Date: 24-04-24  Time: 04:16 am

Author Topic: Exup Valve Thanks  (Read 1002 times)

Vladigood

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exup Valve Thanks
« on: 15 August 2014, 01:18:04 pm »
Hi, This is a general message to all involved with this website and those that take time to help others.

Had a Gen 1 1000 for about 6 months, very pleased with it as upgraded from SV650 due to the missus loving coming out with me. Been using it all weathers for commute to work, usual story with the rev counter telling me I have an exup problem. Using this site stripped down the valve and lubricated it with copper slip, did not fix it. Then read more from helpful posts and took the motor off as it didn't move. Assumed it was siezed, moved it by hand then reconnected just the electric cable. Turned ignition on and it moved ...... wtf. Put it all back together, took for a spin. Wow, it works a treat. like a new bike with more horsepower, better starting, better burble from the exhaust and more low down torque. Have a feeling it hasn't been working right from the beggining. Don't know what I done to fix it?

So once again thanks to those that contribute.

As an aside: Can sit in the house in the same room as wife and we don't talk, got intercom for ride outs ..... we don't stop talking. Anyone else do this?

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Re: Exup Valve Thanks
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2014, 01:41:20 pm »
I had the same issue with mine, the valve & cables were not seized but greased them anyway and worked fine again for about 2 weeks. Then the needle hit the dreaded 7RPM and I thought here we go again. We greased, oiled and sprayed the exup motor as this was the only thing we hadn't touched and worked again for about another 2 weeks. I continued to spray and oil the motor until I got fed up and replaced the motor and now (touch wood) everything is working as it should.....The exup motors are very expensive and even 2nd hand ones are too. I eventually found a 2nd hand one for £30 but later found when fitting it was from a gen2 (although the breaker said it was a off a 2004 model).....a bit of dremel work to the brackets to make it fit, back on the dyno to double check and every thing ok.

The Gen2 exup motors are cheaper than the Gen1 but they are exactly the same motor except the brackets (checked with Yamaha UK to confirm), so if this continues to you it may be an idea to replace it.....good luck.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Exup Valve Thanks
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2014, 01:55:49 pm »
Good tip there 3B, I'd never thought of that!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!