Date: 06-05-24  Time: 11:31 am

Author Topic: Screen?  (Read 1613 times)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Screen?
« on: 12 February 2013, 04:26:01 pm »
Well went for a decent longish ride today, got up to the heady heights of about 80mph, and noticed that I was getting a fair old bit of wind noise around my helmet! I did suspect coming from a fully faired sports bike to a semi faired one I'd notice a bit of a difference, so took it as granted. I did however, then notice that if I sat bolt upright it was a bit better. Stood up on the pegs and lifted my ass a couple inches off the seat, and it was like I'd just put my head into a bubble, it was lovely and quiet! Obviously my body was getting a bit more battered, but my head was in the quiet.
I know the screen on there isn't stock, it's tinted for one thing. It's not a double bubble though and does look to me as though it's roughly the standard height?

So if this is roughly the stock screen, what screen would be recommended for someone about 5 foot 10 to push the wind over my head?
« Last Edit: 12 February 2013, 04:28:13 pm by JoeRock »

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Screen?
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2013, 04:35:37 pm »
You can either fit a shorter 'sports' screen, or tune the height of your own screen of your a dab hand with the tools. I did the latter on my fz1, and tuned the height of my touring screen so it didn't deafen me. Only chopped about 1 1/2 inch off the height, made a massive difference. :)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2013, 07:33:46 pm »
You will not push the wind over your head, it will just be lifted to your shoulders and be very noisey, so keep a low screen and ride in clean air.

Billy
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2013, 08:03:46 pm »
Try not to get into the screen hunt ,you will either be lucky and find one or spend money buying and trying several and be happy with none of them.Even the Vario with several height adjustments didnt do it for me,or the Z/G double bubble or the Yam touring screen ive ended up back with the Powerbronze d/b which is far from good but the best ive found for me. As Homer Simpson said"Ive learned to live with the wind" :)

tiggr2

• DAS Born Again
  • If it aint broke make it faster
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2013, 06:33:49 pm »
What he said, I tried db and went back to standard you could spend a fortune, the db had less buffetiing but more noise for me but its very individual.
Where do you live you are more than welcome to try my db and if its better you can have it no problem.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2013, 11:27:09 pm »
The Givi screen works very well. 

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2013, 06:59:11 am »
The Givi screen works very well.

MEM62 can you get a pick or link up of your screen fitted so we can see a screen that could work well, thanks
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2013, 06:09:51 pm »
The trouble is what works really well for one person could be absolutely useless for another, and also head buffeting and noise could be down to your helmet or it could at least be a part of the problem.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2013, 07:26:30 pm »
By the way you described lifting your butt off the seat, you simply need to either shorten your own screen, or buy a 'sports' screen.  IMHO taller screens generally create turbulence and noise unless they're massive, but then you need a windscreen wiper  :lol
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!