Date: 08-05-24  Time: 15:40 pm

Author Topic: Stuttering Fazer 1000  (Read 7067 times)

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
Stuttering Fazer 1000
« on: 30 August 2015, 05:39:01 pm »
Hi all,
I have a 2003 Fazer 1000 with 14k on the clock. It had some light cosmetic damage and had been stood about six months. The bikes exup was a little sticky when I got it. It's got a full service history. Since repairing it I have serviced the bike, fitted Ivan's full Monty, iridium plugs,pipercross air filter, modified air box and manifold rubbers, balanced carbs, serviced exup. The bike also got new coils as it was running on three cylinders. The bike has an issue with stuttering really badly at around 2500 to 3500 rpm almost clears by 4000rpm and then takes off like a scalded cat. If you go from a standing start and nail the throttle the problem doesn't show but anywhere in those revs if you crack the throttle the bike almost dies. I have had the carbs out three times now, checked fuel, used fuel additives, checked plugs, checked exup valve and cables, checked fuel hoses and filters, checked breathers and anything else which might normally be an issue. The problem still persists! It's driving me insane. Is there anyone out there who could point me in the right direction?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Stuttering Fazer 1000
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2015, 05:54:43 pm »
Could be blocked pilot jets.  Take 'em out and make sure the tiny hole at the end is clear - not the obvious holes in the sides of the jet.

Also, you say you've checked the plugs.  What do you mean by that?  I would fit new plugs and also trim 1/2" off the end of the plug lead where it screws into the cap.

Did this problem pre-date the jet kit installation and other mods?
« Last Edit: 30 August 2015, 05:57:12 pm by Falcon 269 »

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2015, 06:03:06 pm »
Unfortunately I can't confirm or deny if the bike ran similar before I got it as it was bought from a mates Dad. I only have his word it was ok. When I say I have checked the plugs I mean they were all new and they have been each in turn placed into a spark plug tool to check spark. All ok. The coils are new and I have already trimmed the ht leads back with no change. The Ivan's kit was brand new and all components appeared in order

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2015, 08:02:07 pm »
Blocked pilot jets/circuit are a favourite in bikes that haven't been ridden for a while.

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2015, 07:26:05 am »
Ok. Thanks Falcon. Carbs out for the 4th time then!

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2015, 08:55:46 am »
It was running on three - new coils do nothing for that. Coils run two cylinders each.

That is a plug problem.

If the bike has been started and left to tick over like most do when they are stood then the plug has been become "wet" and needs replacing no matter how shiny it looks.

Start with the most obvious (and cheapest) thing.

New set of plugs.

Whale

On the Gas! :stop

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2015, 05:48:17 pm »
Yup, a lot easier than yanking carbs - although you have had enough practice recently! :)

vinnychoff

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Moto Guzzi California II
    • View Profile
    • Ducati 916 blog
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2015, 02:57:24 pm »
I would go for the easy things first.
is the exup ok? does it move easily. did it drop back down? as mine is sticky and i think affects my low down running.
fuel could you drain complete tank. could be water in there. does the tank over flow work. eg water in the top by filler drains away

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2015, 04:55:08 pm »
Well a little update. Sorry it's taken a while to come back to you guys who contributed...bloody work! Firstly as part of a service all the plugs were replaced with spangly new iridium ones. This was done before the coils were replaced chaps. I have had them out and all looks well. As mentioned before I was aware the bike hadn't been run in a while when I got it so I was thinking fuelling. I have had the carbs out again...it gets quicker every time I do it! Think I could do it with my eyes closed now! ;-) I carefully blew out each jet with a air hose. One of the pilot jets I found to be very slightly dirty but far from fully blocked. While I was in there I checked and double checked the Ivans kit was as it should be...jet sizes, needles...remeasured springs...float heights etc. all ok. Sooooo..back together again. Stutter..it's less noticeable. You can go from standstill and accelerate through the 2500 k flat spot with no issues. Coming on the throttle hard in that rev zone though it still bogs down, clears it's throat chugging then tears off as you would expect. I have been running it into work and back 40 miles each way to get some fresh fuel round the system. I have even tried fuel cleaner additives and super unleaded. Most of the time the bike runs ok so I just got on with it and slipped the clutch to get me through the rough patch should it require it. I was starting to think the fresh fuel and cleaner was having an effect then on the way home yesterday after around 20 miles of riding the bike started running rough then dropped to a triple and virtually came to a halt. It was popping and spluttering and I kind of limped along revving the tits off the thing trying to clear what I took to be a blockage. Anyway..5 miles along the road the bike was so bad I stopped. I swore a lot gave it five mins of thinking then started it up. Bugger me if it didn't start straight up on all four again!. The usual 2500 k thing still persists but rest of the way home was ok. I even took it out for half an hour later that evening but couldn't get it to do the same again. So in a nut shell..it's running a bit better since cleaning the pilot jets but the stutter low down persists. I am at the point of considering getting the carbs properly sonic cleaned. Thanks for your patience guys and your thoughts.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2015, 11:36:48 am »
You say the coils are new but are the second hand ones? If so have a look at the pins inside where the leads go, mine has corroded and broke off , I had a stutter at low revs and I modded my bike to stick coils, no more leads to go wrong and only one cylinder to be affected if a cool fails.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2015, 11:42:02 am »
Sounds like an intermittent electrical fault rather than fuel-related.

Check/clean all the wiring connectors under the tank and the fairing inserts.

Give the ignition switch a thorough blast through with electrical contact cleaner or WD-40. 

Consider changing the fuel filter (although mine is still on the original at 12 years/55k miles).

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2015, 07:29:40 pm »
Thanks again for your thoughts all. The coils were brand new. I will have a go at the electrics during the evenings this week and report back.....and so off to the man cave! :'( ....again

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #12 on: 15 September 2015, 01:30:55 am »
Get a cheap infra red temperature probe - check which cylinder is misfiring by seeing which is cooler.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handheld-Non-Contact-IR-Laser-Infrared-Digital-Temperature-Gun-Thermometer-UK-/310646217329?hash=item4853f51a71

Switch the plug from a "good" cylinder".

If the misfire moves, it's the plug.

Then switch the cap if it continues to play up.

Then the lead.

If it is still here, it is the carb.

Or maybe an ECU - had a Sprint ST that did that and eventually it was a dodgy ECU. But that shit is RARE!

Be systematic or you will be here for ever.

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2015, 09:16:06 pm »
Get a cheap infra red temperature probe - check which cylinder is misfiring by seeing which is cooler.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handheld-Non-Contact-IR-Laser-Infrared-Digital-Temperature-Gun-Thermometer-UK-/310646217329?hash=item4853f51a71

Switch the plug from a "good" cylinder".

If the misfire moves, it's the plug.

Cheap Infrared Temp gauge - now that would have come in handy 30 yrs ago! What an excellent idea - I do believe Aldi were flogging them not to long ago.

Then switch the cap if it continues to play up.

Then the lead.

If it is still here, it is the carb.

Or maybe an ECU - had a Sprint ST that did that and eventually it was a dodgy ECU. But that shit is RARE!

Be systematic or you will be here for ever.

Whale

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2015, 08:56:25 am »
The saga continues.....so this weeks fun and games!
Whale...everything you suggested done. Everything is ok. Worth mentioning that this was happening before I replaced coils, plugs.
Falcon....I have worked my way along the wiring loom. Admittedly one or two wiring blocks I haven't got into yet but main ones checked. No corrosion and a good spray of wd40.
So...I rode upto Edinburgh from York on Friday and back again Saturday via the scenic route. Generally the bike rides well with a strong midrange and screaming top end. The little stutter around 2500 k is still there but I think it's less pronounced so I am leaning towards perhaps an emulsion tube hole leading to a jet perhaps being slightly blocked and riding it is starting to clear the blockage. However...after running pretty well for about 150 miles without warning the bike coughed,spluttered and dropped to a triple,then a twin and then nearly died before limping along slowly for about 10 minutes. It then went back to all four and ran pretty much as it should for around a further 50 miles. The following day the same thing happened after only 30 miles riding but this time it only lasted 4 minutes! I am leaning towards Falcons suggestion of a intermittent electrical fault being the culprit and I just haven't identified it yet. I found a post on here on a fazer 600 with similar issues and it turned out to be a faulty regulator even though the battery wasn't draining. My battery is fine and I have a spare regulator so I might give that a go. It can't hurt trying that. So as you can see gents a little further forward in that we seem to have two separate issues identified. Fuelling...getting there. Winter may see a ultra sonic clean of the carbs until then I will live with it or with use it might clear. Electrical...somewhere the pesky fault is hiding and I just have to identify where. Time allowing I will try and attack the loom again this week armed with wd40, a electric testing meter and a swear box! On top of everything else the fork seals on my Big Bang r1 have blown! Grrrrrr! Got a beautiful original red and white 1998 4xv r1 for sale though if anyone is desperate to rid themselves of their money and help fund my projects.  :lol

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 September 2015, 09:19:16 am »
The connections into the reg/rect could be your problem. Change the reg/rect to eliminate that as the problem ;)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2015, 09:32:59 am »
Hi covertlaugh.......the "stuttering 600 "thread was mine  :o....havn't replied to your thread because I never pin pointed the problem, like you I found a few "maybe's"..replaced lots of parts inc carbs, coils, ECU and reg/rect......the wiring on the reg/rect was worn through where it passes through the cover and I think this was the cause of my stutter....just my opinion, but as all ready mentioned below worth checking.....drove me absolutely foccin mad but sorted in the end, bike is running better now than it has in 14 ish years of ownership....good luck matey I really do hope you sort it,, be watching you thread with interest  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 September 2015, 06:36:39 pm »
This is the sort of thing you might be looking for:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138735

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 September 2015, 05:46:29 pm »
Hi All. This week I have worked my way along the wiring loom unplugged every connection I came to,cleaned and re plugged them. Nothing interesting found. Replaced both coils, HT leads and regulator rectifier. Checked battery and connections. Used multimeter on starter motor relay, fuel relay, battery...all ok. You guessed it still doing the exact same thing!!!!!! Tomorrow I will be having a Fazer bonfire!  :\ :o

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 October 2015, 11:42:08 am »
Still got issues....still trying to find the problem.....still pulling my hair out!

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 October 2015, 01:05:17 pm »
I'm having a very similar problem with mine but as yet not tried anything, it'll be coming off the road at the end of the month to get fettled by my mate at Bolton Motorcycle Workshop (yes that is a blatant plug) he's the best I know on bikes and he's pretty much saying the same as Mike re floats and jets so they will be our first port of call.
If we/he gets it sorted I'll post an update.

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 October 2015, 05:01:22 pm »
Thanks Mick. I hope yours is a straight forward fix over the trouble I have had with mine!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 October 2015, 09:38:59 pm »
make sure you run the engine in the dark,,look for spark leaks on ht leads.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 October 2015, 07:39:56 pm »
It's fixed!!!! :) :) :)
Ok...so interesting problems were finally identified.
Fuelling...unbelievably one of the tiny springs which tension the carb needle to the plastic housing needle cap inside the diaphragm had failed. It was snapped in two but remained on the top of the needle (luckily!) but there was no longer correct tension on the needle. This in effect allowed the needle to vibrate and jump about leading to the stutter. If you were smooth on the throttle it hardly registered but grab a handful and it reared it's head. Who would of thought it?
Electrical fault...Right hand coil. Where the two wires which attach to the coil with push clips. The wires feed back into the loom and are covered with a protective plastic cover. Once I cut the cover away approx. 2 inches along the loom I found one of the coil wires had corroded. I know it was still protected by plastic but somehow this was intermittently shorting.
It's been a journey and a half with this one and I guess it's unusual for either of these faults to occur on a Fazer ( my middle names Lucky!) but hopefully if anyone comes across a Fazer with similar problems then don't discount what I found on mine. Normal service has now resumed baiting the young guns on sports bikes and to say I am now a happie chappie is an understatement. Thanks to everyone who contributed and showed an interest in my thread. Keep it sunny side all! Cheers!

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 October 2015, 10:10:49 pm »
Nice one, thanks for the update.