Date: 28-04-24  Time: 12:43 pm

Author Topic: Northwest 200  (Read 928 times)

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Northwest 200
« on: 30 April 2023, 12:39:39 pm »
On the spur of the moment I’ve decided to visit the Northwest 200 and wondered if anyone has been and could offer some advice to save me wasting valuable time?
I’m going with my two (adult) boys who have very little interest in bikes so don’t want to tie myself into the inner circuit.

Gaz1978

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Northwest 200
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2023, 12:01:09 am »
Park in Portrush at the beach carpark and you can walk to the Metropole then you can walk into the town centre in a few minutes when they get bored 👍

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2023, 09:22:27 am »
 Anywhere on the Portstewart - Portrush coast road will give you access to Portrush or Portstewart, long walk either way, but great viewing along it and access to the Pits.  Sections of the coast road would need be accessed only between races to get to both places but there are coastal paths   in both  direction. Plenty of parking on the coast road near the pits, but roads close at 9:30am until races are over

Great race as long as the weather holds up.

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2023, 02:10:56 pm »
So we've booked an AirBnB in Portrush right on the Portstewart Road. According to my Son its overlooking the track, so if it rains we can watch it out the window and on the TV! :lol :lol

Thanks for the info. I'll report back if I survive!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2023, 11:10:37 pm »
We have booked a full house on the Portrush side near the railway bridge, Roll on the Thursday

redviffer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph st1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2023, 02:45:51 pm »
Did the NW200 a few years back, not too impressed. Viewing away from the stands is limited fills up very early and can involve a lot of walking. Away from the 3 town centres the bikes flash by so fast theres little to see. The apartment on the seafront at Portrush was fab, but the NI welcome was lacking. In fact we experienced some anti British feeling on several occasions. Thats in complete contrast south of the border, where Ive holidayed numerous times and would strongly urge any biker to do. Eire is amazingDont get me wrong there are great sights in the North, the east coast road from the Giants causeway to just before Belfast is gob smacking. Arguably the finest and I think 2nd longest coastal road in Europe.So my advise would be book seats in the stands, dont be surprised at anti Brit sentiments, hopefully you dont experience it, but this aint the South. And ride that coast road.
Triumph Sprint ST1050 Heavily Modified!
YZF750/T- ACE/R1 project bike
1986 FZ750, 1998 ZZR1100

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2023, 09:02:41 pm »
Did the NW200 a few years back, not too impressed. Viewing away from the stands is limited fills up very early and can involve a lot of walking. Away from the 3 town centres the bikes flash by so fast theres little to see. The apartment on the seafront at Portrush was fab, but the NI welcome was lacking. In fact we experienced some anti British feeling on several occasions. Thats in complete contrast south of the border, where Ive holidayed numerous times and would strongly urge any biker to do. Eire is amazingDont get me wrong there are great sights in the North, the east coast road from the Giants causeway to just before Belfast is gob smacking. Arguably the finest and I think 2nd longest coastal road in Europe.So my advise would be book seats in the stands, dont be surprised at anti Brit sentiments, hopefully you dont experience it, but this aint the South. And ride that coast road.

Must admit I’m of the generation that lived through “the troubles” and I’m a bit wary of NI. In saying that my Sons’ father in law lives there and he’s been many times with no issues so I’m trying to go with an open mind. We’ve got the coastal road planned for Sunday so if the Saturday isn’t too successful I’m sure the Sunday will!
Saturday weather is looking good too😀😀

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2023, 02:47:01 pm »
Glad to report that we had a great time. Very friendly people and great roads.
Main take away from the race perspective was how difficult it is to see the race from the roadside without careful planning and course knowledge.

Luckily the AirBnB had a view of The Metropole (I think it was anyway). I did have to hang out the window to see it but I was like a pig in sh1t  leaning out the window as they came by, whilst watching the race streaming on my phone ( 30 seconds delay) and on the TV (an additional 30 seconds delay) 😂😂😂

After the race I had a great time with my boys by both massively over eating and drinking in equal measure.

Following day was breakfast in Portstewart Strand then a drive around the Coast Road including all the normal tourist points.
Absolutely brilliant.

If you’ve got a National Trust card take that as it’ll give you entry into the Giants Causeway and the Rope Bridge for you and a.n.other.

What amazed me most was how good the road surfaces are and just how few people are on them. Even during this weekend it was busy but no where near as bad as England would be. Even the trains were plentiful, on time and cheap.
We’re already planning on going back next year if it’s actually on.

One last thing. Take comfortable shoes. On day one I did 8.5 miles and the next day just under 10!