Date: 17-05-24  Time: 08:14 am

Author Topic: New Fazer Owner!  (Read 5073 times)

GosportFazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
New Fazer Owner!
« on: 31 January 2014, 01:33:31 pm »
Hey guys!

Wrote off my gpz500 last monday on a ford KA that didn't see me  :eek  and now my leg has recovered I have just brought my new steed home. Loving the colour and it goes well, although it does seem to hesitate and run a little rough sub 3000rpm. Hopefully some tlc and a slight service will help that once I get some OK weather.

Anway:

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: New Fazer Owner!
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2014, 02:09:48 pm »
If it's running rough sub 3k, odds are the carbs could do with a balance :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2014, 02:13:39 pm »
If it's running rough sub 3k, odds are the carbs could do with a balance :)

:agree  Yep +1 for that.

Welcome to the site, that's a very nice looking bike.  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2014, 02:14:50 pm »
I have never liked full farings on the FZS 600 or 1000....but that actually looks ok

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2014, 02:53:44 pm »
Nice one  :thumbup . Do the carbs, that should sort yer issue. Was the wee girl thrown in with the deal, or was she yours already?
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

GosportFazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2014, 03:13:21 pm »
Haha! she was mine already.

Glad to hear everyone's consensus on the carbs, I have the carbtune in the cupboard so when I get some nice weather I'll set to balancing them, and check the plugs at the same time.

I'm not sure myself whether the lower fairing will be staying, I'm not too keen on them either, plus it kinda gets in the way of maintenance

I was a little nervy riding her home today after the accident, but I needn't have been as apart from the stutter it was quite an easy, civil ride. Also that front fairing seems to protect the hands some, and they didn't get cold; even without heated grips.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2014, 06:15:43 pm »
"...when you get some nice weather..."

Don't forget to share it will you!  :lol

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2014, 06:49:58 pm »
Hey, welcome along.

Glad you're ok after your accident, bike looks good  :)

Hope the crab balance sorts it out.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

ste131

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2014, 09:05:55 pm »
Just a thought... Is it running on all four below 3k? I worked on a Kawasaki ZX9R for a mate that was lumpy as chuff below 3k. Carbs off, cleaned... Ran fine for a minute then went back onto 3. Thought it was fuel starvation but it was over fuelling on one cylinder and fowling the plug. Replaced needle, seat and seal and all fine. Worth a try if balancing doesn't work  :)

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2014, 10:24:10 pm »
Looking good, I quite like them in gold. The tuning fork stickers are the wrong ones though!!!  ;)

Fraser

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2014, 03:11:48 pm »
I was sitting on that bike a few days ago at P&P' s, I guess you are the lucky new owner ? lots of bikes from sales places have sat around for a while as they are moved from dealer to dealer, so I would just put in some fresh petrol and do a hundred miles or so before thinking about touching anything. Also, if you have any real problems take it back, Peter the owner relies on his reputation and won't hesitate to have it back to sort any problems. Simon the mechanic who works there is very experienced and totally trustworthy.
I have no connection with P&P, just my own personnel experience .
Old enough to know better

Fraser

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2014, 03:13:13 pm »
BTW, why didn't you buy the Super Fast Red one that they have got ??   LOL

GosportFazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2014, 03:33:53 pm »
Haha! yeah I'm the new owner. Bike had half a tank when I got her, but once home I did brim her with esso super thinking the same thing about stale fuel.

It actually took me quite a long time to pick between the red and the gold one they had, the red one looked liked it had seen slightly less weather, but mechanically (brake pads, tyres, bearings etc) the gold one seemed better - even though the red had  receipts for 1500+ of servicing and repair bills over the last couple of years! Also the gold one had a set of stainless pipes. The deal was sealed when the red one failed to start and run up smoothly and the gold one did.

I'm still not sure which was the  better buy but I'm happy with the gold one as I also prefer the colour (less fading!)

It has been really showery here today, but I have just managed to get 20 dry minutes outside to give her a once over, and everything actually seems better than I had thought condition wise - the tools are also present and correct! I started her up for a few minutes to check all four header pipes were getting hot - and they certainly are! *blows on fingers some more* So hopefully a plug gap check and a carb balance will see me right.

Watch this space!

Fraser

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2014, 04:05:24 pm »
IMHO, Esso Super may not be doing you any favours, its a slightly higher octane fuel, your bike and mine are set up ( ignition timing/advance ) for crappy low octane fuel, I still think a few hundred miles might help the situation, IF IT EVER STOPS RAINING

actually, tomorrow doesn't look too grim.

GosportFazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2014, 04:10:39 pm »
I normally wouldn't use esso super, but in this instance I chose to as when fuel degrades and becomes stale, from what I remember it actually reduces it's octane level slightly as it goes. So - my thinking was that a half n half mix might get it somewhere near normal level lol - but in all honesty who knows! Might be an old wives tale.

I'm hoping to check the carb balance tomorrow, shouldn't take too long and cant hurt. Can always re do it with a service later in the year.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 February 2014, 09:57:59 pm »
Welcome & if you haven't seen this yet:
 http://foc-u.co.uk/?topic=91.0
motorcycle carburetor balancing- Carbtune

May I suggest that it maybe best to use only standed 95octane when carb balancing as Fraser has mentioned,you could add a fuel preserve which contains a carb cleaner which should clean out any sludge but I wouldn't add to esso super as fuel preserve increases octane levels also.
Great bikes enjoy! I have a 98 model in red. :)   

Beeblebrox2nd

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2014, 11:25:33 pm »
Lovin' the full fairing there. I can see why you went for it after having a GPZ500.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2014, 09:20:37 am »
This gear works very well for a general tidy up.
This is the standard price, just use half a bottle each time over 2 full tanks.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=869339&catalogId=10151

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2014, 10:08:17 am »
It's possible the carbs need balancing, but it's also possible the pilot jets are partially blocked.

If the problem relates to throttle opening as much as rev's it's probably a good idea to check the pilot jets.

GosportFazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 February 2014, 11:26:14 am »
Thanks chaps, and especially bandit, that guide is spot on!

Having tea break half way through now.

Lower fairing is off, and I have re-gapped all the plugs (there were all about 0.9 - 1.0mm). Tank is on the seat ready for carb balancing next - just need some warm tea to see me through!

Any full carb overhauls (if needed) will have to wait til spring before I deem them necessary (or a complete break down!)

GosportFazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 February 2014, 04:13:12 pm »
Mission accomplished!

Carbs were definitely a bit out and it did take a while to straighten out but I got them all within a division on the scale.
There is still a small intermittent stumble on idle, I think from Cyclinder no. 2 as it seemed to fluctuate more than the others.

But I have to say its a different bike now. Went for a short test ride and I can now roll on from just above idle and the pickup is dead smooth, as is throttling off for traffic. Much more manageable. So I'm looking forward to the week ahead now.

Having seen the aged plugs, I'm guessing the previous owners were all about the looks and not so much the mechanical servicing so I think I'll get on and and order new plugs, air filter, oil etc and change a few serviceables. other than that I'm gonna run her for a few hundred miles and see if the idle smooths out completely.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and suggestions, I can see this forum is going to be invaluable.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 February 2014, 06:33:47 pm »
Great, glad it all went well!

Sounds like someone has a big grin on their face  :lol

Enjoy it,

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 February 2014, 08:42:31 am »
Lovely looking bike. Personally, I would keep the lower fairing -- much easier to clean.

How many miles has it done? Where did you get it?

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 February 2014, 08:45:21 am »
Another reason why I like that fairing is that it might make it more difficult for little toe rags to hank out random hoses from the engine late at night...

GosportFazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 February 2014, 10:37:06 am »
Hi thanks,
Its got just under 16k on the clock and I got it from p&p motorcycles outside Chichester.
I'm liking the look of the lower fairing but it made getting at the plugs a right pig due to the way its bolted on. But working in a machine shop I think i can knock up some better brackets and spacers to make it easier.

Still running sweet as 3 days on. Really enjoying it.