Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:59 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1585154 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #8750 on: 11 November 2021, 07:53:16 pm »
I had to ride up to QA Hospital for an appointment.

Afterwards I *really* felt like heading out for a ride, but I've got too much work to do... :(

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: 13 November 2021, 04:37:32 pm »
After a ride over to my local Yam dealer for an oil filter and washer, dropped the oil out and left it to drain, whilst I caught up on today’s MotoGP qualifying.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: 13 November 2021, 05:33:10 pm »
Ticked a few more items off the To Do list...

Took apart the right grip and cleaned up and lubricated the throttle mechanism and cables to get rid of the annoying slightly sticky section so it now moves smoothly.

Bled the brakes. Not really necessary, there were only a few tiny bubbles in the fluid, but it's always good to check.

Lubed the ends of the clutch cable.

Tightened the chain which was a little too loose and then checked the rear wheel alignment (which is a bugger to try and do on your own!)

Fitted a blind spot mirror to replace the one that fell off the right mirror.

However I've also added a few more things to do, which I'll put in the other thread :)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: 09 December 2021, 10:39:21 pm »
I was due for a whizz out to Sussex today, but a late change of plan, meant I was billy no mates, but didn't want to waste the dry day opportunity., so I decided to have a venture out into Kent, just to make sure it was still there.

A combination of A and B roads got me to The Airport Cafe, between Ashford and Folkestone, in around 2 hours. After a tea and a snack, it was back on the bike heading for the wicked uphill bends on Dover Road, on route to the Battle of Britain Memorial. After a quick photo stop at the memorial it was onwards to Wingham and Canterbury, before turning for home taking in the Chilham Bends, which were as good as ever.
I got home just as it was getting dark, so for a "make it up as you go" sort of day, it worked out fine, with another 192 of our lovely English miles clicked onto the mileometer.

notsofast

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - GSXR600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: 10 December 2021, 03:59:51 pm »
Replaced the rear sprocket, cleaning up all the nuts and wheel axle as I went.  Also found the source of the noisy rear brake during inspection - The inner pad was not positioned properly and was hanging down on the pivot pin running on the wheel hub......I don't really use much back brake other than to keep the front end down on acceleration over bumps but still a shocker.  Also have been experimenting with ACF50 but after managing to get it on the tyres have decided that I will only use it on bolt heads and such like - nowhere near any rubber or brakey bits.  It seems to just keep running with gravity.  Regardless, will see how it protects the cleaned up sprocket nuts and wheel axle.  Bike back under cover now.  Thinking about trying the ACF50 on my skis edges to keep them rust free.....

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: 11 December 2021, 09:36:24 pm »
Yesterday I rode up to the dry ski slope in Southampton to get in some practice (first time in two years!), although I probably still won't get to go abroad this season, even if I wait until March :(

The trip turned into a bit of a palaver, unfortunately...

Firstly, a few weeks ago, one of the pins on the connector to the Optimate charger lead broke. "Oh well," I thought, that shouldn't be an issue.

Wrong!

I switched the bike on, pressed the starter: Chug, chug, bzzzt! The dreaded sound of a flat battery  :rolleyes

Ok, into 2nd gear, let's try bump starting it... let's try again... and again...

Finally, after half a dozen attempts, it finally fired, huzzah!

Except then, as I'm riding off, the oil light came on  :eek

Now I was going to replace the oil and filter anyway, and I knew the level was down, but I decided to give it a little longer as, at one point, when I braked, it went out, so it couldn't have been critically low.

However, as I was on the road leading to the bottom of the M275, it was still on and I was just deciding to head back and top up, when it went out again and, this time, it stayed off (phew!)

So I kept the revs up higher than normal to make sure the battery got a good charge and got to the ski slope without further incident (except I had to take a break from skiing after 30 minutes because I was knackered through the lack of practice and having to bump start the bike).

Fortunately, after that, I got back into the swing of things and the ride home was uneventful with it starting on the button and the oil light staying off.

Today I decided I'd fix the Optimate lead which involved a lot of faffing around to get at the Tamiya plug, then cut the old one off and solder new connections on.

Except that, having finally got it sorted, one of the pins was off centre, so I decided to use a pair of needle-nose pliers to straighten it out, unfortunately, because I was tired, I carelessly got one jaw of the pliers into each side of the plug and ZAP! a nice big spark appeared and a check with the multimeter showed that I'd managed to blow the fuse...  :'(

So now a new set of fuses is on order and that's another job to sort out.  :rolleyes

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: 14 December 2021, 05:54:01 pm »
The whizz down to Sussex that got cancelled last week, got rescheduled for today. Made an earlyish start going the long way to The Chalet via the A272. Not the nicest of mornings to be out, but hey, it wasn’t raining.
Met up with Flooky, who’s now gone over to Honda’s dark side, for brunch and a pre Christmas catchup. The cafe was relatively busy with maybe ten bikes calling in for a tea and a bite to eat, during our time there.
When it was time to go our separate ways, I chose an alternative long way home via Ditchling and the Ashdown Forest. Home in daylight, with only a paltry 120 miles covered, but still enjoyable especially with the Gerbings doing the business.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: 17 December 2021, 12:51:59 pm »
I had a few minutes to spare this afternoon, so a quick warm up of the engine, then drain the oil, new filter, new oil and a top up of the Scotoiler for good measure.

Another couple of jobs ticked off the list :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: 31 December 2021, 05:32:53 pm »
Had the last whizz of the year around Kent today. Stopped for a late breakfast at the Blue and White cafe, then up towards Capel le Ferne before picking up a knarly little farm access road that I'd spotted on Google maps. Then on to Wingham before cutting back on more nadgery roads to bypass Canterbury, heading for this years last dose of the Chilham bends. That's when I spotted the pub Christmas tree, thus completing the years last photo challenge.
More B roads got me to the outskirts of Headcorn, before a quick nip south then west and past the site of the long lamented Oakdene. My last ton+ of the year up Wrotham Hill and home. Although the roads were mainly wet, the day was quite mild and stayed rainfree, so glad I made the effort, racking up another 177 of our lovely English miles. However, I don't relish the chore of cleaning the bike in the morning. Happy New Year all, ride safe.  :thumbup
« Last Edit: 31 December 2021, 05:33:39 pm by robbo »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8759 on: 03 January 2022, 06:36:07 pm »
Capitalised on a dry forecast and got out for my first rideout of the New Year. Added a few more gnarly sections onto the loop of Kent that I did the other day. Knowing that the Blue and White would be open, made that the obvious choice for a breakfast stop, before heading for the Askham Valley and the gnarly lanes which turned out to be covered in mud after some tractor activity. Oh well, more cleaning tomorrow. I'd hoped to stop for a pint near Headcorn and watch the planes, but my first two choices were closed, so pressed on to The Peacock, just before Goudhurst, which didn't disappoint. It was dark by the time I got home, but all in all a very enjoyable day, with another 203 of our lovely English miles passing beneath the Fazers wheels.

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8760 on: 03 January 2022, 07:10:21 pm »
Errrrm... nothing, but I might go to the garage later and decide which bit to reassemble next 😅
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: 05 January 2022, 06:41:09 pm »
Started on project change the throttle cables. Have been putting this off for quite a while, but would hate for one to let go and spoil a trip, as it’s definitely not a roadside job, well, not for me that’s for sure. What a crap job. To think Mike would have the carbs out, Ivanised and the bike up and running inside 3 hours. The carbs are ready to be pulled off, but I’m saving that drama for tomorrow. :'(

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: 05 January 2022, 07:48:36 pm »
You'll get there in the end that's the main thing and save yourself some £'s along the way 👍

Never did a throttle cable change on my gen1, do you need the carbs out to do it?
*Disclaimer*

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: 05 January 2022, 08:30:17 pm »
You'll get there in the end that's the main thing and save yourself some £'s along the way 👍

Never did a throttle cable change on my gen1, do you need the carbs out to do it?
You certainly do, that’s why I kept the job on the back burner so to speak, as it is quite a chore. I just figured that at approaching 17 years old, although the mileage is only in the low 40’s, for peace of mind, I’d feel happier with them changed. The same reason I changed the clutch cable at 35k, although that would be a roadside fix if you had a spare.

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: 05 January 2022, 10:25:35 pm »

You certainly do, that’s why I kept the job on the back burner so to speak, as it is quite a chore. I just figured that at approaching 17 years old, although the mileage is only in the low 40’s, for peace of mind, I’d feel happier with them changed. The same reason I changed the clutch cable at 35k, although that would be a roadside fix if you had a spare.
lol good idea, at least you can still drive home with no clutch 👍
*Disclaimer*

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: 09 January 2022, 04:35:43 pm »
Had the carbs off today and changed the throttle cables. Nothing wrong with the old ones, but done for peace of mind really. A tip from b1k3rdude worked a treat, that being to push the airbox rubbers into the airbox to create more space for carb removal. I went the whole hog and took them out. Carbs in and out no problem. Persuading No3 airbox rubber to go back in place took some time purely down to the moulded shape of the airbox at the point where the ais hose used to fit. Should be plain sailing tomorrow, reconnecting the rest of the gubbins. Hopefully not “famous last words” :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: 10 January 2022, 06:17:29 pm »
All back together, fired up at the first touch of the button. A definite advantage in taking out the air filter is to be able to feel through the airbox rubbers, to make sure especially on cylinders 2 and 3, that the out of sight bottom portion of the rubbers are properly located.
Just the exup valve to service tomorrow, and that’s it. All intended jobs done. :thumbup

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: 10 January 2022, 06:41:12 pm »
All back together, fired up at the first touch of the button. A definite advantage in taking out the air filter is to be able to feel through the airbox rubbers, to make sure especially on cylinders 2 and 3, that the out of sight bottom portion of the rubbers are properly located.
Just the exup valve to service tomorrow, and that’s it. All intended jobs done. :thumbup
Another foccer job well done 👏

A little spare time goes a long way 👍
*Disclaimer*

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: 10 January 2022, 09:13:25 pm »
Gave it a quick wash off with the hose as I'd been cutting and sanding some wood in the shed over the weekend and the bike was covered in sawdust!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: 11 January 2022, 05:36:01 pm »
Exup valve serviced, chain meticulously cleaned. Started a thorough clean that will take some time due to the tractor flag from my last outing. Today I have been mostly listening to Thin Lizzy. :thumbup

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: 14 January 2022, 01:41:49 am »
Nice ride in the countryside with the Mrs bit of a slow one cos she was on her 125 but a fun few hrs 🙂
*Disclaimer*

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: 14 January 2022, 04:11:06 pm »
Exup valve serviced, chain meticulously cleaned. Started a thorough clean that will take some time due to the tractor flag from my last outing. Today I have been mostly listening to Thin Lizzy. :thumbup

Thin Lizzy. Awesome live band. Caught them a couple of times in the mis 70s. Fabulous atmosphere. I miss those days

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: 14 January 2022, 05:08:11 pm »
There's an excellent tribute band, Limehouse Lizzy. Check them out to see when they're next playing near you. You won't be disappointed. Are you out there, are you really out there. :thumbup

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: 15 January 2022, 02:53:30 pm »
So i thought i would have a bash at unseizing the EXUP valve , put the bike on the centre stand and notice the stand is split  :'(  anyway deal with that later, try and remove exup cover, 2 bolts ok 1 rounded , had to snap the cover to get it off, notice the cables are snapped, the pulley just crumbled and the bolt heads are just rust  :'(

So exup not fixed not sure to fit some non exup headers or try and fix this mess and looking at the header stud bolts i think i will try and fix the exup first.

Moved on to trying to fix the occasional working right hand indicators/hazard switch, stripped, cleaned, reassembled and nothing, so new(2nd hand) switch needed.

Did manage to fit two new exhaust clamps on the Micron  :rollin

Mark  :)

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: 15 January 2022, 05:09:57 pm »
Wow you're making me feel lazy, all I did was ride mine today 😄
Personally I would opt to fix the exup too 👍
*Disclaimer*