Date: 20-04-24  Time: 00:09 am

Author Topic: Rattle in neutral  (Read 2482 times)

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Rattle in neutral
« on: 08 April 2017, 08:09:55 am »
I've noticed of late that there appears to be a rattle when in neutral.  Disappears when I pull in the clutch but is there when released.  Also, sounds a bit like I have a nest of starlings in the gearbox when moving/accelerating!

Any idea's fellow Foccers?

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Rattle in neutral
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2017, 11:36:50 am »
Rattle in neutral that goes when the clutch is engaged is normal. Not sure about the nest of starlings though.

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2017, 01:14:25 pm »

Rattle is standard noise with clutch, unless it's very bad. Prob just normal wear on clutch basket.
If in doubt get it checked. Or pull cover and inspect.
Check oil level, seems that near top of inspection glass is best. 

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2017, 03:11:45 pm »
Thanks guys, if I pull the cover, what am I looking for with regards to wear.

Could the nest of starlings be clutch basket noise as well?  It's not particularly loud, either the rattle or the starlings but I'm sure it's something that wasn't there before.  Oil level appeared fine last time I had a quick look, certainly not low in any case.

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2017, 09:07:56 am »
Anyone?  I have no idea what a worn clutch basket would look like!  Give me a car and I'll diagnose and fix the problem, give me a bike and I haven't the foggiest  :o

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2017, 09:16:12 am »
The rattle is worse when the carbs need a balance.

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2017, 08:27:55 am »
Thanks for that Whale although I'm inclined to think that's not the issue here but it's certainly something I'll look into once I've checked out the clutch basket and plates!  I've just read somewhere else that dry plates can cause a squealing effect so perhaps this is my nest of starlings I speak of!?

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2017, 09:09:47 am »

Once inside the clutch cover there's a plug that sits in the centre of the clutch assembly - it should be intact and in place rather than floating around inside, that's the first check point.

Taking the plates out and measuring the total stack height and comparing to the manual specs is also easy, assuming you have access to a micrometer or equivalent. Genuine plates are cheap if I recall, should they be out of spec.

The 'fingers' of the clutch basket are, ideally, smooth. Very slight grooving is acceptable but scores are a sign of wear. It's very easy to tell, a visual inspection or running a finger over them type easy. Gentle filing is fine but much material removal will lead to a rattly clutch. New baskets are expensive.

If all the above checks out then removing the basket (a bit awkward as the holding nut is is tightened to a high torque, pulling the bike along or over is very possible) and inspecting the springs embedded in the back is next. My springs had large gaps between them and the basket back so I bit the bullet and had them tig welded to the basket at their 'push' end. (On the basis that if it didn't work I'd buy a new basket.) Once re-assembled my clutch has been quiet and perfect in operation for 6000 miles or so. I fully appreciate that this is a fairly drastic solution and not for everyone, but it worked a treat for me.

Reassembly is straight forward enough (the time honoured 'reversal of removal') except re-torquing the basket bolt gives the same risks as removal and I found locating the pivot arm in the cover correctly fiddly and awkward, it took me several attempts before I was satisfied that it was right.

Also bear in mind that cable adjustment makes a massive difference. Genuine cables work well, after market cables are pretty useless, I put this down to four right angles between the lever and clutch housing.

Hope this helps.
is it clean enough?

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2017, 09:23:26 am »
Perfect, thanks blud  ;)

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2017, 10:27:05 am »
Well, I've just checked free play and get around 10mm so all okay there!  Cable movement is smooth and easy enough so all okay there!  Chain tension is between 40-45mm all round, mostly closer to 45mm but still within range so all good there also!

At the very least I need to get a gasket so I can check everything in the housing and put it all back together if nowt is wrong.  Bike's only on around 39000 miles so I'm not thinking the clutch is due for renewal just yet but you never know!

EDIT:  I've just double checked the chain and it actually appears it may need adjusting so I'll do that first.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2017, 10:39:37 am by scoobiemandan »

Timbo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 June 2017, 01:37:08 pm »

"Once inside the clutch cover there's a plug that sits in the centre of the clutch assembly - it should be intact and in place rather than floating around inside, that's the first check point."

Can anyone offer a part number for the plug, I'm trying to identify it. I assume I will need a new gasket once I have taken the cover off. Will I need anything else to check this? The bike does not change gear too well 1st to 2nd at low speed around town etc. Not major but annoying!

Bw

Timbo

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 June 2017, 03:34:36 pm »
Not sure you'll find a part number for the plug as it's oressed in during manufacture and thus an integral part of the mainshaft not a separate item. 

Well, not meant to be separate ... ;)

Timbo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 June 2017, 06:27:47 pm »
Not sure you'll find a part number for the plug as it's oressed in during manufacture and thus an integral part of the mainshaft not a separate item. 

Well, not meant to be separate ... ;)

I see, well I will do when I get in there. Plastic I assume?