Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

Front fork compression damping adjuster

(1/3) > >>

nickodemon:
Decided to set up the front forks on my recently acquired gen 1 and found the compression damping adjusters at the bottom of the fork legs seized solid. Anyone have useful tips to free them off. I have given them a good soaking with silkopen, but i think it will require another method, Cheers.

Falcon 269:
Unlucky, mate.  I had similar problems with some R1 forks and it took several days of soaking with penetrating fluid to do the job.  That was with the forks off the bike and held horizontal so that the fluid could be pooled directly onto the screw.

The threads on these parts are fine so you can't really get heavy with impact tools or the like.

You could try heat/cold, and also consider the freeze-type penetrating sprays.

Good luck. :)

nickodemon:
Thanks Mike, I think i'll need it! :'(

nickodemon:
Tried heating the damping adjusters with a blow torch to try and get them to free off :(  No joy. I don't want to use too much force as the adjuster screws are in good condition and i don't want to chew them. I'll keep spraying silkopen at them for the next few days. On a brighter note the exup valve allen bolts came out :) . Two came out no problem, but the bottom one was mostly rotted away, so i hammered a tight fitting  torx socket and it came out at the first attempt :lol  Replaced them with stainless allen bolts and loads of copper grease.

ghostbiker:
Yeah i had my adjusters siezed up to. i was lucky in that they were stuck in a fairly good position for me, not ideal but was ok.

I left them alone for the first year then when i had the front forks worked over by Ktec for full revalve/spings etc they managed to get them out although they did have to replace them by the time they got them out. but only charged a couple quid each to do so.

i think most ppl just leave them be once set up so they never get moved and just sieze up with road crap and lack of use.

Grats on the exup valve service.... go buy a lotto ticket quick :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version