Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Gears/Revs and Advanced Training

(1/3) > >>

Celtic67:
Evening folks,

I know similar questions have been asked, but I'm currently doing the advanced training with IAM and wanted to check as I'm not entirely comfortable.

What revs or gears do you use at different speeds on the FZS600? General revs in any gear when out on a ride?

Before this, I'd normally run at around 4k comfortably, so 3rd at 30mph, 4th or 5th at 40, up to 6th somewhere over 50. I've been pulled up on this & told to be in a lower gear. They recommended I look up a power graph and tried to keep it within peak power, but I didn't find anything definitive. As a rough idea they said at least halfway to redline.

On my last run I tried that, running around 6k, meaning I was in 2nd at 30, almost up to 40. I forget the rest, maybe 3rd up to 50. It felt horrible revving like that, especially in built up areas.

Am I being overly sensitive about my engine, do other folks run at 6k in anything below top gear?

Grahamm:
I've done the IAM Advanced test on my FZ6 which tends to be a bit rev happy anyway :)

There's two different ways of handling this, depending on the situation.

If you're just out on motorways, dual carriageways etc, then the recommendation is to ride in the highest gear you can use without the engine struggling, because that gives best fuel economy.

If you're in town or riding the twisties, however it's best to gear down because that gives you the best power response when you need it.

What I'd suggest is that you pick a familiar piece of twisty road and go up and down it using different gears and see how the bike responds if you take a corner in fourth gear and compare that to if you're in third or second.

Remember that your bike is designed to rev much higher than you're used to, that's why the redline is 14k on the FZ6, those revs are there to be used :thumbup

Celtic67:
That pretty much reinforces what the observer said. I'll have to keep at it until it doesn't feel as unpleasant. I did a ride last week on roads I know, twisty 50mph, I'd probably have been in 5th previously, this time in 3rd. As you'll know, it needs to be habit, so I can't just save this for my IAM rides.

Extra emphasis on checking the oil before setting off!

BBROWN1664:
:agree

Having done teh car IAM test many many many years ago and done a couple of ride outs with BikeSafe, IAM and others over the years, its horses for courses, or gears for roads.

On a motorway etc, cruise with low revs. The rest of the time you should keep the revs around the 40-60% mark for two reasons. 1. It allows instant acceleration should it be required without wasting that second or two changing down a cog. 2, it gives maximum engine braking should you need to shut off in a hurry giving you more speed reduction than brakes alone and starts that second or so quicker.

Obviously if you are accelerating then you go over the 60% but when slowing down, you should change down to keep the revs in the right area should you need to accelerate unexpectedly again.

People think the IAM brigade ride/drive like old farts but one of my favourite phrases when preparing for my car test and doing the bike ride outs is "if it is safe to make progress, make progress" and "whilst the speed limit is not a target, it is a limit, if it is safe to do so, you should be driving at that limit" You will actually fail your test with them if you are not at or near the limit where conditions (weather/traffic/pedestrians etc etc) permit.

Grahamm:

--- Quote from: BBROWN1664 on 06 June 2022, 05:19:02 pm ---People think the IAM brigade ride/drive like old farts

--- End quote ---

The thing is, if you do it smoothly and with confidence, it can look like you're not really trying, but I've seen a guy on a Pan European keeping up with a rider on a Bandit through the twisties.

The Bandit rider thought he was "going for it", whereas the guy on the Pan was just making it look so easy... :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version