Date: 19-04-24  Time: 08:51 am

Author Topic: Petcock \ petcock filter  (Read 1130 times)

Sqwim

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Petcock \ petcock filter
« on: 17 April 2022, 05:44:09 pm »
Hello - long time no type - the bike has been sat in the garage for many years (ahem - over 10, kids, work etc) and we've sold the house so need to either sell the bike or move it to the new house.

I thought I'd see how much effort it would take to get her running again and after hotwiring the System 3 (thanks YouTube) which had died completely she bike started first time.  I was, and still am, amazed.  She was running lumpy, but ran.  The wife thinks I'm going to sell the 'unused' bike so we don't need to move it to the new place.  Well, stuff that, I'm going to start riding her again (the bike, the marriage isn't that bad). 

I've now replaced the PCB in the System 3 for a second hand one from eBay and that's working a treat.  I've had the tank off and the petrol was rusty, the tank isn't too bad though, I suspect a flush\clean will do the trick.  The petcock was leaking though (only when I turned it off, so suspect a seal has gone) so removed that only to find the petcock filter is a) knackered and b) stuck solid.  The fuel hose from tank to filter was also leaking (possibly perished, possibly my fault when removing).

So, the ask(s) from you knowledgeable lot:

1) Where would you get a replacement fuel tank petcock?
1a) An alternative would be to get a replacement seal kit (found one of those) and gauze filter but for this to work I'll need to remove the existing filter and that's not budging so far.  Any tips (for both removing it and where to buy a replacement filter)?
2) The tank to filter fuel hoses I have found are ludicrously expensive - ~£60.  They are perfectly shapped to fit but still!  Does anyone have any recommendations for getting this part cheaper, or should I buy some standard fuel hose and attempt to shape a piece myself?

Bike is a 2002 FZS 600 Fazer, BTW.

Many thanks for any suggestions in advance.
James
« Last Edit: 17 April 2022, 07:35:32 pm by BBROWN1664 »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Petcock \ petcock filter
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2022, 07:37:16 pm »
Cant help on the petcock but for the hose you are limited to a genuine new one, a genuine used one or a standard hose.

If you go for a standard hose, make sure you make it long enough to avoid kinking it when you lower the tank.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Sqwim

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Petcock \ petcock filter
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2022, 01:17:50 pm »
Thanks for the response (I didn't get a notification email, I'll have to look into that).

Yes, have decided on a new pertcock seal kit and gauze filter (which did eventually come out - for the record, it doesn't screw in like some apparantly do, some screwdriver coaxing got it out).

New fuel hose bought too (£6 instead of £60!) and will ensure there's plenty of slack for the bend to the tank.  There is a plasticky 'guide' for the fuel hose section which goes through the engine area and the fuel filter - I'm hoping to re-use that but it's proving tricky to get the fuel hose through as it is.  Will try with some oil to lubricate later but if anyone has any magic tips that'd be handy.

Thanks