Date: 19-05-24  Time: 05:57 am

Author Topic: First Fazer 1000  (Read 4362 times)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
First Fazer 1000
« on: 04 November 2013, 05:29:16 pm »
Hi All,

Got my first Fazer (first Yamaha really...) gen 1 1000.  Currently in the process of doing it up (it was a crash damaged one - fairing/headlights, no mechanical damage).

Winging its way to me are R1 forks, s1000RR shock, Renthal 758's (plus crossbar), an all alloy race radiator (my old man is making that), brand new R1 mudguard from China (cheaper than a second hand one ...).

Looking forward to getting out on it!  Wanted something less focussed than my Fireblade and the Fazer seems to fit the bill, its certainly comfy to sit on!

Removing the seat I see there is a toolkit and (on mine) a standard rubber bungie with nothing under it (near the fuel tank), what is supposed to be in there?
Intentionally left blank

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: First Fazer 1000
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2013, 06:22:52 pm »
Hi All,
Removing the seat I see there is a toolkit and (on mine) a standard rubber bungie with nothing under it (near the fuel tank), what is supposed to be in there?
Battery ;)

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2013, 06:40:01 pm »
It might be the one that hold the handbook to the underside of the seat thats fell off, then again I might be talking Bo Locks  :eek

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2013, 06:55:23 pm »
There's not supposed to be anything there it's just a storage compartment which Yamaha provided an extra rubber strap for.

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2013, 07:00:49 pm »
On the underside of the seat itself there is provision for a U lock, probably only fits the genuine yam offering though.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2013, 07:19:02 pm »
Ah, it does look like there should be something there.

No worries, the toolkit is there which was all I was after really.
Intentionally left blank

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2013, 07:26:12 pm »
I've fitted an S1000RR shock with K-Tech uprated (heavier) than standard. Here if you need any advice etc.

It's the business by the way and looks great and weighs so much less than the standard junk.

Rich

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2013, 08:12:35 pm »
Cheers Rich,

I have a heavier spring as well and some for the forks.  They do look the biz, I had read about the R6 shock but couldn't find one on eBay, got the BMW one for 50 quid so it'll do, its a better shock anyway.

I have seen some Fazers "streetfightered" and am interested in seeing how they manage to tidy away the cables etc.  Mine came with no fairing inlays and I am not gonna fork out £50 for a couple so am thinking of making it tidy while I wait for some bargains to show up.  I have a nose cone ready to go on and headlights on the way but the nest of snakes looks a bit.....rustic without the covers :)
« Last Edit: 04 November 2013, 08:15:29 pm by NorthWestern »
Intentionally left blank

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2013, 08:22:01 pm »
Hi All,

Got my first Fazer (first Yamaha really...) gen 1 1000.

Well, welcome along.

:)

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2013, 08:24:51 pm »
On the underside of the seat itself there is provision for a U lock, probably only fits the genuine yam offering though.

Nope. This one fits straight in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Bike-Lock-Flex-Cable/dp/B005YPK8G2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1383596552&sr=1-1&keywords=kryptonite+lock

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2013, 10:53:41 pm »
Quite interested in the s1000rr shock idea, does it bolt straight on?? Any mods required etc.

Jim.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 November 2013, 09:33:18 am »
Someone on this forum has fitted one I think (or another fazer forum).

I think fitting them takes less effort than the R6 (they both need the bolt holes drilling out to accept the larger Fazer ones) but for the s1000RR shock thats it.  I seem to recall the R6 fitment needs some grinding (I am sure Devlisyam is much better placed to talk about this) and dog bones.

It appears that the BMW shock spring, while firmer than the std Fazer one, is not as firm as the R6 so people fitting them do tend to put firmer ones on, this is not required on the R6 mod.

I guess its horses for courses really, the shock I have is off a 2013 bike and is only a few mm longer than the std one so it does not require new dogbones.  I have a firmer spring for it lying around (well...my dad has) so for me it wasn't an issue.

I very much doubt there will be any appreciable difference on the roads between the two so it comes down to availability and personal preference of looks.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2013, 10:46:51 am by NorthWestern »
Intentionally left blank

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2013, 10:53:33 am »

Nope. This one fits straight in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Bike-Lock-Flex-Cable/dp/B005YPK8G2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1383596552&sr=1-1&keywords=kryptonite+lock

I wonder if this would fit the 600 as well?

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 November 2013, 01:40:44 pm »
No....This one should though...Home >  Cheap Padlocks   Cheap Padlocks This range of cheap / budget padlock are good for a low security solution. Where a deterrent is needed rather than high security against an attack. The smaller padlocks would also be suitable for school lockers, gym lockers and luggage. They have a variety of commercial and industrial uses along with the more unusual uses such as 'Lock and key parties'.

Click on the padlocks below to view prices!!
  Displaying 1 to 6 (of 6 products) 

Product Image
Item Name-
Tri-circle iron padlock, 20mm
Tri-circle iron padlock, 20mm The Tri-circle iron padlocks is our lowest cost padlock and is perfect for many applications that the visual deterrent is more important than...
:lol

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 November 2013, 12:24:25 pm »
bits arriving today, while I am at work!  Insured it yesterday (bit more costly than I thought it would be) so once I stick the radiator on (picking that up tonight) I can go for a maiden voyage (well a 5 min blast in the dark).

Whats the best excuse to leave work early......
« Last Edit: 06 November 2013, 12:25:25 pm by NorthWestern »
Intentionally left blank

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 November 2013, 08:58:14 pm »
You can't beat coming home to a warm loving pile of goodies! - err of course I mean the family....

The prize jewel was the alloy race radiator my dad made today!

Not sure if I should cover it up with the shrouds....

(ignore the old mesh on the front that is only "for now" and to make sure the mounts are correct etc

The rest of the goodies are just bought items you've probably seen a hundred times before
Intentionally left blank

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 November 2013, 01:00:01 pm »
Looking about the bike last night I noticed it has a full touring scotoiler on it with a full tank of oil (although from the look of the chain it has not been working for a bit). 

Also, when I lifted the petrol tank to pull some cables through when fitting the headlights there were some long nosed pliers under there!
Intentionally left blank

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 November 2013, 01:24:59 pm »
Stuck the BMW shock on yesterday.  The top bolt caused a bit of a problem (needed a hefty few whacks).

It was the first time I rode the bike, 7 miles to my dads to put the shock on.  Felt weird at first but I think this is due to a strange Maxxis rear tyre, it looks like a loaf shape!

Anyway with the new shock on the ride home it certainly felt better.  I had an unplanned ride on it today, getting on the M6 it was closed so turned the cage around and went home for the bike.  As it was raining I put my top box (which was on eBay at the time) on and stuck a change of clothes in it etc. 

Got to work very impressed with it, much nicer on the roads than the Fireblade!  Removed the Top Box off eBay too, I can see it being useful although I will probably not leave it on all the time.

Next to go on will be the R1 forks, just waiting for some yokes. Then paint, then exhaust then....

Intentionally left blank