Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

The dreaded output shaft..... can it be rethreaded?

(1/4) > >>

SamTomlin94:
Hi all, new to the forums...did know this existed till I went hunting in search of answer to the infamous sprocket nut coming loose...

I'd love more than anything  other have to replace it as the last thing I'd want to do is take the engine and gearbox apart. My question is, is there a die big enough to put a fresh thread on it? Assuming it will be HSS so not sure where to go shopping?!

Thanks all!

Gnasher:
Yes dias are available. Unfortunately it's not just as simple as rethreading, what's left. I'm assuming your shaft has suffered the usual damage, in which case most if not all the thread has been worn away?

To rethread the shaft, it will need machining down before a new thread can be cut, ie its got to be removed. This will mean the shaft will be smaller in diameter and non standard size ie standard sprocket's won't fit. 

The shaft got to come out either way.  Machining is an added cost to just fitting a replacement.

SamTomlin94:
 :eek :eek :eek :eek  not good news then!!

I've got maybe 1/3 of the thread left (found out after the sprocket slipped off and lost drive on the commute home :rolleyes ).
What's the reasoning behind having to machine the shaft down? I'm not an engineer by any standard so don't understand why the thread can't just use what's already there?

Gnasher:
A/the thread is cut into the outside circumference a/the shaft.  If the thread has been worn away so has the shaft, to recut a/the thread the shaft must be machined parallel, it will now be smaller i.e. the thickness of what was the thread. The shaft now being smaller in circumference, by definition so will the thread size by a few mm eg was 14, now 12 or whatever depending on what thread is being cut.       

SamTomlin94:
Thanks for the advice and a good lesson learnt!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version