Date: 19-05-24  Time: 07:21 am

Author Topic: Vibration when slowing down  (Read 1112 times)

Hobgoblin

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Vibration when slowing down
« on: 21 July 2013, 12:22:09 pm »
Hi all, I've just returned from a trip to France on my 1999 FZS600, and it performed faultlessly over 800 miles of great riding. It didn't even use a drop of oil!
The only problem if any is this:
Following new tyres being fitted before I went I felt the bars were slightly off straight so I adjusted the rear alignment accordingly, all great! I only rode it 8 miles from my mates house back home and checked the chain, and it was too tight following our alignment altering. I re did it all and it was fine.
BUT: I've noticed that when slowing down, especially at lower revs with no throttle, I seem to get some vibration through the bike. It also seems to vibrate at around 70mph but clears at 75 to 80 which I think it may have always done though.
Has anyone got any ideas on this? The chain is well lubed and seems free enough on the links, and I've checked the sprocket nuts for tightness too.
Just a note too: all of you check your throttle position sensor! It's easy to do and made a vast difference to low speed riding and low down acceleration.
Many thanks!
« Last Edit: 21 July 2013, 12:24:35 pm by Hobgoblin »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Vibration when slowing down
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2013, 01:47:46 pm »
Read down the bottom of the review headed "Issues"     http://www.bikesandtravels.co.uk/biker.aspx?ride=16&info=1
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2013, 02:14:12 pm »
The vibes on slowing down may just be the chain lashing against the rubber protector on the swingarm. Dragging the rear brake a bit, not to slow you down significantly... just enough to keep the top run of the chain taut while you're off the throttle, will prove or eliminate that as the cause.

Hobgoblin

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2013, 11:24:59 pm »
Many thanks! That explains the 70mph slight vibration! I've re-lubed the chain today and 're checked and altered the chain tension again. We'll see what happens!