Date: 01-05-24  Time: 12:29 pm

Author Topic: Genuine Yam Parts  (Read 4066 times)

wheelywill

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - yamaha rd 125
    • View Profile
Genuine Yam Parts
« on: 03 December 2013, 07:30:26 pm »
Hi, need a couple of genuine parts for my Gen1  looked on cmsnl site cant believe there prices is this the norm or can anyone recommend someone else cheers Dave

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
Re: Genuine Yam Parts
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2013, 07:46:05 pm »
AJ Sutton but they are as pricey, try googling the part number that's what I do when looking for genuine stuff.
Mark :)

wheelywill

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - yamaha rd 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2013, 08:09:18 pm »
cheers Mark I will give it a try 

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2013, 10:04:18 pm »
Hi, What are the genuine parts you are looking for?
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

wheelywill

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - yamaha rd 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2013, 10:19:59 pm »
Hi looking for rear under tray/fender including reflector, number plate hanger 

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2013, 10:26:30 pm »
Have you tried any breakers?  Rear end stuff is easier to find and can be unmarked.
Intentionally left blank

wheelywill

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - yamaha rd 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2013, 10:33:07 pm »
been keeping an eye out for a couple of weeks on ebay no luck just seam to be plenty about for fzs600 found a rear fender only for 78 dollars but they wanted 96 dollars to post it

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2013, 08:06:50 am »
Genuine Yam parts are always expensive (any bodywork parts seem to be especially stupid).

Tried the Partfinder site?

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2013, 08:15:07 am »
Hills on ebay or google them are pretty cheap

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2013, 09:25:03 am »
I take it your not in the UK?

Probably worth phoning breakers/salvage to be honest, they only seem to put popular stuff up on eBay.  I bought a crashed Fazer 1000 Gen1 to do up and got everything I needed in a single weekend by phoning, I only needed 1 item to be posted and that was a headlight the rest I found local (and cheap).

Odd that you can't find them, when I started looking a lot of the stuff I needed was much more common from the USA.  Saying that I was looking for frontend bits...
Intentionally left blank

stupidamerican

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2013, 10:14:19 am »
A couple of sites I've dealt with in the USA that are rather good-

MrCycles.com

and

BikeBandit.com

I have no idea what shipping would cost.

I'd be curious to know the differences in price prior to shipping fees.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2013, 10:18:48 am »
I see your in Cheshire?  The reference to dollars threw me :)

Try the Bike Hut (Bristol).  These had the headlights I struggled to find locally

http://www.bikehutbristol.co.uk/

They have a specific Fazer site (follow the Fazer Spares button).  They don't seem to list much there but when I called they had everything I needed (I asked about stuff I was already picking up local to check the prices I was being quoted were ok).  They sent the headlights and didn't charge for postage, got it a couple of days later and they kept all the little rubbers/screws, bulbs, socks on it.

There are loads of breakers in the NW, I used Berties in Chorley and a place in Wigan - can't remember the exact name but was something like Mad Bits or something near Wigan Pier...

That said I have yet to find any reasonably cheap front fairing inlays (I am not paying 50 quid for some second hand ones with scratches/pulled mounting holes).  If someone would loan me some to make a mould from I could make carbon fibre ones.....  I am sure I could make a set for the person lending them gratis :)
Intentionally left blank

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2013, 01:29:36 pm »

Try the Bike Hut (Bristol).  These had the headlights I struggled to find locally

They have a specific Fazer site (follow the Fazer Spares button).  They don't seem to list much there but when I called they had everything I needed (I asked about stuff I was already picking up local to check the prices I was being quoted were ok).  They sent the headlights and didn't charge for postage, got it a couple of days later and they kept all the little rubbers/screws, bulbs, socks on it.

There are loads of breakers in the NW, I used Berties in Chorley and a place in Wigan - can't remember the exact name but was something like Mad Bits or something near Wigan Pier...

That said I have yet to find any reasonably cheap front fairing inlays (I am not paying 50 quid for some second hand ones with scratches/pulled mounting holes).  If someone would loan me some to make a mould from I could make carbon fibre ones.....  I am sure I could make a set for the person lending them gratis :)

I'm quickly looking to see where NorthWestern lives and whether it's feasible to run to his house from Southampton to lend him my fairing inlays?

Damn, too far

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

wheelywill

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - yamaha rd 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2013, 05:39:16 pm »
Thank you for your ideas and comments trouble with looking at second hand theres usually something wrong or its not as described so I may have to bite the bullet and buy new cheers Dave

Ianboydsnr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2013, 06:09:12 pm »

If you plan on making a batch, I could be interested in a pair, fowlers have them at £30 and £37 a side plus postage!, assuming you mean the fairing inners !

Where are you, I might be able to borrow a set, will they get damaged?
« Last Edit: 04 December 2013, 06:14:47 pm by Ianboydsnr »

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2013, 08:55:17 pm »
Yeah the black inners that cover the rectifier/radiator cap etc.

I am in Lancashire. They won't get damaged no.  I only have the right hand one and its damaged anyway (one mount hole has been pulled over the bolt head and it looks like it has been twisted).

If people are interested then I could just take it on the chin and buy some new ones to make moulds off and recoup the money selling them to gullable punt....I mean discerning clientel.

Once I have moulds I can make them with various specs (ie fibreglass, fibreglass with carbon presentation side or full carbon).  Vacuum bagged etc with a flawless finish.
Intentionally left blank

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2013, 09:03:47 pm »
What kind of price do you expect to sell the genuine carbon ones for? On the US FZ1 site, they seem very interested in these too, so you might have a double market if they're good.

Ianboydsnr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2013, 09:09:32 pm »
Yeah the black inners that cover the rectifier/radiator cap etc.

I am in Lancashire. They won't get damaged no.  I only have the right hand one and its damaged anyway (one mount hole has been pulled over the bolt head and it looks like it has been twisted).

If people are interested then I could just take it on the chin and buy some new ones to make moulds off and recoup the money selling them to gullable punt....I mean discerning clientel.

Once I have moulds I can make them with various specs (ie fibreglass, fibreglass with carbon presentation side or full carbon).  Vacuum bagged etc with a flawless finish.

How long would you want them for?

I can borrow a set in good condition,
I am in Cumbria, Cockermouth to be exact,
Shame I was in Preston last Saturday!

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2013, 09:25:33 pm »
A couple of days.  The process would only take an hour or so, then left overnight to harden.  From that point the original panels are removed and not needed (apart from maybe referencing), they are cleaned up and thats it.

As for price, I am not really sure.  Up to this point I was only planning on knocking some out for myself.  Its been a few years since I bought CF cloth so not really sure about material costs.  Just a quick google though I think they would be around £100 for a set (both sides).  That would cover my time and materials (CF ain't that cheap nowadays).

I have noticed that you can now get coloured cloth so (heaven forbid) you want a CF weave with some blue thread in it thats possible...

TBH I wasn't expecting any demand...

I am wondering if I should make some radiator shrouds, make a couple of sets and post pics on here.  I can make a set for this forum that members can pass around to other members who want to see the quality of work.  These are smaller (therefore cheaper to make) I would like them myself and I have some I can use.
Intentionally left blank

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2013, 09:43:18 pm »

As for price, I am not really sure.  Up to this point I was only planning on knocking some out for myself.  Its been a few years since I bought CF cloth so not really sure about material costs.  Just a quick google though I think they would be around £100 for a set (both sides).  That would cover my time and materials (CF ain't that cheap nowadays).

I have noticed that you can now get coloured cloth so (heaven forbid) you want a CF weave with some blue thread in it thats possible...

TBH I wasn't expecting any demand...

FYI:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130894

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129603
« Last Edit: 04 December 2013, 09:44:10 pm by nick crisp »

Ianboydsnr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2013, 09:56:58 pm »
I could probably meet sometime at devils bridge, with the infil panels,

Strangely I have a couple of square metres of carbon fibre cloth somewhere!

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 December 2013, 10:08:23 pm »
ok firstly, sorry about the thread hijack :)

Leave it with me.  IIRC I don't have any materials to make the molds at the mo although I probably have enough cloth.  I will see about making some rad shrouds before borrowing your infils, I will get the bits I need.  Might not be this side of christmas but I will try

Intentionally left blank