Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:30 pm

Author Topic: Fan doesn't turn off - any ideas?  (Read 1967 times)

daft1024

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - CB550
    • View Profile
Fan doesn't turn off - any ideas?
« on: 08 April 2022, 10:58:07 am »
Hi all,

My 99 fzs600 has developed a weird electrical gremlin that we can't seem to fix.  Sorry if this has been posted before. I tried a search but could find this described anywhere.

The fan turns on as usual when it gets hot, but it doesn't turn off. The thermo fan switch is near new - was replaced 2 years ago and it's been working fine turning on and off until around 2 months ago.

The bike doesn't seem to be overheating.

It's like there is a busted relay but I can't seem to find the relay that runs the fan. The wiring diagram doesn't seem to even show a relay on the fan but that doesn't make sense.

Has anyone had this before? I've tried 2 mechanics and an auto elec - but they can't seem to find the issue.

Does anyone know what relay runs the fan or had this issue before?

Thanks in advance!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Fan doesn't turn off - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2022, 12:45:36 am »
There is no relay on the fan circuit.Does the fan go off if you pull the Fan Fuse?Does the fan go off if you pull the connector off the Thermo fan switch?

daft1024

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - CB550
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2022, 06:20:28 am »
No relay! OK that makes sense why we couldn't find one. The auto elec was adamant that fans need one.

When the fuse is pulled it turns off but when the thermo switch is pulled off it still runs!

Does that make sense?

We changed the fuse but it didn't fix the issue. I didn't change the thermo switch as it's only 2 years old (and it doesn't help that there are none in the country).

Do you know it the engine temp thermo switch has anything to do with the fan. The wiring diagram doesn't see to show any interaction.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2022, 10:44:48 am »
On a FZS600 is not normal for the fan to come on under normal riding conditions, usually only in slow traffic on a hot day or stood idling for a period. I have a temperature gauge on mine and it very rarely gets above 85C. The fan is only meant to come on round about 100C.
Your problem does seem strange because pulling the plug on the fan switch should break the circuit, so that suggests a short across the plug or the wires to the plug, however if that was the case the fan would come on as soon as the ignition is turned on even with the engine cold. The other thermo switch for the warning light (with a single wire) is on a separate circuit, although still on live when the ignition is on. Sorry I can offer more help, if I think of anything I'll return.

daft1024

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - CB550
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2022, 11:26:21 pm »
Thanks for that -it is rather odd. I've had the bike since new and it's always been a cool runner.

I think your right that there must be some kind of break in the circuit. Damn hard to find though. I might try running a new wire and see if that fixes it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2022, 12:15:58 am »
With the ignition off pull the thermostat connector and check for continuity between the blue and brown wires, if there is continuity here then there is a short circuit in the connector or somewhere between it and the fan connector.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2022, 09:37:49 am by unfazed »

SamTomlin94

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2022, 11:48:51 pm »
Do you have a Haynes? I've got one for my fzs600 I can photograph the 'leccy plan/circuits if you need it 👍

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2022, 06:53:09 pm »
Do you have a Haynes? I've got one for my fzs600 I can photograph the 'leccy plan/circuits if you need it 👍

Downloads section of this forum has the yamaha manuals in it.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

SamTomlin94

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2022, 10:08:04 pm »

Downloads section of this forum has the yamaha manuals in it.

:eek :eek :eek  it does?! Sorry I'm a new member here...are there any other treasure troves I should know about?!  :lol