Date: 28-04-24  Time: 13:23 pm

Author Topic: driveshaft bearing????????  (Read 1649 times)

spectraman101

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - gsxr 750 srad
    • View Profile
driveshaft bearing????????
« on: 23 August 2013, 06:39:11 pm »
Hi guys. I was wondering if you could help me with a problem i discovered on my 02 600. I recently got the bike so here's where i am with it so far. I went to view it before the cash was handed over, i noticed a lot of play in the chain and the sprockets looked a bit worn. I normally like to change the chain and sprocket set up when ever i get another bike so i thought, no problem, i can order the new stuff when i get home.So cash was exchanged and off i went. The chain was making a bit of noise on the way home so i thought nothing of it at the time. I got the new stuff after waiting a week for the delivery. All went well with the installation etc so i took her out for a test run. THE DAM NOISE WAS STILL THERE AARRRGHHH!!!!  So I jacked her back up again, put it in gear so i could have a listen. But i notice the chain was hopping around between the sprockets. So stripped it back down, even to the point of removing the front sprocket. I started her back up and that was when i noticed the noise was coming from the gearbox. Its almost sounds as if the gearbox has a drag spot and its not flowing freely... Any suggestions guys? output/drive shaft bearing?

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
Re: driveshaft bearing????????
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2013, 08:05:38 pm »
might be an idea to post this in the 600's section  :D

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2013, 02:31:57 pm »
The chain will bounce around on the stand as there is no load on it.

Could the noise be clutch basket or cam chain, maybe even front tyre noise. Some Bridgestones used
to do it.

I just think a slack chain, as you first saw it, would be unlikely to do the bearing.
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2013, 05:23:30 pm »
Need to be a bit more specific on the noise, will a video pick up on the noise in question?

If it turns out to be front tyre noise whilst the bike is on the centre stand i'll eat my crash helmet  :b :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2013, 06:14:10 pm »
Better start with the obvious I suppose: is the drive sprocket secure on the shaft?
If it's not the famous loose sprocket nut problem then can you feel any free play in the drive shaft? A knackered bearing on the gearbox output is fairly easy to detect.