Date: 08-05-24  Time: 23:48 pm

Author Topic: Front Sprocket Upgraded nut torque????  (Read 9637 times)

Jimmygixxer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Front Sprocket Upgraded nut torque????
« on: 30 July 2012, 10:59:13 pm »
Has anyone any recommendations on what to torque the front sprocket upgraded 12mm nut too?
Ive read leave it at the original 70NM but some say go to 90NM.
Shitting myself that it wont be tight enough at 70, but worried ill strip the threads at 90 :eek

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: Front Sprocket Upgraded nut torque????
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2012, 11:08:56 pm »
Go 80 then. :D

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2012, 01:28:51 am »
Dazza, you beat me to it mate.......  :lol

The sprocket's going forwards, theoretically tightening the nut during movement because of the thread direction, don't panic too much, the new one ain't going anywhere in a hurry!!! (plus the safety tab's there as well)

I know it's only a couple of extra threads but it obviously makes a major difference, and the torque setting would've been well thought out.  :)
« Last Edit: 31 July 2012, 07:01:43 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2012, 12:17:45 pm »
i did mine recently?...and seeing my torque wrench only goes up to 85ilbs i did mine to that!!!!!....i also put a little loctight on the threads for piece of mind ;) ......but as darrsi says its running the same way so no need to panick?.....new 12mm nut and tab washer ule be fine!! :)

Jimmygixxer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2012, 12:24:47 pm »
I knew someone would say go 80 then lol.
Just concerned as a lot of people having problems with awol sprockets because of over & under tightening, and there seems to b a lot of different torque figures flying about.
An expensive mistake. :'(

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2012, 07:13:09 pm »
I had exactly the same question,

In the end I've decided to leave it to my local independent bike garage whilst it's in getting its mot
As they must do so many sprocket nuts for different bikes and have good idea what's required,

Unless of course anyone has a categoric setting for sure
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2012, 07:46:53 pm »
i did mine recently?...and seeing my torque wrench only goes up to 85ilbs i did mine to that!!!!!....i also put a little loctight on the threads for piece of mind ;) ......but as darrsi says its running the same way so no need to panick?.....new 12mm nut and tab washer ule be fine!! :)
   A torque wrench that only goes up to 85 lbs.....Where did you get that....A chrismas cracker...!  :lol   

blue_faz600

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Front Sprocket Upgraded nut torque????
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2012, 08:20:41 pm »
I just changed my chain and and sprockets today, my mechanic who has worked on race bikes for BSB race teams and ran his own outfit in a organised race series recommended torquing the new nut to OEM spec, 70NM but using 3 sides of the lock washer to secure the nut! His reasoning is that the thread is quite a fine thread and you risk damaging the thread should you over torque it!

He assures me that he has used this method with numerous Fazers in the past and has had no issues!

Hope this helps!

Also, if anyone is on the verge of new chain and sprockets the OEM kit from fowlers is fantastic! My bike feels like a new machine and so quiet compared with the aftermarket kit that was on the bike before! Definitely worth the extra dosh! ;)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2012, 08:24:34 pm »
70nm it is then

Cheers geezer
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2012, 09:05:13 pm »
When Yamaha came out with the 12mm nut they also recommended 90Nm torque instead of the previous 70Nm with the 9mm nut. They must have thoroughly tested this, but like you I was concerned at stripping the thread so stuck with the 70Nm. I also used nut locking compound and the locking washer and have not had any problems. Using three sides of the lockwasher sounds a good idea though.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2012, 09:42:29 pm »
   A torque wrench that only goes up to 85 lbs.....Where did you get that....A chrismas cracker...!  :lol   
.....when i said 85ilbs i ment 85ftilbs..ok?...and for your information that equates to115.2nm.....so is ample for most work on motorcycles!!...it is also a snap~on purchased in the late 70,s...and  is still in perfect condition and calibration!!!!!....is yours?? ;)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2012, 10:05:59 pm »
Umm, CRH, why did you do your front sprocket nut to 115Nm then?

Not much point having a torque wrench, no matter how good the make or condition or calibration (when did you have that checked?) if you're just going to ignore the manufacturers figures  :rolleyes

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2012, 10:20:57 pm »
i had it chkd just before i last used it approx 2months ago!....and i was assured by a local engineer i know that regardless of what the manufactor may advize?...the diameter of the shaft and thread would easily handle 100ftilb....so i did mine up to 85...

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2012, 10:54:14 pm »

.....when i said 85ilbs i ment 85ftilbs..ok?...and for your information that equates to115.2nm.....so is ample for most work on motorcycles!!...it is also a snap~on purchased in the late 70,s...and  is still in perfect condition and calibration!!!!!....is yours?? ;)
   :lol    Do I detect someone is a little touchy about his tools   :lol Ample for most work on motorcycles......Erm, except the rear wheel nut :pokefun

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 July 2012, 11:01:54 pm »
forks off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....and for your info i use 11ftilbs for rear wheel nut?.....right foot size 11 ... :lol

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 July 2012, 11:14:39 pm »
forks off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....and for your info i use 11ftilbs for rear wheel nut?.....right foot size 11 ... :lol
     :lol

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 August 2012, 11:49:03 am »
thinks .........
« Last Edit: 01 August 2012, 11:52:54 am by ponkster »
"Don't Die with Fun in the Bank!"

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 August 2012, 11:51:09 am »

"The sprocket's going forwards, theoretically tightening the nut during movement because of the thread direction, don't panic too much, the new one ain't going anywhere in a hurry!!! "

This may be a daft question - but is the front sprocket nut a left hand tread ie tightens anti clockwise?

if it is it will explain why I cant get my one off!!
« Last Edit: 01 August 2012, 11:53:46 am by ponkster »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 August 2012, 12:13:27 pm »

"The sprocket's going forwards, theoretically tightening the nut during movement because of the thread direction, don't panic too much, the new one ain't going anywhere in a hurry!!! "

This may be a daft question - but is the front sprocket nut a left hand tread ie tightens anti clockwise?

if it is it will explain why I cant get my one off!!

:lol   No. It's a conventional r/h thread so anticlockwise is the way to undo it. The reason you can't shift yours is probably down to threadlock... have another go with the engine hot, might soften it enough to help it let go.

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 August 2012, 12:30:32 pm »
Thanks

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 August 2012, 12:32:07 pm »
I will have to take it to the garrage and get them to get it off with the impact gun - if I pull any harder on the breaker bar I risk pulling a poopstring!