Date: 27-04-24  Time: 18:15 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1605247 times)

ChrisJones09

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #8875 on: 26 August 2022, 08:54:06 pm »
Well today, after having weeks of what I thought was throttle position sensor issues, I found the push clip connectors to the igniter unit weren’t pushed in fully…. A read of the Haynes manual and the wiring diagram show the sensor going into the unit.

3 different sensors later and it came down to me being a dick…

I must have not connected them fully after messing about taking the rear cowling off.

Lesson learnt, don’t arse about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8876 on: 26 August 2022, 09:15:41 pm »
Over the past 10 days or so, I've ridden down to Croyde Bay in North Devon for some surfing, only getting slightly soaked through on the way down when, after mostly fine weather, I ran into a thunderstorm around Tiverton.

I had been taking a fun route, but, after that, I decided to cut it short and take the A361 to Barnstaple, after which, the sun came out again!

I was planning on going out for a ride around South Devon/ Dartmoor on one day, but I got ten feet outside the campsite and felt something was very wrong and discovered that, somewhere along the road, I'd picked up a screw in my rear tyre :(

It was only small, but big enough to get through and create a slow leak, so I spent about 10 minutes putting in a temporary "get you home" plug and then using the mini compressor to get some air back in it. I was stopped by the side of the country lane opposite a passing place and, whilst I was there, dozens of cars and vans drove past and, unsurprisingly, not a single one of the foccers stopped!

Eventually an old guy on a bike pulled up and asked if there was anything he could do to help, but, by that point I was pretty much sorted, still, it was nice that at least someone gave a damn.

So then I had to wait several days until Irelands in Barnstaple could fit me into their workshop schedule and fix it on the day before I was due to ride 180 miles home to Portsmouth.

At least I got to ride the fun route back home via the A377, A30 and A36...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: 27 August 2022, 09:21:28 am »
Well today, after having weeks of what I thought was throttle position sensor issues, I found the push clip connectors to the igniter unit weren’t pushed in fully…. A read of the Haynes manual and the wiring diagram show the sensor going into the unit.

3 different sensors later and it came down to me being a dick…

I must have not connected them fully after messing about taking the rear cowling off.

Lesson learnt, don’t arse about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch  :'(
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: 27 August 2022, 09:52:29 am »
Found out i had a fractured clutch pressure plate a few weeks ago when the clutch lever started misbehaving.
Ended up having to wait 2 weeks for a new plate from abroad, but changed the steel & friction plates and OEM springs while i was at it.
Then had some time off work so replaced the fork seals and put fresh 15w oil in the forks, which was long overdue but the steering felt fine. Does feel nice and solid now though.
And while off i then put the bike in for an MOT which it passed no problem.  :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: 28 August 2022, 05:18:31 pm »
Had a few hours exploring The Lambourne Downs this morning. Then stopped at Uffington white horse on the way home.not sure what was best.the roads or the views.
One, is never going to be enough.....

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8880 on: 29 August 2022, 09:36:12 am »
Hi Mr Red. Good to see the mighty thou out and about again. :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8881 on: 29 August 2022, 09:24:37 pm »
Hi ROBBO...Clocking up a fair few miles this year. not done many over the last couple of years due to covid and things. Out again today for breakfast at The Pig Place at Aynho and then onto The Super Sausage at Towcester, Daughter riding pillion as a warm up for next weeks Brighton Burn-up.

Great report as usual on your "Day trip to Cornwall" Your putting us youngsters to shame  ;)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8882 on: 03 September 2022, 08:22:29 am »
New front tyre fitted yesterday, then a gentle 100 miles or so around Surrey and Sussex to scrub it in. Stopped off at the Chalet to make sure the sausage sandwich is as good as ever. Nice fast service there, unlike tomorrow when it will be rammed with people on their way to Brighton for the Ace Reunion.

Phill nailer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - 2000 R6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8883 on: 04 September 2022, 09:18:11 pm »
Today we went to the Ace cafe run in Brighton, 2  Mk 1 600s, 2 FJ 600s and a Pan European, Good showing of FZS 1000s and 600s. Nice run from the Isle of Wight to Brighton for us.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8884 on: 05 September 2022, 06:47:57 am »
Brighton for me yesterday aswell. Rode down from tha ace cafe with my daughter as pillion. Fish and chips on the beach,Had a stroll down the prom looking at the bikes and a differnt route on the way home taking in the view at Box hill. 269 miles for the day on the mighty thou.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8885 on: 09 September 2022, 11:59:52 pm »
Oil and filter change today and a tweak on the manual cam chain adjuster. Bolted on the pannier frames in preparation for my Wednesday depart for the 100th Bol d’Or. Hope to get there a day earlier than usual and bag a decent camping spot.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8886 on: 14 September 2022, 11:17:55 am »
Putting the Fazer back into "road mode", after Mondays track day at Donington. Nothing technical, just replacing the pillion footrests/centre stand/mirrors/refitting the 16t front sprocket. A bit pissed at the price of a new front sprocket nut, £25 in total including vat and postage

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8887 on: 20 September 2022, 05:53:36 pm »
Finally finished what I started. I've been insulating under the house floors as well before winter. Only 2 feet of headroom under there so its been a bastard of a job. Ran out of material so fetched one more pack to finishe tomorrow. So got back to the fazer, washed, dried, bit of polish here and there, calipers off and cleaned, then wafted it over with ACF50

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8888 on: 22 September 2022, 05:28:09 pm »
Finally finished under the floor so out on the bike this afternoon. Just out a couple of hours, Duffield-Wirksworth-Idregay and around the Dales a bit, stopped off in Matlock for refreshment then back home

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8889 on: 29 September 2022, 05:54:47 pm »
Wiped all the French bugs off the headlights, and off to the MOT station as it was that time of the year again. Breezed through as always :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8890 on: 08 October 2022, 04:12:42 pm »
This morning was too nice not to be out on the bike. Took the B road route down to The Chalet, which wasn't that busy, meaning the food service would be quite quick. A sausage sandwich was duly despatched whilst enjoying the sun, then headed off to Whiteways at Bury Hill. This was much busier, with quite a queue for a drink. Being already on the A29, made Rykas my natural final stop, again quite busy, but their milkshakes more than make up for the wait. Getting home in time for the first WSB race from Portimao, was now the next task, but a crucial road home that crosses the M25, was closed due to an incident. The detour was quite painfull  mainly due to drivers baulking at overtaking cyclists. Good job I had WSB on record. ;)

notsofast

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - GSXR600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8891 on: 08 October 2022, 06:52:31 pm »
More than a little envious - The weather was great up my way too but unfortunatelly I had to waste it staining the timber windows  :'( .  Looked wistfully at the FZ1 in the garage each time I walked past........

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8892 on: 29 October 2022, 09:33:26 am »
A last whizz out on the Fazer yesterday before the sorn kicks in. Just a Surrey/Sussex loop down to the Chalet for a compulsory, for me, sausage sandwich with plenty of brown sauce. Carried on round to Bury Hill and Petworth, for a last rip, of this year, down my favourite stretch of the A272, back to Billingshurst and home. With the tank brimming with 99 octane and a liberal splosh of Sta Bil, she's now covered up at the back of the garage awaiting some winter maintenance, which will have to wait for a while as project bathroom has just begun :eek .

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8893 on: 29 October 2022, 10:55:10 am »
A last whizz out on the Fazer yesterday before the sorn kicks in. Just a Surrey/Sussex loop down to the Chalet for a compulsory, for me, sausage sandwich with plenty of brown sauce. Carried on round to Bury Hill and Petworth, for a last rip, of this year, down my favourite stretch of the A272, back to Billingshurst and home. With the tank brimming with 99 octane and a liberal splosh of Sta Bil, she's now covered up at the back of the garage awaiting some winter maintenance, which will have to wait for a while as project bathroom has just begun :eek .

Just had a look to see what that Sta Bil was all about, and was quite shocked to read that "the higher the fuel octane, the shorter the lifespan", because I would've thought with zero Ethanol in Esso 99, for example, and more cleaning additives,  it would last longer?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8894 on: 29 October 2022, 11:15:23 am »
Never knew that Sta Bil was less effective with higher octane. This will be the third year I’ve used it to winterise the bike, which has always started with no issues. I was using Sea Foam before that, just came across a discount deal for Sta Bil, so went with that. I expect it’s all “snake oil” :lol , but just gives some peace of mind.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8895 on: 29 October 2022, 01:51:50 pm »
Never knew that Sta Bil was less effective with higher octane. This will be the third year I’ve used it to winterise the bike, which has always started with no issues. I was using Sea Foam before that, just came across a discount deal for Sta Bil, so went with that. I expect it’s all “snake oil” :lol , but just gives some peace of mind.

ESSO 99 Supreme has zero Ethanol in it, whereas other 99 fuels have the 5%.

Been said on here many times before that it's highly unlikely that fuel will go off quickly, especially just over the winter period, but if this gear protects other parts then that's fair enough.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8896 on: 29 October 2022, 09:26:21 pm »

Been said on here many times before that it's highly unlikely that fuel will go off quickly, especially just over the winter period, but if this gear protects other parts then that's fair enough.
The 99 octane was Esso,which in the south east at least contains no ethanol, as you stated. At the end of the day I just want to be able start the bike up come say April, without any issues. I know fuel does, over time, become stale, so using the snake oil just provides a level of comfort, so if there are starting problems next year, I can feel I did my best in averting them.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8897 on: 29 October 2022, 10:25:16 pm »

The 99 octane was Esso,which in the south east at least contains no ethanol, as you stated. At the end of the day I just want to be able start the bike up come say April, without any issues. I know fuel does, over time, become stale, so using the snake oil just provides a level of comfort, so if there are starting problems next year, I can feel I did my best in averting them.

I stopped off at a garage near work yesterday and the forecourt was on a blatant upward slant (the way I parked).

I then come out and try starting it, with a very full forecourt of car passengers watching my every move, and the bastard just wouldn't start? So, fortunately with a balaclava and helmet on covering my embarrassment I composed myself and slowly moved the bike around so it was downhill, and it started immediately.  :lol
« Last Edit: 29 October 2022, 10:26:13 pm by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8898 on: 24 November 2022, 03:53:44 pm »
While ago noticed a mild flickering of my tail light, which I wasn't too concerned about as it went away with a bit of throttle.

Then early this week my heated grips on/off control module started behaving a bit erratically, staying on for a few hundred metres then switching itself off, so with daylight needed I was planning to have a look at the connections under the tank on Saturday.

Then on the way home last night the engine cut out while riding home. A quick touch of the starter button immediately brought if back to life so I carried on.
It cut out 5 times before I got home, noticeably when I used the indicators, but I got there by restarting each time.

Then with the bike on tickover at home one of my spotlights was madly flickering like a strobe light.
I switched them off, then my parking light next to the headlights was flickering instead.
Not being a fan of electrics I'm now starting to panic a bit.

As I've bought the same heated grips for the last 3 times I used to just replace the grips and use the power module that was already in place, plug them in, and all was well.
On that note I remembered I still had a brand new module so in the dark with a head torch on I swapped it over and thankfully it did the job and everything started behaving again as normal.  :woot
Changed the fuel filter while I was there too.

Bit fortunate to fix it so quick, but it all ended well.  :)
« Last Edit: 24 November 2022, 07:34:46 pm by darrsi »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8899 on: 02 January 2023, 03:01:40 pm »
Happy new year foccers  :thumbup ....only one way to start a new year. A ride on the fazer. Yesterday I took the mighty thou down to Hartley Whitney for the annual classic car meet.a good turn out and plenty of chatting about all things automotive. Just under 100 miles for the day .