Date: 25-04-24  Time: 12:22 pm

Author Topic: Convert turn indicator to daylight running lights  (Read 1085 times)

FazerSimon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Convert turn indicator to daylight running lights
« on: 15 March 2022, 06:27:28 pm »
Hi All,

Do you think it is possible to convert the standard Fazer indicator lights to be "always on" like daylight running lights, and then for them to flash as usual when activated from the standard turn switch?

Cheers for any help / ideas.

Simon.

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
Re: Convert turn indicator to daylight running lights
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2022, 08:25:55 am »
It's doable, you'd probably need a change over relay (double throw) for each side linked into the indicator switch so it cuts the permanent power when indicators switched on, probably not legal in UK though.It's pretty much how the USA imports are as standard but I can't remember how they are wired, many years ago I got a USA Z650 for swmbo that worked as you say but I'm buggered if I can remember how I changed it back to normal, I thing it was all in the loom and just cut the sidelight wires but not sure, so if you can find an old yank wiring diagram it may help.Check the law first though.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2022, 09:30:59 am »
My Honda CRM250AR had indicators as described. Got moaned at by other road users as they found them confusing. Had trouble getting it mot’d. After altering the loom, can’t remember exactly how as long time ago, to get rid of the permanently on feature, I found this messed up the flash rate, which required more modding to satisfy the MOT, so not a fan.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

FazerSimon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2022, 10:07:54 pm »
Yes, I wondered about whether the UK regulations might affect this, but I note since 2020, UK BMW GS's can option a similar feature. Albeit the indicators are slightly dimmed when operating as running lights.

See examples here: https://youtu.be/_1BM3ypE4KI

I'll probably abandon this idea then, in favour of separate running lights, but am stuck on mounting ideas on the Fazer Thou. I don't really want them on the forks, and that doesn't leave many other options?