Date: 11-05-24  Time: 09:18 am

Author Topic: Best way to fit a cluth cable ?  (Read 911 times)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Best way to fit a cluth cable ?
« on: 18 November 2014, 08:40:47 pm »
Hi Foccer's,
Ever since I've owned my gen 1, the clutch has always felt heavy.
I've tried lubricating many times and it's felt better for a while but ultimately goes stiff pretty quickly.
I'm always squeezing other bikes clutch levers and they always feel so light compared to mine.
My local bike shop has got a couple of gen 1's in atm and after feeling how light the clutches were on them I've finally bit the bullet and bought a new oem clutch cable.
Now I haven't even had the tank up yet to see how awkward it's going to be to thread through the engine but I'm imagining it's going to be tricky.
I'm thinking of taping the new and old together end on end and pulling the old one out from the bottom in the hope that it pulls the new one through with it.
Anyone got any tips for me or am I making a problem of something that doesn't exist ?

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to fit a cluth cable ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2014, 11:05:55 pm »
It is not that difficult,I fitted a new clutch cable to my gen1 by just leaving the original one in position and then just routing the new one alongside. When the new one was routing correctly I just undid the ends of the old one and pulled it out,it was easier to do than I thought it would be.  Also I would spray something like WD40 on the moving linkage at the carbs, on mine it was a bit stiff.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to fit a cluth cable ?
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2014, 04:46:52 pm »
Cheers for that Slappy, went with your way as it made more sense.
Clutch feels lovely and light now, just waiting for a nice dry bright day to try it out. :thumbup