Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:06 pm

Author Topic: FZ1 - Replaceing the rear and indicator bulbs w/LED:  (Read 1551 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
FZ1 - Replaceing the rear and indicator bulbs w/LED:
« on: 22 March 2021, 07:26:52 pm »
So today I went to go and replace said bulbs starting with the rear bulb, but had an issue right off the bat. When the brake is applied and then let go, the LED bulb stays on max brightness. I have the same bulb in my Bandit1250 and it works fine (half bright, full bright etc). So this then made me realise that the FZ1 might have an integrated (side stand, brake/indicator, starter switch relay unit?) like my bandit 1250 does (but the rear light dosent go through that on this bike).
  • If that isn't the case what reason would my 2007 FZ1 have for showing this weird behaviour with only LED bulbs..?
  • On a related note where is the indicator relay on the FZ1? is it separate like my old FZS or integrated like my bandit..?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 - Replaceing the rear and indicator bulbs w/LED:
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2021, 08:58:23 pm »
If you mean the flasher relay then it is under the pillion seat on the right hand (brake pedal) side.
Afraid I don't know how to help you with the brightness issue
If I had any advice I would just replace them with LED Indicators. I bought genuine Yamaha ones that are meant for the MT range. They were pricey but absolutely brilliant and still fit the design on the bike so look fairly standard

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2021, 09:16:26 pm »
I bought genuine Yamaha ones that are meant for the MT range. They were pricey but absolutely brilliant and still fit the design on the bike so look fairly standard.
Ah yes, but then wouldnt I need the indicator relay from the MT as well..?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2021, 09:59:40 pm »
I bought genuine Yamaha ones that are meant for the MT range. They were pricey but absolutely brilliant and still fit the design on the bike so look fairly standard.
Ah yes, but then wouldnt I need the indicator relay from the MT as well..?
No just a standard LED relay has worked for both different sets (Oxford and Yamaha) I've had on there 👍🏻

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2021, 09:07:35 am »
Retrofit LED bulbs are a very hit and miss affair, the market is awash with cheap (although not sold as such) units.  Firstly bikes and cars leaving the factory with LEDs as standard, the light units (as far as I can tell) are sealed you can't just change the diode.  The fact it's a diode i.e a flat chip these days, they're not the bulb type of the past.   

Each unit has its own microprocessor built in that run the diode/s and a motor for moving from low to high beam.  This is achieved by either moving the reflector or the diode board.   When a diode is running the processor is constantly monitoring and varying power to each chip, it's the processors where the issues lies,.  Cheap retrofit LEDs made to replicate a standard bulb fitting don't work well, supply too much (over bright/ burn out) flicking seen a lot with CANBUS systems or cars with bulbs detection, won't work or as in your case stay bright.  They're also polarity sensitive, high spec LED units for W21, P21 stop/tail bulbs cost up to 5x a standard bulb and 3x more than a cheap chinese version, which aren't polarity sensitive.     

Even high end spec H7, 11, 4s etc such as Phillips at over £130 for a pair of Gen2 H7s (getting cheaper all the time) have issues, I fitted them to my Merc  couple years ago, one flickered the other didn't and it was intermittent.  I complained and to their credit they designed a few inline units, the first didn't work the second did, which I now think they sell as a extra, so I was the test bed perhaps. 

I've heard of single H4 LED units by PIAA going for over £150 :eek Yamaha indicators cost over £60 (pair) for a full kit last time I fitted a set, cheap ones are £12 - 15. 

Yes it's possible to fit cheap LED's and get a result, often that isn't the case and you'll suffer any or all of the above and at anytime.  If you really must go LED, there are companies out there that supply complete LED headlight and tail light units, they're just not cheap.   

Later

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2021, 11:21:19 am »
I had problems fitting LED indicator bulbs to my Gen1. I was getting flickering at tick-over and the rear light would flash with the indicators on. The solution for me was to stop trying cheap Chinese LED bulbs from eBay and to buy some good quality ones. These are the ones I ended up with and they are great - very bright and no flickering at all.

BRIGHT AMBER LED INDICATOR BULB BA15S GLB382 – Classic Car LEDs Ltd

FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2021, 06:53:06 pm »
Ok so the indicator side of things isnt so much of an issue, is the wierd brake light behaviour I would like to find a fix or work around for.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2021, 09:25:20 pm »
Ok so the indicator side of things isnt so much of an issue, is the wierd brake light behaviour I would like to find a fix or work around for.

Again depends on what your willing to do. I just bought an Aftermarket L.E.D tail light. Super easy to install, exact same shape as original and it just has a plug that fits into the old light bulb socket... job done.
I'll take some photos tomorrow if you like and see if i can remember where it was from 🤔 I know it wasn't expensive either way. I even hooked up the built-in indicators too so currently when I indicate I have the half the tail light as well as the actual indicator flashing. Makes it super clear and obvious that I'm planning on turning

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2021, 09:42:55 pm »
I'll take some photos tomorrow if you like and see if i can remember where it was from 🤔 I know it wasn't expensive either way.
Ah yes please, I forgot about the LED units. I would be interested to see how bright it is, brake light off/on and indicators working.
Got a link to where to buy the one you have?
« Last Edit: 23 March 2021, 10:14:04 pm by b1k3rdude »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2021, 10:00:14 pm »
I'll take some photos tomorrow if you like and see if i can remember where it was from 🤔 I know it wasn't expensive either way.
Ah yes please, I forgot about the LED units. I would be interested to see how bright it is, brake light off/on and indicators working.
Got a link to where to buy the one you have?

I will get some pictures/videos tomorrow and send you them. I will have to look back through my receipts to see if I can find out where it was from.
I'm sure it was only about £50, I just made sure it was an E marked one to be technically legal on UK roads buy in reality its not the kind of thing that would ever be checked.
The indicators are great but you would have to have a work with your MOT place to see if they would pass them as they are a bit of a grey area. Mine pass as one side still stays red when I indicate and brake and the same time so it's clear I'm stopping. Some of the Chinese units alternate between red and orange which would be a fail here.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2021, 10:14:16 pm by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2021, 10:19:45 pm »
The indicators are great but you would have to have a work with your MOT place to see if they would pass them as they are a bit of a grey area. Mine pass as one side still stays red when I indicate and brake and the same time so it's clear I'm stopping. Some of the Chinese units alternate between red and orange which would be a fail here.
If they (assuming the MT indicators are LED) replace the existing indicators then there wont be an issue with the MOT.

Also when you said you replaced all the stock ones with MT, were you referring to these ones?
« Last Edit: 23 March 2021, 10:41:36 pm by b1k3rdude »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2021, 11:00:23 pm »
If they (assuming the MT indicators are LED) replace the existing indicators then there wont be an issue with the MOT.

Also when you said you replaced all the stock ones with MT, were you referring to these ones?

Yes LED indicators are fine, I was referring to the ones built into my taillight

The ones you linked are what I was after originally but couldn't find any new ones for sale so I went with these ones

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-Yamaha-Carbon-LED-Indicators-YME-W0789-20-YZF-R1-R6-R125-Flasher-/251249864286

I believe they are from the MT07 and pretty sure the R125
Either way they are genuine yamaha and look brilliant

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2021, 10:17:43 am »
I believe they are from the MT07 and pretty sure the R125
Ive seen these ebay also.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 March 2021, 12:00:14 pm »
Here's a few pics, I couldn't upload a video as the files were too big.
It's not a great advert for the tail light as that looks better/brighter in real life but you can see how good those indicators are at least