Date: 28-04-24  Time: 12:35 pm

Author Topic: Speedo and rev counter stopped working, can anyone help?  (Read 2995 times)

Bonzodave

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Speedo and rev counter stopped working, can anyone help?
« on: 27 March 2016, 02:55:34 pm »
Hi guys went on the first sunny ride of the year on Friday, top ride! But my speedo and Rev counter stopped working they speedo started jumping around at first then stopped working then about a hour later the Rev counter did the same, any ideas what it could be? Cheers guys

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo and rev counter stopped working, can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2016, 09:53:53 am »

Hi, do all the other lights on the display still work? It'll do you no harm to check the fuses.
It could be the speedo sensor but with revs not working it might be something else. Check and clean the multi plug in the back of the clocks, and check the speedo sensor is firmly in place. Back of the clocks and at front wheel centre, make sure the lugs are properly seated.Check the TPS for the revs. Turn ignition switch on, and unplug the TPS, it's the black plug on the right hand side of the carbs. It should go to 5000 if all's well.

« Last Edit: 28 March 2016, 09:55:16 am by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Bonzodave

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2016, 12:06:10 pm »
Yeah all the lights on display still work, I'll try the TPS and check all the connections!  cheers for the help celticdog

Bonzodave

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2016, 01:11:56 pm »
Hi I've checked the TPS by disconnecting it and the revs went to 3 then my actual revs then zero which kept repeating does this mean the TPS is faulty? What and where is the TPS? Cheers guys

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2016, 02:17:32 pm »
Hi I've checked the TPS by disconnecting it and the revs went to 3 then my actual revs then zero which kept repeating does this mean the TPS is faulty? What and where is the TPS? Cheers guys

3000rpm to 0rpm means it's either unplugged, or totally knackered, but you don't mention plugging it back in.
Unplug it then plug it back in again, with the ignition on but not the engine running.

If it shows 0rpm or 10,000rpm then it will need adjusting, it should be on 5000rpm.

Check your speedo cable isn't being worn away by your disc as well.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Bonzodave

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2016, 05:08:44 pm »
Just unplugged the TPS turned the ignition on then plugged it back in and the revs went to 3 for a second then went to 5 and stayed there! Does that mean it's ok?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2016, 05:26:48 pm »
Just unplugged the TPS turned the ignition on then plugged it back in and the revs went to 3 for a second then went to 5 and stayed there! Does that mean it's ok?

I normally unplug it with the ignition on, but yeah that sounds fine.

Bonzodave

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2016, 05:37:26 pm »
Think it is ok then as I tried both ways, ignition on and unplugg and then ignition off then unplugg

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2016, 05:53:40 pm »
Think it is ok then as I tried both ways, ignition on and unplugg and then ignition off then unplugg

The TPS wouldn't have affected your speedo anyway, only the rev counter if it was knackered.
When the TPS is not set in the correct position the bike will still run but it just doesn't feel right, and i notice what i can only describe as a "shivering" effect, it's subtle but i can spot it now.

Bonzodave

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2016, 07:06:10 pm »
What I thought was the Rev counter knackered could have been it showing a error code about the speedo? The Haynes mentions a fault code for the speedo

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

hamish86

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2016, 09:21:43 pm »
I bad the same a couple of months ago with the speedo(not the rev counter) forgive me as  i cant remember the name of the part but there is a little insert that goes in by the front wheel, when i took it to the shop they charged me about £40 for the replacement and to fit it. The insert cost about £15. Hope that helps