Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:10 pm

Author Topic: Avoid K&N oil filters? they apear to have a habit of exploding/leaking!  (Read 9976 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Just had a buddy tell me that he had a K&N oil filter let go and leak oil all over the bottom of the bike and his rear tyre on a trip to Europe. So then did a search online for "exploding K&N oil filter" and there is page after page of results, but here are some examples with images -
There was a class action lawsuit in 2020 against them -Looks like it effected the following filters - KN-138, KN-204 & KN-303 (This fits the FZS1000 & FZ1). They list the KN-147 for the FZS600, but other searching show the KN-303 also fits.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2021, 12:06:23 am by b1k3rdude »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Avoid K&N oil filters? they apear to have a habit of exploding/leaking!
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2021, 10:23:08 pm »
Your first two links go to the same page!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2021, 12:15:19 am »
Corrected, but they were only examples. There are pages and pages of search results about this issue.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2021, 11:01:15 am »
This isn't a new issue, some other filters have suffered similarly.  Mostly cheap chinese rip offs and companies trying to cut cost with materials and production to max profit.

I only ever use OE or Hiflofiltro TUV approved filters. 
Later

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2021, 11:09:38 am »
Tbh you can Google any brand of anything and find many examples of failure (for example just Google Michelin tyre failures) Thats the problem with the internet.
I choose to believe that a brand as big as K&N can be trusted as much as the next one 🤷‍♂️ Th problem is probably moreto do with fakes, as Gnasher says a lot of Chinese companies are copying things now so unless your buying from a reputable company then there's no guarantee your buying a genuine product

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2021, 11:13:42 am »
or Hiflofiltro TUV approved filters. 
Same, much cheaper than oem.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2021, 11:32:09 am »
Same, much cheaper than oem.

Typically about 50% less, they're manufactured to the same or higher spec in performance, they do however tend to be less so in external finish, in that the paint in thinner and the seam bead suffers surface corrosion. They are cheaper as they make millions more ,they even manufacture OE filters for many other manufacturers to their finish spec.

I've fitted 1000's of Hiflofiltro filters over the years, personally I've never had an issue with them.     
Later

fazerbcn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2021, 07:06:43 pm »
I had mine for 20 years now, revs were oscillating at the very beginning, but a set of iridium plugs stabilised it perfectly, never suffered from leaking till now, when I cleaned it myself, and was more than gentle while adding oil, and also maybe not letting it drip off enough time, thus seeing red drops on the floor every now and then (specially the first week), I reckon that it may be fixed by opening it and cleaning the surplus oil that may be at the bottom of the filter, and cleaning also the bottom of the air filter box. It also goes elongating in time just by themselves...

I have done none of both things, and happy with it, it is also kind of funny, when I see a oil drop on the floor I like to have a look at the colour, blue=scottoiler, red=k&n, praying not to be black...

Appart from the oscillating, I would recommend the k&n, unless you love brake motor, I love the softness of stopping the throttle and letting the bike go, but if your riding is considering that engine brake to enter corners, you may be infuriating specially the first month... Or going out of the tarmac while adjusting the driving...

Hope this helps...

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2021, 11:31:29 pm »
I reckon that it may be fixed by opening it and cleaning the surplus oil that may be at the bottom of the filter,
Cleaning a semi enclosed oil filter that is not designed for it is a non sequitur, that and cleaning will have zero effect on a physical defects.

The thread is about oil filters failing fatally, not leaking. I have no idea what context your coming from with regard to your oscillating revs, did you mean to post that here..?
« Last Edit: 11 December 2021, 11:32:05 pm by b1k3rdude »

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2021, 05:05:47 am »
I use K&n oil filters love the nut fitting and not had a problem
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

fazerbcn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 December 2021, 08:42:05 am »
I reckon that it may be fixed by opening it and cleaning the surplus oil that may be at the bottom of the filter,
Cleaning a semi enclosed oil filter that is not designed for it is a non sequitur, that and cleaning will have zero effect on a physical defects.

The thread is about oil filters failing fatally, not leaking. I have no idea what context your coming from with regard to your oscillating revs, did you mean to post that here..?

I love my K&N, and have loved it for 20 years, the oscillating revs on idle were seen with the bike new when the K&N was fit, and disappeared after the set of iridium plugs, not relevant for the direct answer, but just wanted to provide a context on what happens when you change something on your bike (the engine brake changed a lot too, and that was another point I wanted to give... ;) [size=78%])[/size]
[/size]
I can't see how a non-pressure filter could explode... Even with a physical defect...

About the cleaning, was about the oil surplus (as I was doing it first time, and I was tooooo generous with the oil I put on the filter and also anxious on the time I left it pooring before putting it back on the bike, so I would expect that the floor of the filter would be a little swimming pool of oil, that could go only go down with time...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 December 2021, 06:19:09 pm »
mmmmm....i think there is a bit of confusion between air and oil filters, K&N make both  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

fazerbcn

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 December 2021, 09:42:50 pm »
You were absolutely right, please accept my most sincere appologies... I hear K&N and I don't really think on oil filters... And as you use oil on the air filter, thus my confusion, apologies...

30 years ago there were people saying that hiflofiltro were blocking and causing engine failures, never saw any one failing, changed a lot of them on several SR250, but got a lot of thoughts about it every time I was holding one of them on my hands...

I would be more worried by the fact that K&N does not like the standard housing, and you need a different tool to remove and fit it...

I have only changed oil filter once on the Fazer (lately), and I reckon that the price from Yamaha to any other is totally marginal once you do the change yourself...
£6 for an hiflofiltro, and £17 for a Yamaha, £14 for the K&N
Taking into account that the K&N price is similar to the Yamaha, why bothering? I would understand considering the cheaper one instead, and then start complaining about breakages...
Also I totally understand the "performance" for an air filter, as it is inline with how the machine works, but these days, and with the bike at this age, I am much worried that the oil pipe in front of the barrels does not fall apart by rust, much more than a freshly bought oil filter, no matter the brand...

I will doubt that any decent factory (any one with a name on the filter, specially those with a lot of years doing them) could make faulty filters these days... I will consider instead how people will fit the filter, it may happen that those "performance" filters have a slightly smaller rubber (just making thoughts on my mind), and if you don't put oil properly on all the surface they end up breaking the seal sooner than expected..., or that the fact that it requires a different tool, may make people not tighten it properly...

Again, please accept my appologies for the confusion...

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2022, 08:41:37 am »

I would be more worried by the fact that K&N does not like the standard housing, and you need a different tool to remove and fit it...

As in a 17mm spanner?  makes removal so much easier especially with a ratchet spanner
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2022, 05:28:21 pm »
Normal filters are just as easy when you have a filter socket which are only a few quid.

Yanto

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fazer 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 August 2022, 11:49:21 pm »
I have refused to fit them for about 10 years because they are known to leak i use genuine only