General > General

What are you going to do with your Fazer this winter...?

(1/9) > >>

Grahamm:
Ok, so we have the "what did you do with your Fazer" thread, but I've been going through the list of things that I want to do on my FZ6 this winter and was somewhat surprised at how many items are on it!

Nothing is safety critical, but they're things that I've been meaning to do for a while, just not done because other stuff has taken up my time.

I normally ride all year round, but at the moment I don't have anything on my calendar which I'm going to need it for, so here's what's on the list:

1) Sort the throttle out.

For some reason, there's a point at which it "sticks" for a moment when I open it. It's not a major issue and it's not like it jams or anything, but it means the power delivery isn't as smooth as I like.

Also, whilst I've got the grip off I'm going to put some silicone lube on the cables.

2) Lube the clutch cable.

Like with the throttle, the clutch isn't quite as smooth as it should be, so some silicone lube on that won't go amiss. Also I probably should check the free play which I've been meaning to do, but never got around to over the summer.

3) Balance the throttle bodies.

I'm actually not sure that there might not be a vacuum leak on cylinder 4, because that's the one the Scotoiler was linked to, but I found out earlier this year that it wasn't delivering the oil as it should. I replaced the oiler tubing (which had a hole in, probably didn't help!) and then the oil reservoir/ pump, but that didn't solve the issue until I moved the connector to cylinder 3.

4) Check the valve clearances.

I've been meaning to learn to do this for myself, rather than taking it to the workshop and, because I've got the old engine that died a couple of years ago, I can practice on that before I do it for real, just in case I mess anything up! The engine is over the 24,000 miles point, so it's a good time to do it.

5) Fix the instrument cluster display. 

When we had the thunderstorms a few weeks back, instead of being parked in the shed, the bike was on my sister's driveway as I was staying there and water got into the cluster, making the display fade out. Fortunately I've taken it apart before, so it's a much easier job this time, but it's a hassle having to take off the fairings etc.

6) Bleed the brakes.

Since I put the HEL braided lines on, the braking has become a lot more effective and the feel is better, but I'm thinking it's always a good idea to check that they're still in tip-top condition.

7) Everything else...!

Lots of little bits, like, recently, on a Group Ride, we were on a bumpy country road and I lost my right hand blind spot mirror :( I hadn't had one for ages, but, when I put it on, I realised how helpful it was and now I miss it!

The bike needs a wash after getting caught in the rain and I should re-do the ACF 50 after I've given the downpipes a polish.

Put a new connector on the Optimate Lead. For some reason, when the bike is on charge (I also use the lead to supply power to the TomTom Sat Nav cradle) it loses connection. I've tried cleaning the contacts, but I think there may be corrosion on the other side which is causing an issue.

As I said, none of these are safety critical issues that would eg cause an MOT fail, but I've just been busy with other stuff, so not got around to them for months...!

What about the rest of you? Got any plans/ upgrades/ tweaks you're going to do?

agricola:
Nothing much for me this winter. Normal maintenance late winter/spring time ie full service. Valve clearances are due in another 2k, might leave that till next winter. Gonna continue to ride if the weather is pleasant enough, avoiding the salt. Wash coming up, then like Graham, it'll get a waft over of ACF50. Currently musing over getting another bike, solely for the track. Mid noughties supersport 600, but which one?

darrsi:
Clutch cable shouldn't really be lubed.
I just fitted a Slinky Glide clutch cable from Wemoto, and it feels very light and smooth. Plus I sprayed a load of grease into the clutch cable housing too while it was off, which no doubt helped things a bit as well.

fazerscotty:
#1. Fit the Ivan's kit arriving in a couple of weeks.

#2. Touch up paint work where required.
#3. Fit new pair of tyres - thinking of PR 5's or Avon XDM's(?)
#4. Fit new battery - current one doesn't hold charge very well.
#5. I'll more than likely think of something else..........

Grahamm:

--- Quote from: darrsi on 03 November 2021, 10:16:25 pm ---Clutch cable shouldn't really be lubed.
I just fitted a Slinky Glide clutch cable from Wemoto, and it feels very light and smooth.
--- End quote ---

I've got the same one, but it's been on there for a while now and it doesn't work as well as it might sometimes when I'm trying to feather the clutch.

According to some blurb I've found: "Constructed to extremely high standards, all Slinky Glide cables are coated with a rust and freeze resistant compound, plus a polyamide lining inside the outer cable which further reduces friction and wear as well as providing smooth operation."

The cable's been on there for a few years now (annoyingly I can't find the receipt saying exactly when I bought it) so I think I'll drop Slinky Glide an email and see what they say (although they'll probably just say replace it!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version