Date: 29-03-24  Time: 02:33 am

Author Topic: Perhaps a Silly Question on This Forum!  (Read 4035 times)

Slimted

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Perhaps a Silly Question on This Forum!
« on: 23 January 2012, 06:17:49 pm »
I have a really nice 99 FZS600 which I have loved for a few years now. I commute on it, track day it, and enjoy doing most of my own spannering on it (see FZS 600 forum).
At the weekend I saw a low mileage (3500) 2001 FZS1000 in mint condition and suddenly decided I needed all that extra power.

Would you recommend the trade up?
What do I need to look for when buying secondhand?
What will I miss about the 600?

Any thoughts appreciated.

SlimTed

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Perhaps a Silly Question on This Forum!
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2012, 06:26:25 pm »
hi, I did the same as you last year, also needing the extra power  :lol

Turns out, I didn't really need it, but I'm still happy with my decision.

All I would suggest is keep hold of your 600 too, I wish I had.

It's the same every time you trade up, you miss the old one because of all the things you could have done on it (like my old bike, I don't want to do wheelies etc to protect the bearings, chain - you know what I mean. wish I'd thrashed the 600 more :)

I asked the same question when I stepped up, what I remember:
check the exup, ask them about it, if they're good, they'll know what you're on about
that's about all I remember :)

I'm sure other will be along to be more use than me :)

Tom

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2012, 07:05:40 pm »
I moved from a 600 (Hornet) to a Gen 1 Fazer Thou. Never regretted it...some will say cos it was a Hornet!!!...More grunt when you need it and mild mannered when it needs to be. Two up is also easier on the Thou.
If you've found a good one I can't see you regretting it either.....good luck!

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2012, 07:31:12 pm »
The important thing is to be honest with yourself, what will the thou do for you? Will you have the chance to use the extra power, and how much have you modified the 600, because you'll probably want to spend as much on the thou, so take that into account.
If it really is a good deal, the only thing you'll miss are the lower running costs and the main difference will be that the thou is a bit heavier and a bit taller, but a lot faster!

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2012, 07:44:53 pm »
Same as dickturpin, only I traded up from a CBF600 to a Gen 1 with just over 5,000 on it. The best decision I ever made on a bike swap. At that mileage, the exup will be OK, but service it anyway, and do it every 5,000m to keep on top of it. From now on it's decisions, decisions and more decisions if you keep reading this forum, just deciding on your next mods. I'm turned 80 now, and have just Ivanised mine, and am now having a go at the suspension. Fantastic bike!

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2012, 07:37:53 am »
Will be a lot heavyer moving it around, cost more to run and will handle a fair bit diff. But I find I prefer a bike I have to man handle and I love the extra power. Test ride one first if you can and idealy get one with ivans and upgraded suspension. Oh Nd a recently serviced exup LOL

RedRag

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2012, 07:22:23 pm »
Good question Slim Ted.
I have just sold my fzs600 after 12 years of happy ownership. After all the reviews on Fazer 1000 v the newer FZ1 I decided on getting a gen 1. However, after a test ride on a 4500 mile 04 bike in v g c, I didn't really go wow and it didn't turn in very well . Not sure what I expected from a 7 year old bike but after looking at a few, ended up having a test ride on an 09 fz1 and was converted.
As stated above make sure you test ride and don't be in a hurry. Letting go a really nice fzr600 is hard make sure the replacement warrants the additional outlay v expectation or keep both if you can stretch the finances

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2012, 07:45:50 pm »
i went for a thou as i preffered the look of the thou over the 600,i think the engine looks better,also i am going from a vfr750 so i did not want to go to a smaller engined bike with less torque,plus i miss a big engined bike,i do miss my blackbird but that is another story lol

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2012, 08:38:28 pm »
I moved up from the 600, but I had a Bandit 12 before that. The 600 was as fast as the Bandit but felt gutless because it only had half the torque. I went back to a litre bike to get the torque back.
The 600 does nearly everything you need on the roads but it has to be pinned to do so.
The early 1000 churns out the full power of the 600 at 6000rpm, with another 5000rpm to go.

Moving to a Gen1 will mean:
50% more power
30% more petrol
20Kg heavier & taller / higher CoG, so doesnt change direction well in standard setup. Extra budgeting needed for fixing suspension.
3 insurance groups higher & more road tax

There is also the possibility that you might not gel with it because (paradoxically) it is too efficient...and therefore rides may not be as memorable as something you have to work hard.

A modified Gen 1 with fixed suspension and Ivans is hard to beat, however...

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2012, 12:12:23 am »
Thought I'd put my two penn'th in on this, I traded my CBR600 in for my Gen 1, i was going for the 600 (fazer) as I found the CBR to extreme for my bulky frame. Then i had a go on a mates 1000 and it was a revelation, like sitting on a very fast sofa, big, comfy and (even) in standard form handled nearly as well as the CBR. Now I've got it, I have no need for another bike (except for my supermoto, but thats a different story). I guess it boils down to how you ride, if you like to thrash the nuts off your bike on a good ride out, then stick with the 600, but if you want a slightly more relaxed (grunty) ride, get the 1000. I've only had mine since September last year, so haven't yet explored the limits of it to the full extent (roll on summer), but i know that i can honestly say i won't be changing my 1000 for a long while :)

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 January 2012, 08:53:30 am »
For what it's worth I joined the Fazer fold after years of TDM ownership.

I test rode a '08 600 and the '54 thou that I later bought. I had no prevoius experience of Fazers. The 600 was smaller, lighter and turned easier but you had to wind it up to get it moving. For me the thou was a no brainer for the size and torque alone.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2012, 01:05:28 pm »
I had the Gen 1 Fazer1000 a couple of years back, loved it to bits, Mike Ivanised it, I thrashed it (when & wherever I could) and decided that going everywhere easily in trebble figures had to stop. It was also one of the only bikes I've had that I could ride all day and not ache! However I now have A 1999 FZS600 and find I can use all the power much more easily, but not be going as mentally fast as I did on the thou. As mentioned before, keep the exup valves clean, lubed and serviced and as long as you've got plenty of self control with your right wrist, enjoy!!!!  :rollin

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2012, 09:19:45 pm »
I have both gen 1 600 and 1000's  I use the bigger bike mainly for 2 up work as I find it to much of a handfull for every day use, The 600 is far more chuckable !