Date: 20-05-24  Time: 04:32 am

Author Topic: Possible bearing failure?, Now sorted :)  (Read 3441 times)

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
Possible bearing failure?, Now sorted :)
« on: 15 August 2014, 01:54:20 pm »
Hi,Whilst on my way to work them morning i was getting a metallic sounding squeal/scrapping sound coming from the front end! I dont think its to do with braking as its there when i brake,its also intermittant!!!!  I'm guessing a wheel bearing but i hope you guys can shed some light on it please!!!!!.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 20 August 2014, 10:44:13 pm by chunk166 »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Possible bearing failure?????
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2014, 02:13:34 pm »
Not much up front to make that sort of noise really, either your pads are down to the metal, or as you say your bearings could be shot.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

woodwizzard

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2014, 03:55:52 pm »
As Darrsi says, most likely pads. Bearings would have to be well broken up for them to squeal I would have thought. Put bike on centre stand and feel for play in the wheel and spin it to see if you can pin point the noise.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2014, 04:33:29 pm »
Sounds more like you've got a stone caught in one of the front calipers rather than a bearing problem.  A bearing problem would cause the front end to go all wobblyexcept when you put the brakes on and the pads acting on the discs on straighten things out.

TonyW

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2014, 05:31:32 pm »
Stone in the caliper is most likely. It could also be the speedo drive dried out.

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2014, 06:19:18 pm »
I will have a look at it over the weekend,pads are fine plenty left on them & the discs look ok!!!! The wheel is tight trying to rotate it the way it would when riding but looser turning it backwards??

Time to get dirty i think  :book :smash :tape

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2014, 09:09:42 pm »
Caliper pots ok, not sticking?

Take the pad pins out and give them a good clean up, and make sure there's no grooves in them so the pads can slide properly.

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2014, 09:32:29 pm »
All checked & cleaned up & re-greased last weekend!! Maybe i have disturbed something???

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2014, 10:06:07 pm »
Could be that you put the pads back on differently, so they may need bedding in again for a little while?

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2014, 11:13:06 pm »
This it true but I don't understand why it started after 4-5 days!!! As a precaution i'm gonna order some bearings before i think about taking the wheel out because if i need to grease the speedo drive I don't want the bearings dropping out if there knackered!!!!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2014, 03:54:16 am »
Collapsed bearings could cause an accident so you shouldn't ride it until it's fixed. As a quick check you could take the calipers off and try to spin the wheel and check if it spins freely. If it spins ok then it would point to the calipers if it doesn't then it's bearings but definitely take the wheel off and check the bearings properly.

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2014, 09:10:51 am »
Unfortunately i don't have much choice but to ride it as public transport to where i work is almost non existent,but bearings ordered & should be here by tuesday! I will take off the calipers & spin the wheel to check if it spins freely or not. Any suggestions on how to keep the front wheel of the ground as i don't have a paddock stand or axle stands??  :rolleyes :rolleyes

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2014, 11:36:15 am »
If you put it on the centre stand and weigh the back down it'll hold the front wheel up. If you've got a top box on the back it's dead handy. Just load it up with heavy stuff. I use exercise weights. If you do find a damaged bearing you're taking a fair risk riding on it especially on the front.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2014, 11:37:38 am by His Dudeness »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2014, 11:44:10 am »
Just give someone a plate of sandwiches and ask them nicely to sit on your pillion seat and eat them slowly.  :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2014, 07:14:34 pm »
Would have thought if the wheel turns OK and there is no play in the bearing (get somebody to hold the handlebar then try moving wheel from side to side - worn bearing will give a click click noise and you'll feel the play) then the bearing is fine.

Had a rear bearing let go on me, can be pretty scary.  Limped the 12 miles back home at about 25mph.  Sort of felt weird for a few corners, I was thinking - am I imagining that? - then it just let go.

If the front goes you'll be on yer arse before you know it - if you haven't smacked into something coming the other way.  If I found play in my front bearing I would not ride the bike till fixed.

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 August 2014, 06:15:04 pm »
Well! There is a bit of play in the wheel,but only noticeable when the calipers are off. I have ordered a set of bearing which hopefully i will get by tuesday & i can fit them in the evening!. I can't have time off work as their short staffed & the public transport is crap so i will have to use my bike but i will be a lot more careful than i normally am. Just need to make a frame up to sit the wheel in when i remove them ;)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 August 2014, 07:12:05 pm »
Well! There is a bit of play in the wheel,but only noticeable when the calipers are off. I have ordered a set of bearing which hopefully i will get by tuesday & i can fit them in the evening!. I can't have time off work as their short staffed & the public transport is crap so i will have to use my bike but i will be a lot more careful than i normally am. Just need to make a frame up to sit the wheel in when i remove them ;)

To be honest mate, if your bearings are that bad, I'd not ride it at all. There's nothing you can do about it, you might be able to ride okay until they're replaced, you may hit a pot hole and get have them disintegrate, or they may just randomly collapse on you. Without seeing them it's hard to say, but personally I'd be asking mates for lifts or using the public transport, even if it is shit. You have an accident with those bearings, and you'll be screwed, big time.

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 August 2014, 08:37:42 pm »
Well she is all locked up & going nowhere until its done  :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 August 2014, 01:11:50 am »
Were you riding it when it locked? Hope not!

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 August 2014, 07:03:59 am »
Thankfully they didn't lock up,but it took me 35 mins to do a 15 min journey last nite coming home from work! So glad these bike have hazard lights.  :D :D

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 August 2014, 08:23:40 am »
Were you riding it when it locked? Hope not!

Think he meant locked up as in secure, chained, garaged, etc.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 August 2014, 09:25:17 am »
I was on my way to the ferry at Dover for a weeks touring abroad when the rear bearings went, just after the sun had gone down. Initially it felt like I was riding over a concrete road with a gap between the blocks, bump bump bump. Tyre pressure was, so checked for play and it was that. Called the AA and when the bloke came he said bearings gone, but couldn't give me a lift to Dover as he didn't have the kit to tie it down or some other such excuse. He said ride slowly, it was only about 10 miles, he would follow behind. So I rode to the B&B, it made hell of a din screeching. Next morning took it to a bike repair shop and they said the heat generated had welded part of the bearing to the wheel and would have to get the welder on it to heat it the bearing up to free it, it might ruin the wheel, was it ok for them to continue? Luckily they managed to fix it with no damage.
I'd never ride a bike anywhere again if that happened again, as much from the safety angle as damage.
I was going to take it up with the AA but when I got home from holiday had dismissed it as one of those things.

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 August 2014, 10:42:10 pm »
Well this is what's left of the right side front wheel bearing, Thinking i had a lucky escape!!!!

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Possible bearing failure?, Now sorted :)
« Reply #23 on: 20 August 2014, 10:53:23 pm »
I think you made the right call parking it up TBH, it amazes me the amount of people who can be aware of issues like this but choose still to ride. I know a lot of us use our bikes as our main transport but it really isnt worth it. its not like a car where 1 dodgy wheel bearing and you still have 3 good wheels to keep you relatively safe.

good to see you have found your issue and gotten it sorted anyway buddy :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Possible bearing failure?, Now sorted :)
« Reply #24 on: 20 August 2014, 10:53:49 pm »
Yeah that'll cause you problems!  :lol

At least you got it sorted.  :)