Date: 27-04-24  Time: 18:54 pm

Author Topic: Gen 1 LED Running light question  (Read 1494 times)

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gen 1 LED Running light question
« on: 28 January 2022, 08:39:07 am »
Hi people, I’m planning on installing 2 10watt LED running lights to my Gen 1 thou. I’ve read various threads on the forum regarding wiring. Some use a relay and a switch and some go straight from the battery. I’m wondering if I splice into my headlight dipped beam wire with both spotlights and then earth, (doing away with the need for a switch or relay) will I need to uprate the fuse for the lighting circuit? They are only 10w LED’s and although very bright I don’t think they draw much current.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 1 LED Running light question
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2022, 11:22:20 pm »
Always a safer option to use a relay and fuse it separately.

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2022, 08:05:45 am »
The easy option would be to splice directly into the dipped beam circuit as you suggested and as it draws 60/55w anyway then it won't be much extra load, I have done similar bodges on other bikes over the years with no issues, the more professional option would be the relay and take the live feed from the dipped beam circuit, I have also tried that method on my gen1 to wire in USB power source to the brake light circuit, although it worked well and was the more thorough option I really didn't like the extra wiring under the seat because of the additional fiddling when doing other maintenance tasks, the only thing I wouldn't recommend is going direct to the battery, if it were me I'd go for the easy option 😉
« Last Edit: 29 January 2022, 08:08:44 am by beuleux »
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2022, 06:10:00 pm »
Thanks for your replies, still undecided at the moment. I’ll work out which way to go after I’ve fabricated some mounting brackets for the lights…..

Timbo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2022, 10:14:39 am »
Use a relay!

You could also add a separate switch for them as well, so you have the option of turning them off in broad daylight when they are not required.  :D

I personally hate the things, far too bright, often badly adjusted and therefore dangerous to oncoming traffic. After 40yrs on a bike I still don't feel the need.

Cyclists even worse ... I had an oncoming pushbike the other night, the light was actually brighter than the adjacent traffic. Worse still, he was on the promenade which has street lighting anyway!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2022, 10:11:45 pm »
I wired mine into the side lights, as your able to turn the lights off/on via the r/h switch. as in off/side/main.