Date: 30-04-24  Time: 10:46 am

Author Topic: Starting problem  (Read 6991 times)

Lank

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 03 FZS1000, GSXR k4
    • View Profile
Starting problem
« on: 17 February 2015, 09:56:18 am »

When I hit the starter the bike just clicks. I replaced the battery and have checked the voltage so its not the battery.

I done some searching and the problem I have all point to battery, not in this case. I have sprayed the ignition and kill switch however there are no signs of corrosion on these. Fuses are all fine as well.

I tried bump starting the bike the other day but need to have another go (I didn't have the choke open  :o [size=78%]). [/size]

I have also noticed no noise when turning the key. I am sure I would here the exup and fuel pump prime but none of these are making a noise.

Not sure what else to check apart from the starter motor and main earth.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2015, 12:29:09 pm by Lank »

Lank

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 03 FZS1000, GSXR k4
    • View Profile
Re: Starting problem
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2015, 06:03:09 pm »
had another look tonight and the earth and other cables appear fine with no corrosion. Tried bumping again with no luck.

So I hooked up the jump leads to my GSXR and the starter now spins so I think whoop whoop battery somehow even though its brand new. However I hit the start and it wont catch, all I got was two rather loud backfires.

even more baffled now :(

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2015, 06:08:09 pm »
Charge the new battery fully (should read 12.7volts or higher at 100% charge) and try again.

My guess is the Gixxer battery isn't giving quite enough voltage to do the job.  Plugs might be wet, too.

Leszeks

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2015, 06:23:02 pm »
I've had similar problems and I've discovered it was a side stand switch fault. Check it,  clean it.
I hope it's go well.

Lank

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 03 FZS1000, GSXR k4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2015, 07:39:04 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Battery is charged already and has been left on trickle charge. Also had volt testers on and I am sure it was 13 volts but will test again.
Will need to make some time and pull the plugs to see if they are wet.

Need to clean the side stand up as its gunked up with lube. However I sprayed it up with WD40 to get ready to clean it, and now I have the 9k error on the rev counter which I read is overturn switch.

Not sure where the overturn switch is! Not mentioned as far as I can see in the haynes manual

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/611238/Yamaha-Fzs1000.html?page=19

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2015, 08:40:25 pm »
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=2380.0

If the above link works it should show you where the overturn sensor is.

g5guzzi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - cbf 1000fa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2015, 11:04:32 pm »
It could still be your battery. When my fazer battery failed I also had the fault code for the overturn switch show up. Thoroughly checked out the electrics and diagnosed a faulty battery. Just to make life interesting the replacement battery failed after two days with exactly the same symptoms. Got it tested & changed under warranty and no more problems.
malc

Lank

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 03 FZS1000, GSXR k4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2015, 08:08:15 am »
Thanks for the replies, I might try fitting the GSXR battery. Gave the overturn switch a few hits but it still shows the error.

Need to remove the plugs, what happens if they are wet? literally dry them and try again?

Lank

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 03 FZS1000, GSXR k4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2015, 12:50:49 pm »
got it started by jumping it. however after letting the engine run for over 20 minutes, i turned the engine off and then it would not start again, measured the batter and only 10.4 volts. I assume the rectifier has gone?

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2015, 05:41:20 pm »
Put the jump leads back on and fire it up again. remove jump leads and while the bike is running check the voltage across the battery. At tick over it should read approx 13.5v and if you rev it to approx 3500rpm it should rise to about 14v. If you get these readings then the reg/rect is working correctly and you have a duff battery
« Last Edit: 22 February 2015, 05:47:28 pm by nickodemon »
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

Lank

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 03 FZS1000, GSXR k4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2015, 12:30:21 pm »
Put the jump leads back on and fire it up again. remove jump leads and while the bike is running check the voltage across the battery. At tick over it should read approx 13.5v and if you rev it to approx 3500rpm it should rise to about 14v. If you get these readings then the reg/rect is working correctly and you have a duff battery

Thanks Nickodemon, I remember reading that before now. Ill jump start it again later and then measure it

Lank

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 03 FZS1000, GSXR k4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2015, 06:18:36 pm »
ok so battery was already charged, still clicking when trying to start.

hooked up to gsxr and jump started it.

2.5k revs and 11.97 volts, same on 1200 revs. so reg/rec has had it then :(

sirgalahad3

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - SR 500
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2015, 06:58:07 pm »
Maybe....but they are not know to go on the fazer.
Lift the tank and check the white plug with 3 pairs of white wires going into it located approx above gear pedal under tank. Any melting or burning there and that will be your problem. This is a know problem on the bike

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2015, 11:55:50 pm »
Maybe....but they are not know to go on the fazer.
Lift the tank and check the white plug with 3 pairs of white wires going into it located approx above gear pedal under tank. Any melting or burning there and that will be your problem. This is a know problem on the bike

+1 regarding the plug. As sirgalahad3 has stated the reg rectifiers are usually good. Check the plug under the left hand fairing infill panel as the block connector there is a well known corrosion issue and is a common problem regarding reg/rect problems. This is also where the reg /rect is located. I would think that is the problem. my bike has only done 11'000 miles and it is the only part of the wiring harness that is starting to corrode.  :\  I'm sure there is a link somewhere to sort the problem.
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

Lank

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 03 FZS1000, GSXR k4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2015, 09:14:58 am »
already checked the plug and its fine, no corrosion and no damage to wires or kinks in the wires.

Think ill see if I can cover the plugs for the future if they are prone to corrosion

nickpeh

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2015, 03:51:16 pm »
Probably removed the start switch assy, clean it and try. Sometimes it's the contact there too..
Nick Peh

Lank

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 03 FZS1000, GSXR k4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2015, 01:40:19 pm »
well after all that it was the battery! the new one had dropped a cell. Still would read 13.5 volts a few days after charging but wouldnt turn the bike