Date: 19-05-24  Time: 14:15 pm

Author Topic: Ideas for a biking holiday. UK only pls  (Read 4493 times)

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Ideas for a biking holiday. UK only pls
« on: 15 April 2013, 10:05:52 pm »
Me and a mate have been looking at a long-ish biking weekend (4 days beginning of May). Last year we did southern Ireland and loved it.
We were thinking Isle of Man this year but given the weather has been so crap over that way we are having 2nd thoughts..

We now cannot decide on where to go.... Also trying to keep cost down hence keeping it in the UK.
We are fairly central living in Milton Keynes area so many possibilities..

Any suggestions very welcome. In addition to this it would be nice to tie it into an event, maybe a race or something.
thanks
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for a biking holiday. UK only pls
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2013, 10:29:52 pm »
If you want decent weather yor best bet's probably Cornwall.

It will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2013, 10:39:21 pm »
If you want decent weather yor best bet's probably Cornwall.

Indeed.. I suggested this but alas my friend thinks the roads are lame.
I've driven some nice roads but never ridden in Cornwall. And at the worst we can fill up on pasty's and cider  :D
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2013, 10:43:41 pm »
John O'Groats to Land's End

Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2013, 03:02:21 am »
Go North young men! Northumberland is beautiful and empty. It has stunning beaches, great roads and mountainous scenery. You could travel north via the North York Moors and back home via the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and the Peak District.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2013, 05:29:38 am »
I'd recommend the Isle of Skye, 4 of us did it for a couple of years about 5 years ago, the roads are nice and grippe even in the rain some lovely views.
With 4 of us going we found it cheaper to hire a caravan and use it as a base rather tan B&B's.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2013, 06:48:30 am »
One, is never going to be enough.....

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2013, 07:23:56 am »
shame you dismiss abroad , as apart from the fuel and the £35 ferry , its better riding than many parts of the UK. Admittedly , 4 days doesnt give much scope, but it takes  2 days to get to the tirol in austria, where I know a hotel does full board for 70 euro a night , and its in the heart of fantastic biking roads.So if u had say 7 days you could have  a brill 3 night stay...bet unless u are camping you wont find many places cheaper to stay in the UK of anywhere near same level ..its a 4 star rated place with its own underground garage and full sauna/steam/ pool etc.Best place I have ever stayed in apart from a hotel in the dolomites.And I have toured much of europe, I really rate the area.

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2013, 08:41:05 am »
Not dismiss as such but i have a lot on this year and cannot justify the cost or any extra days holiday. Also going abroad 3 times for weddings etc. so thought it would be nice to keep it in UK and see a bit of my homeland  :lol
Personally as long as a hotel has a bed i really couldn't care less about sauna/steam/pool etc. i know full well i would not use them so there is no point in me spending extra money on a hotel like that.

Also anything in Scotland is unlikely to happen. the trip up there is boring as hell being all motorways and with the weather down here being so crap i doubt its much better up north.
In truth we are borderline thinking to cancel it and maybe do something later in the year.
Lord,
Amen

ChrisJH

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2013, 09:17:07 am »
Best short stay bike holiday in the UK has to be in Settle North Yorkshire, try Crowtree Park Tosside they have some good value accommodation, from their the world is your proverbial oyster N S E or W as well as all the Yorkshire runs you are next to lake district, you can cover all the way up to Scottish boarders, Hartside Richmond etc, a trip to Wales is in reach jump on M6 (20 mins away) and your in north Wales in an hour, or head down to Glossop again an hour away and you have Snake & Hope pass into Derbyshire Matlck all in a days ride from Settle
« Last Edit: 16 April 2013, 09:19:52 am by ChrisJH »
i don`t have anything profound or funny to write so .............................

Rebuilt

• DAS Born Again
  • Varadero 1000 09...used to be 99 Fazer in pic
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - honda Varadero 1000 (09)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2013, 09:27:54 am »
The lakes  :thumbup ... i just went up there on the Varadero met up  with  others from a forum ... amazing roads, amazing views ...if your mate doesnt want lame roads then try the rhino pass  :D

the adrenaline when theres nothing either side of you somtimes and the sudden dips and climbs are fun too  8) :eek :D

I would recomend this as a must, we went from friday through till sunday , rode the lakes saturday .... other 2 days were rideing to and from Plymouth to do so  :D
Working on this bit :OP

inditime

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Ducati 944
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2013, 09:33:51 am »
I work in MK, and you are pretty central to the UK for any ride outs and race meets. Dont forget your Silverstone tickets lol.
Cornwall does have some nice roads, lived there for 20 years. Dont go on the Isle of Wight, its dire, the roads are terrible. Id go for a nice ride round Kent, good roads, or even pop on the EuroTunnel and spend a few days in Normandy. Lovely roads, lovely scenery, lovely weather. Its like Hampshire and Dorset but the locals have a funny accent. lol
I went to Le Mans last year, took a day to get there with plenty of stops, lovely roads. Did a toll road and then did the A roads, brilliant fun.

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for a biking holiday. UK only please
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2013, 11:15:57 am »
 :)    One more here for going North .. the Yorkshire Moors, cross over to the Lakes and home .. easy.

All kinds of everything as far as roads go .. in fact it's all kinds of everything as far as a four day trip will give you.

Use a good map and read it .. avoiding the Motorway bits you can build a really good 'loop'

Don't book anything except maybe your first night out .. then you can scrub anything out and move the goal posts if the weather (or whatever) changes .. be free to ride free  8)

Good Luck .... Stay Safe  ;)    Trev

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2013, 11:24:04 am »
Or do something different - try one of the off-road courses perhaps?

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 April 2013, 11:31:53 am »
North Scotland, or nw even. Trip up there stay on a and b roads forget the mway. Pass through lakes as well.
Or north - mid wales is nice.

t140

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - T140W
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2013, 12:10:03 pm »
West coast of Scotland, Glencoe Glengarry Glenshiel Applecrooss and up through Torridon to Durness. :)
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2013, 12:37:05 pm »
West coast of Scotland, Glencoe Glengarry Glenshiel Applecrooss and up through Torridon to Durness. :)

Seems to be lots of votes for Scotland but alas with weather hardly even reaching double figures in the next 10 day forecast I would rather remain a southern lad lol.
tbh the closer we get to the May bank holiday weekend i can see us scraping it and not bothering due to difference of opinion. btw my mate plans to go on his 1200GS adventure with high screen and heated grips so i guess he has very little thoughts for my comfort.  :rolleyes
Lord,
Amen

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 April 2013, 01:27:12 pm »
I'm off to the Brecons on Friday for a long weekend with some mates. Self catering  but breakfast at the farmhouse. £30 pppn inc breakfast, great riding and two great local pubs. Can't wait. I know it's North of Watford so I'll need my pastport, but still, the roads are nice  :lol

Actually, Northumberland sounds good may have to do that later in the year.  :)
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 April 2013, 05:10:03 pm »
South Devon, Paignton bike festival weekend in early May which is a good event if the weather is good, plenty of accommodation and reasonable fun at nights, plus Dartmoor and Jurassic coast nearby for a ride out.

Linky to the festival (if it works)

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.bmad.co.uk/festival.html[/font]
[font=.HelveticaNeueUI][/size][/font]
[font=.HelveticaNeueUI][/size]Jonesthesteam[/font]

PlasticHarry

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR 750G
    • View Profile
    • Tyne Valley Plastics Ltd
« Reply #19 on: 16 April 2013, 06:52:34 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A686_road

This is a nice run - during the week. Too busy weekends with bloody bikers!!

Co. Durham has some good rides too. No fixed speed cameras in the county. Chief Constable thinks they are a waste of money and ineffective.

NE England has approx one third of the rainfall of Cornwall. (See Met. Office website)

Cheers

Harry

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: 16 April 2013, 07:48:00 pm »
I have just spent 3 days riding round Normandy. Not a single pothole in site! Clear roads and fuel is slightly cheaper than here too. Go for it, you know you want to :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 April 2013, 08:26:04 pm »
bbrown sounds daft but where did you go in normandy as ive never been abroad on my bike and the end of may thinking of going  :eek

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: 17 April 2013, 09:07:57 am »
I stayed at a very nice B&B in a little village in Charchigne. This is the same village where our very own Big Mac has his holiday chateaux. It's about 50 miles from Le Mans an on the border of Loire and Normandy. Places like Bangoles with loads of restaurants and hotels is only about 15 miles away and the roads are great.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 April 2013, 09:26:31 am »
North Wales/Snowdonia, or as said Cumbria/Lakes. Trouble in this country is that all the good roads are in the wet areas. Did a tour of Norfolk a couple of years ago. Weather was fantastic, but roads were zzzzzzzzzz

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 April 2013, 06:50:59 am »
Wales,,yep Wales

a very nice place, lots to do and see, the coast is amazing and then there are the hills and mountains,castles,caves,many visitor centers,Snowdon,Canals at Brecon and Oswestrey .Steam trains,Island boat trips.

Oh and of course them roads, there are some amazing roads and all this is not far from you.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.