Date: 07-05-24  Time: 03:45 am

Author Topic: exhaust paint  (Read 1712 times)

Gromit

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
exhaust paint
« on: 02 June 2012, 05:03:45 pm »
Being the tight arse that i am and not wanting to fork out for new down pipes i was wondering if you guys would be able to point me in the direction of the best solution for painting down pipes.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: exhaust paint
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2012, 06:14:41 pm »
Pretty sure most motor places will carry high temperature paint. Realistically thats all you will need, can even buy the stuff that you can use on a wood burning fire if you wanted to. Mostly I think it just comes as standard paint but you can get aerosol versions. If it were me, (and bare in mind im lazy) id probably walk in to halfords... as much as I dont like it there...

born to be mild

• Weekend Warrior
  • I am not a number, I am a free man.
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Speedtriple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2012, 10:47:16 pm »
Dead Eye, sorry to contradict but i can most definately recomend that you DONT use the halfords product, I used it on my Triumph and it peeled straight off, the pipes were shotblasted, degreased and had several thin coates applied but the pain was useless. On the fazer ive used the Plasticote barbecue paint and its worked a treat with no greying as yet, two years on. i seem to remember i got it from Bouyes or Wilkinsons.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2012, 12:03:06 am »
Thats fine, I've had no experience with any of their high temperature products, was just aware that they sold them. Regardless, I always try to go somewhere else before resorting to Halfords ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2012, 08:45:19 am »
Dead Eye, sorry to contradict but i can most definately recomend that you DONT use the halfords product, I used it on my Triumph and it peeled straight off, the pipes were shotblasted, degreased and had several thin coates applied but the pain was useless. On the fazer ive used the Plasticote barbecue paint and its worked a treat with no greying as yet, two years on. i seem to remember i got it from Bouyes or Wilkinsons.

ah yes .....i had the same problem,never had any problems with plasticote products....i would try wilkinsons first for best price.........i too am not a big fan of halfords  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

born to be mild

• Weekend Warrior
  • I am not a number, I am a free man.
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Speedtriple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2012, 07:51:07 pm »
f****g halfords, its pathetic that they market their crap as exhaust paint yet the other cheaper stuff from wilkos is simply called barbecue paint and works fine.
Not that Im bitter or anything,,,,,,,

Shytalk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2012, 06:28:49 pm »
Being the tight arse that i am and not wanting to fork out for new down pipes i was wondering if you guys would be able to point me in the direction of the best solution for painting down pipes.

Wilko BBQ paint does the job 8)  and is relatively cheap too.