Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Centre Stand Issue

(1/3) > >>

Middy2000:
Just had the old girl MOT'd.

Got an advisory for the centre stand being stiff and to be fair it is.  Don't use it so never noticed.  Had a good look underneath and it's a bit scabby.

Suspect it's a bit of corrosion between stand and frame with the bolts being also looking a touch tired.

The garage told me it needs sorting ASAP as the stand could come down whilst riding.  This clearly makes me nervous but using my limited brain I'm not convinced it would just flap down, more the other case that it's more likely to stay up?  Surely that's what the spring is for.  I guess if the spring came off then yes it could come down with gravity.

Any advice appreciated.

BBROWN1664:
take it off, clean it up and see if its good enough to put back on again.

Middy2000:
After reading other threads on the issue I'm less terrorised by the prospect of removing it. Doesn't seem too difficult and Darrsi has put a good tip on how to refit it.

It looks to be in reasonable condition but will benefit from a wire brush and some hammerite.

I suspect bolt removal will be the difficult part but hopefully a bit of heat might help.

Grahamm:
If the spring rusts through (generally happens around where it bends into a u-shape at each end) you'll have a lump of metal dragging on the ground which would not be a good thing!

beuleux:
If the spring was an issue the advisory would have said loose rather than stiff, possibly the lug the spring attaches to could be corroded. As said, just take it off clean and grease it, anything catastrophic will be glaringly obvious. If it's beyond repair then simply remove it as you don't use it anyway then it will be neither stiff or loose 👍

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version