Date: 28-04-24  Time: 13:35 pm

Author Topic: Rear brake  (Read 4539 times)

CliffRose

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer600
    • View Profile
Rear brake
« on: 18 September 2012, 12:46:44 pm »
Guys I have heard that a better rear brake calliper comes from a fazer1000 is this correct and are they a direct replacement??????

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2012, 01:09:51 pm »
It is not a straight replacement - you need to grind down the mount in order to make it fit

someone who has actually done it will be along shortly to confirm the detail as above is all I know  :lol

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2012, 01:47:56 pm »
You use the rear brake then?
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2012, 11:29:20 pm »
You use the rear brake then?

Why wouldn't he?? Over the years, I've heard lots of "sports" riders telling newbies to forget the rear brake altogether - never use it - and it just makes me laugh. Why the foc would you not use the rear brake? In urban riding I use my rear brake all the time to come to a steady, slow stop (eg approaching amber/red traffic lights, etc). It gives you the right amount of reduction in speed and doesn't have the bike diving.

If I need to stop much quicker, I always start (momentarily) with the rear brake followed almost immediately with the front. The front brake is obviously the most powerful, providing the vast majority of braking force, but in an emergency stop, why the hell would you leave out some braking effect? True, it's easy to lock up the back wheel, but when you use it all the time in your riding, you get to know it and understand when enough pressure on that pedal is enough.

CliffRose : I wouldn't bother fitting a rear caliper designed for a much bigger bike - just focus on getting to know the one you've got. It's only there to provide a fairly small proportion of your braking - don't make it easy to lock up the back wheel.

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2012, 11:34:07 pm »
Just found this....OPTIMAL BRAKING

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2012, 12:16:52 am »
 :b
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2012, 09:03:11 am »
evrybody uses there bikes different but i also use the rear brake most of the time as it seems to settle the bike better esp if hard braking,i also tend to use it 50/50 in the wet as had far to many front wheels lock up in wet and throw me off,a back end lock can be saved much easyer!  a standard rear brake if looked after is more than enuf for the bike i think

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2012, 11:29:03 am »
Yeah i agree with MadDogMcQ, you don't really want the rear wheel locking up on the slightest touch, especially in bad conditions or in an emergency stop!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2012, 04:25:43 pm »
The term better can mean many things - and in the case of the thou blue spot swap onto the 600, it's not all about more power. While a well maintained standard 600 caliper is more than capable of locking up the rear, it's difficult to keep it well maintained. It's essentially a bad design, prone to corrosion and sticking pistons (not helped by the daft location). The blue spot from the thou (also TRX & TDM calipers, IIRC) are more resilient.

While I've potentially been lucky, and have had no bother with my rear (oo er missus!), there are plenty who have had it seize up completely - and that's why most have done the swap.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2012, 05:02:18 pm »
I found that swapping from EBC to Galfer pads has stopped a hell of a big brake dust problem which i'm sure contributes towards the seizing of calipers.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2012, 07:13:45 pm »
Yes Strifae is correct, I fitted one and all I had to do was file down a part of the 600 mount by about 3 to 4 mm to get a little clearance to get it to fit only other thing is the brake pipe needs to be tightened away from the stop to preven kinking. I put a small nut between the banjo and the stop to allow the correct torque to be set on the banjo bolt and removed it after all was installed/ Use new Copper washers. Not only does it operate much better it looks better also as front and rear match.  Just remember to order Fazer 1000 pads when renewing them.

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2012, 12:09:59 pm »
jeez, rear brake first. Darwin theory applies.

The Fazer 1000 REAR BLUE SPOT is about the best mod avaialble for the Fazer 600 and is easy to do but leave it someone that knows what they are doing if unsure.

Rear brake is great for trail braking and altering your line if overcooking it into bends, but would only recommend this if you know how to use your brakes properly in the first place.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2012, 12:14:45 pm »
Don't forget TRX850 and YZF750 rear calipers also fit. Use the TRX mounting bracket for least hassle.

Fitment link on old site: http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/30096/trx850-rear-brake-now-fitted-to-2001-fazer-600

The TRX calipers have the same brake seal kits as the Fazer 1000 so the pistons are the same 43mm diameter (and also the same improved stopping power)

You may also need the longer TRX rear brake line.

TRX caliper & mounting bracket:
Item number: 130717839898

TRX caliper only:
Item number: 370614828820

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2012, 02:59:14 pm »
Some of the R1's have blue spot calipers, will these fit?   
what year of YZF 750 is suitable "Nissin Caliper"?
« Last Edit: 23 September 2012, 03:10:08 pm by bwizz »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2012, 12:25:13 am »
R1 blue spot have different mounting points and are not a direct fit. Best is the Fazer 1000 Gen 1.

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 September 2012, 10:02:03 am »
Fazer thou ones are quite rare. FZS calipers turn up on e bay but model changes are hard to follow.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 September 2012, 05:51:00 pm »
R1 bluespot rears don't fit.

TRX850 rears do, but follow Andy's guide on the old site for what you need to alter.

XJR1300's also have bluespot rears, but it is unknown whether  fit: to my knowledge no-one has enquired re gap between mounting points. If they do, there's a plentiful suppply to be had...

XJR1200's have non-bluespot rears, but look very similar to the TRX & YZF750 rear calipers and therefore might fit.

YZF750 - there are references on the old site to these and Thunderace rears fitting ok, but no-one coming forward confirming they have successfully fitted one.  Yet again, the Sumitomo rears look identical to the TRX850 caliper.  It's a case of either borrowing one or getting a breaker to measure the gap between the mounting points. Again, loads to be had if they do fit.....