General > Front page

Avoid K&N oil filters? they apear to have a habit of exploding/leaking!

<< < (2/4) > >>

b1k3rdude:

--- Quote from: Gnasher on 24 October 2021, 11:01:15 am ---or Hiflofiltro TUV approved filters. 
--- End quote ---
Same, much cheaper than oem.

Gnasher:

--- Quote from: b1k3rdude on 24 October 2021, 11:13:42 am ---Same, much cheaper than oem.
--- End quote ---

Typically about 50% less, they're manufactured to the same or higher spec in performance, they do however tend to be less so in external finish, in that the paint in thinner and the seam bead suffers surface corrosion. They are cheaper as they make millions more ,they even manufacture OE filters for many other manufacturers to their finish spec.

I've fitted 1000's of Hiflofiltro filters over the years, personally I've never had an issue with them.     

fazerbcn:
I had mine for 20 years now, revs were oscillating at the very beginning, but a set of iridium plugs stabilised it perfectly, never suffered from leaking till now, when I cleaned it myself, and was more than gentle while adding oil, and also maybe not letting it drip off enough time, thus seeing red drops on the floor every now and then (specially the first week), I reckon that it may be fixed by opening it and cleaning the surplus oil that may be at the bottom of the filter, and cleaning also the bottom of the air filter box. It also goes elongating in time just by themselves...

I have done none of both things, and happy with it, it is also kind of funny, when I see a oil drop on the floor I like to have a look at the colour, blue=scottoiler, red=k&n, praying not to be black...

Appart from the oscillating, I would recommend the k&n, unless you love brake motor, I love the softness of stopping the throttle and letting the bike go, but if your riding is considering that engine brake to enter corners, you may be infuriating specially the first month... Or going out of the tarmac while adjusting the driving...

Hope this helps...

b1k3rdude:

--- Quote from: fazerbcn on 11 December 2021, 07:06:43 pm ---I reckon that it may be fixed by opening it and cleaning the surplus oil that may be at the bottom of the filter,
--- End quote ---
Cleaning a semi enclosed oil filter that is not designed for it is a non sequitur, that and cleaning will have zero effect on a physical defects.

The thread is about oil filters failing fatally, not leaking. I have no idea what context your coming from with regard to your oscillating revs, did you mean to post that here..?

midden:
I use K&n oil filters love the nut fitting and not had a problem

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version