Date: 27-04-24  Time: 07:57 am

Author Topic: Where can i learn to brake in corners...  (Read 2645 times)

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Where can i learn to brake in corners...
« on: 01 November 2015, 06:24:44 pm »
So, the title might make some people turn in horror but i have seen some courses that specifically are ran on tracks and are there to let you understand what you can actually do with a bike, in fact they state, that they will have you braking hard and harder in turns up to a point....

Now, today i HAD to brake in a turn, went around a roundabout, lined it up for the exit on to a road i know very well and to my surprise there was a council works van pulling a big road closed sign across the road, i had no choice but to brake a light as i could on the front while turning back onto the round about, all went well but got me thinking what are the limits, i have friends who trail the back brakes sometimes...

to be honest i just brake if i need to but never hard and its always more of a light trail to scrub off some speed, if i have really gone in too hot, which is very rare now, and i cannot kill off any speed i usually push into the turn harder

any thoughts?

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
Re: Where can i learn to brake in corners...
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2015, 06:29:51 pm »
Ron Haslem  race school , they will teach you squaring off a corner, which involves standing the bike up , aim for the longest bit of road , braking hard , then turning tightly . they will also get you going around a corner with your hands off the bars .

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2015, 06:33:14 pm »
hands off the bars -  :eek , only just got used to keeping them ON the bars lol

sounds good, i will look into it in the new year...

thanks

the cueball

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - zx12r, H2, RC51, MT09, Pan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2015, 07:19:24 pm »
I've recently done the first 2 levels of the California Superbike School @ silverstone.

Even though I've been riding for 17 odd years now, it's was really good, very enjoyable and I learned a lot.

Or, if you would prefer on road training, look up your local IAM club and join that, they seem to have a somewhat dull image, but are very good riders and you'll learn so much with them too.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2015, 07:21:50 pm »
got the local Cleveland IAM lined up for next year.....so should be good....

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2015, 07:23:56 pm »
Braking in corners or trail braking is an art in itself. Rule of thumb is get your speed right before hitting the corner as maximum grip is had with neutral and constant power. If you need to brake in a corner the back brake is best as a rear skid or loss of traction skid is easier to control than a front wheel skid. With a front wheel skid in a corner you are more or less out control until your tyre regains grip. Also with the the use of the front brake your weight is transfered forward further adding to the chance of a front wheel wash out because the grip is on the side wall of the tyre and not the centre.

Rear brake should be used gently so as not to cause loss of grip. Also consider changing gear and using engine braking. This should also be done with caution when engaging the clutch after the gear change.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Where can i learn to brake in corners...
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2015, 07:37:25 pm »
Ron Haslem  race school , they will teach you squaring off a corner, which involves standing the bike up , aim for the longest bit of road , braking hard , then turning tightly .

I've seen this in practise, I go away with one of there instructors and he's a very good rider and can ride the wheels off his bike, whilst we was in spain he misread a bend, apparently had man flu on this particular day, that's what he blames it on, I was in front and the guy behind him got it all on cam, the come-back was very impressive and I'm sure anyone with lesser experience would have binned it. However he never lived it down for the whole holiday.
« Last Edit: 01 November 2015, 07:44:19 pm by cable tie »

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2015, 08:26:55 pm »
I think the first thing you need to understand is how the bike reacts to the front brake being applied mid corner, not full on emergency stop but enough to make the bike want to stand up, this way you can get used to countering the force without letting the brake off completely which will let you get on with feeling what the tyres doing, avoiding what ever object caused you to brake in the first place

Usual disclaimer ............

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2015, 09:47:32 pm »
These guys teach advanced cornering course at Malory park that includes emergency braking at corner,

I am keen to try that at some point too  :)

http://www.circuitbasedtraining.co.uk/courses/advanced-cornering-mallory-325

Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2015, 10:12:25 pm »
Ah!

Thats the one i was one about Val......i rang them up but never got around to going......hope to do so some point next year...

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2015, 10:42:09 pm »
Ah!

Thats the one i was one about Val......i rang them up but never got around to going......hope to do so some point next year...

There are also these guys I think they are cheaper and have actually more places around the country, MC3 is the course for advanced braking there:

http://i2imca.com/MachineControl.asp

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2015, 11:11:45 pm »
Great thing with the course is your using there bikes and kit , which gives you a bit more confidence , the on track course is £195 using CBR 500 , the premier is £295 using CBR 600 , the elite is £395 using the CBR 1000 , I plan to do the premier course next year giving you more time on track and more one to one instruction . No need to worry about leathers as they provide all kit .

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 November 2015, 11:17:44 pm »
Great thing with the course is your using there bikes and kit , which gives you a bit more confidence , the on track course is £195 using CBR 500 , the premier is £295 using CBR 600 , the elite is £395 using the CBR 1000 , I plan to do the premier course next year giving you more time on track and more one to one instruction . No need to worry about leathers as they provide all kit .

I agree you mean Ron Haslam course yes? Premier seems good value for money given the fact you get CBR600 and leathers included.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2015, 05:56:21 pm »
These guys teach advanced cornering course at Malory park that includes emergency braking at corner,

I am keen to try that at some point too  :)

http://www.circuitbasedtraining.co.uk/courses/advanced-cornering-mallory-325

I did this a year ago and can't recommend it highly enough. Part of it was emergency stops at 60mph on a bend, which was complicated but effective. I need to go back again for a refresher!
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2015, 06:28:06 pm »
With the Ron Haslem I think you have to do the on track before you are allowed to do the premier , I have done the on track twice , 2nd time they knocked £30 off the price , there are either 1 or 2 students to each instructor , the first year there was about 20 of us on track , this year about 10 , the instructor leads but you set the pace by pressing him , because there was less of us I had my own instructor, this year I was the fastest in my group and lapped them all ,  after the track time you spend another couple of hours in a coned off car park , where they teach you loads of tricks and useful stuff .