Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Carb clean

<< < (2/4) > >>

SpiceWeasel:
Trebus, thanks but the acid test will be if it runs after putting it all back together  :lol Yes the o-rings come in a box with different sizes and are supposed to be safe with Ethanol.
EDIT: This is the kit I ordered off ebay (seller was carbtec), has a few more seals in it and not much more than buying just float bowl gaskets. Also got myself one of those valve/jet cleaning tools as well.

SpiceWeasel:
So the carbs are all cleaned out and back together again. Good job I ordered that O-ring kit as my Dad checked his order for his ones and they are not Viton, just standard Nytrile. The old ones were absolutely knackered, rock hard and some fell to bits when taking them off to replace. No surprise really as they are at least 24 years old.

We just replaced the O-rings inside the carbs and new float bowl gaskets. The jet cleaning tool and brushes came in handy, I was very carefull to try and not enlarge the holes in the jets etc.... got a good amount of green gunk out even after carb cleaner and ultrasonic cleaning from the little jet holes. A toothbrush came in very handy as well as you can clean everything without damage.

We checked the float heights, all seem to be the same height and parallel with the carb body when just resting on the little float dodahs. Left them well alone as didn't want to make it worse, hopefully they will be ok. Bike has only done about 18K ish.
This afternoon I cleaned out the blocked hole on the bottom of the fuel tank, was blocked with crusty gunk. Does anyone know if one of the tubes is a breather and one is overflow from tank? I had the tank leaned on it's side with fuel tap to the right, and a little bit of fuel came out of the bottom tube.
I have a little bit of new and old fuel still in the tank so I wacked some Redex in there and was giving it a good shake around, can't see any rust through the fuel filler cap. I will chuck this out before fitting and put some fresh petrol in.

Also fitted a new fuel filter and I have a new upgraded front sprocket nut, never checked it but for a few £ I will just swap it anyway.

Will probably have to wait until next weekend to put the old girl back together again and see if she comes back to life. I don't have carb balancers so I will probably have to take her to a shop to get set up. Could probably do with a new chain kit as well tbh, I think it's still the original but it got a bit rusty in the garage the other year. Also need to bleed the brakes....and whatever other jobs come up  :lol

unfazed:
The same thing happened to me when I was doing the Carbs of a 1973 Honda 350 Four, the O Rings were in bits, but the rubber item in the kit I bought were feck all good on the present day fuel. Even the hoses they supplied were crap. Had to do it all again 2 months later. Lost money on that job and trying to explain to the owner was nearly impossible. Emailed the suppliers of the kit ad got no satisfaction. Owner was none to pleased. Ever since I source the correct seals locally and use an OEM float bowel gasket. Many bearings suppliers also do O Rings but luckily I have a dedicated seal supplier within 12 miles of
my house.
How did you check the float levels, did you just turn the carbs upside down?

FazThou:
Did mine and once all back together and primed it started up traight away  :lol

The kit i bought had new float needle valves which meant i had to reset the float heights
Going by the manual i turned them upside down and got a measurement of 12.5-13.5mm from carb body to top of float
Been using it the last two days and is alot better
Could do with checking the carbs for balancing but will prob do that the weekend

Frasier:
I'm in the process of a complete rebuild of the bike, and just finished the carbs. It looked very similar like on the previous photos, green residue, etc. My method: complete disassembly, ultrasonic cleaning, replacing all of the gaskets, assembly. The ethanol fuel makes the brass parts pitted, and must be replaced - the jets at least. Found a great source of real viton gaskets long time ago: Litetek. It is a thai company - who thought that the best gaskets will be made in in Thailand?! All in all, I bought gasket kits from them throught the years for my YZF750R, TRX850, TT600R, and now the FZS600, and everything was perfect. I recommend them.For me it doesn't make sense to buy the OEM gaskets - they are not viton, cannot handle the ethanol. And expensive. Similarly, most of the other sellers (Ebay or moto parts shops) offer chinese gaskets, which are also not viton, under different brand names, or unbranded.To prevent the degradation on my freshly rebuilt carbs I never buy "cheap" 95 fuel, it contains 10% ethanol nowadays, instead 100 octane premium which has 5% ETBE (it doesn't absorb water like ethanol). Alternatively, if you are cost sensitive, you can put a little engine oil or 2stroke oil in your tank when filling up with cheaper petrol at the gas station, it will coat the fuel system with a thin oily layer, and provide some protection. And you can feel nostalgic, if rode 2strokes back in the day...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version