Date: 19-05-24  Time: 14:13 pm

Author Topic: bridgestone BT 23  (Read 2912 times)

kylron

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
bridgestone BT 23
« on: 01 August 2014, 04:55:30 pm »
Just had to change the front BT 23 on my gen 1 as it had worn  on the right hand side.it had quite a pronounced step between the harder centre compound and the softer side tread,I would say around a 3mm difference which was really noticeable turning right.
The tyre had 6000m on it and I ran it at 36psi.
Has anyone had anything similar with this tyre or an idea what could be causing it.
Checked wheel alignment and all seems good.

trpFZS1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: bridgestone BT 23
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2014, 05:14:49 pm »
I have BT 023's on my Gen 1 and have done about 3k on them so far. I run the front at 36psi like you and they are wearing evenly. Good tyres in my opinion.
Rich

kylron

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2014, 05:36:03 pm »
Had no problems with the rear tyre just fitted another one a couple of months ago but I haven't had a front tyre wearing like that before.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2014, 06:10:34 pm »
Road camber can do this to your front tyre but 6000 miles seems a bit premature for symptoms like yours tbh.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2014, 06:14:25 pm »
One of my last bike had a Bridgestone tyre on it, which did the same. On my gen1 I have Michelin pr2 which the front is due for renewal and it has worn normally. And I will be replacing it with a Michelin in the very near future.

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2014, 07:35:21 pm »
Never had that on any Bridgestone and I've had 57, 020, 021, 023s. I had a MEZ4 on the bike when I bought it though and that did exactly what you're describing. Feels like riding on marbles. Surprised you have this on 023s but there you are. I've got Michelin PR3s now and like them.
__
There's no replacement for displacement

kylron

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 August 2014, 08:02:22 pm »
Its the first time I've had any problems with a tyre and I've had a few different makes over the years,maybe just got a bad one.
I've just fitted another 023 to the front as I had bought it before this problem and I notice the tread pattern on it is different.hopefully this one is better.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2014, 11:26:02 pm »
Got this on my current 021 front at the mo, it's wearing a bit premature on the right hand side, and way too soon for my liking. Seen it before with Bridgestones and have lost faith in them.
Bt 020 never had that problem, and I thrashed the living daylights out of many sets of them with heartstopping results.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2014, 10:40:53 am »
Never had the problem with the 023s on my Gen1 but don't rate the tyres anything more than mediocre. I as well as others had the problem with an Avon Storm II Ultras but my current Storm 3D-XM is wearing relatively evenly. Seems it's a manufacturing issue for all makers, maybe if the compound for both sides doesn't come from the same batch or part of the batch the wear characteristics differ ????

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 August 2014, 12:14:09 pm »
I have had those symptoms on some tyres but not others. It doesn't seem to matter which bike, brand, or model, so I suspect it is might be something to do with my riding style or suspension, but I have no real evidence, but I am only guessing.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 August 2014, 12:29:08 pm »
Just a thought but have you checked to see if your front suspension settings are the same on both legs. ?

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 August 2014, 12:56:56 pm »
Just a thought but have you checked to see if your front suspension settings are the same on both legs. ?

Daft comment of the month.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 August 2014, 03:18:49 pm »
Enlighten me, why is this daft?

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 August 2014, 06:56:38 pm »

Forgive me if I am wrong, but from what you say there is an inference that a fork leg can go up and down in a different way to the other.
 Clearly, the forks are rigidly bolted together and obviously cannot do this.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 August 2014, 08:01:11 pm »

Forgive me if I am wrong, but from what you say there is an inference that a fork leg can go up and down in a different way to the other.

OK, firstly, I forgive you.  :lol
Secondly, having played about with the height of my front forks quite a bit, they are only bolted at the fork clamps which you have to undo to move them up or down.
Admittedly they are still fixed at the bottom wheel spindle but believe me it is possible to set them at different heights. Maybe only a couple of mm but enough to visually notice.
And thirdly, most importantly, this is not what I was inferring.
I was referring to the suspension settings being dialled differently to each other.
Many years ago I bought a GPZ 1000 RX which used to eat front tyres and handle like a bus.
While I was getting the front fork seals changed the mechanic noticed that the settings were set way different in relation to each other. Don't exactly know how or what he done as it was over 20 years ago. Because there was no visible seal leak and after setting both fork legs the same it completely cured the problem.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no expert and from what I can remember he also I think filled them with some air and said something about an automatic variable damping system which totally went over my head. All I know is it cured it whatever he did and to my mind a 3mm step on a bt 023 after 6k running at the correct pressure with no visible fork seal blown suggests there may be more going on than just road camber.
With this experience in mind I thought it may be a simple thing to check, if only to eliminate.
« Last Edit: 05 August 2014, 08:22:05 pm by dazza »

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 August 2014, 08:18:14 pm »

OK, firstly, I forgive you.  :lol
Secondly, having played about with the height of my front forks quite a bit, they are only bolted at the fork clamps which you have to undo to move them up or down.
Admittedly they are still fixed at the bottom wheel spindle but believe me it is possible to set them at different heights. Maybe only a couple of mm but enough to visually notice.
And thirdly, most importantly, this is not was I was inferring.
I was referring to the suspension settings being dialled differently to each other.
Many years ago I bought a GPZ 1000 RX which used to eat front tyres and handle like a bus.
While I was getting the front fork seals changed the mechanic noticed that the settings were set way different in relation to each other. Don't exactly know how or what he done as it was over 20 years ago. Because there was no visible seal leak and after setting both fork legs the same it completely cured the problem.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no expert and from what I can remember he also I think filled them with some air and said something about an automatic variable damping system which totally went over my head. All I know is it cured it whatever he did and to my mind a 3mm step on a bt 023 after 6k running at the correct pressure with no visible fork seal blown suggests there may be more going on than just road camber.
With this experience in mind I thought it may be a simple thing to check, if only to eliminate.

You are correct to point out your own experience and it is useful. The settings should be checked as you say -but because it is good practise, not because they are suspect in this particular problem. There are a few motorcycles out there with damping valves in one leg and a spring in the other, this illustrates that forks work as one if clamped at the spindle and yoke (which they are) they don't and can't function in an unbalanced way if they are clamped
 Therefore you would have to dismiss the settings as a culprit here, it wouldn't cure this problem.

kylron

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 August 2014, 08:58:27 pm »
Thanks for your input although I didn't mean to start an argument.my suspension settings were identical,I have another thread on here asking about suspension sag just to rule that out.after fitting the new front tyre I also checked the wheel and forks for alignment but everything checked out.I will take the tyre to my usual bike shop to get there opinion but they are a two hour round trip from where I live so haven't managed to yet.

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 August 2014, 09:39:23 pm »
This could be that you are more confident when cornering and to be honest could be simply goinf round a round-a-bout if UK based.

Here is some explanations of tyre ware http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 August 2014, 10:34:54 am »
Ha, obvious when you think about it.  8) I just wish I had thought about it before  :o

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 August 2014, 11:27:17 am »
I had a similar wear problem on some 021's but perfect wear with the 2 sets of 023's i've used since.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.