 09:13:18 pm »
Hi Everyone
This is all fantastic. I'll definitely have a look at the exup valve...I met another Fazer owner who lives locally (and recommended this site) who said he would help me take a look.

Mike has very generously given me guidance via email. Ivan's looking a strong contender for my next birthday present.  :b

And thanks all for taking the time and trouble to reply. FOC already feels like a nice community.
Cheers
Karl

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2011, 09:31:24 pm »
Hi, i had similar probs with a gen1 regarding the electrical problem disco lights! i checked the charge from the battery and all earths i even brought a s/h loom but in the end i removed the left side fairing pan cleaned the wires inside the white plug but it never made any difference so i cut all the wires from the white connector and soldered all the wires together problem solved.

WELCOME  :) 

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2011, 07:42:32 am »
The connector CT referred to is the one mentioned here.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2011, 08:02:39 pm »

I was in the shop at the same time as he was looking to buy another bike, long story short after getting the lowdown from me and a quick test ride he was sold!

So next sunday, I will take it for a test ride to accertain the bogging down issue(see if its the exup or just the "they all do that sir, you just gotta get the technique right", show him how to service the exup, have a look at the accessory socket in the infill panel and find a competitively priced battery should it need replacing.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2011, 09:47:49 pm »
Serviced the Exup, but one of the bolts was so corroded that even after an hour of fuch penatrating fluid and some gentle persuation the bolt sheared. Found a load of gunk(looked like some sort of resin) all over the pully and cables. The bogging down or starting issue wasnt there after servicing, but a longer checking/testing period maybe in order.

Did find that the clutch is slipping when you give it a handfull, so will help matey swap the springs/friction plates when the time comes. Other than that the bike is a gooden.