Date: 06-05-24  Time: 15:13 pm

Author Topic: Ex-Up Valve & 7k Rev Counter Error Message  (Read 5604 times)

Fuzzygoth

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Ex-Up Valve & 7k Rev Counter Error Message
« on: 12 January 2012, 04:15:43 pm »
I've recently serviced my ex-up valve after being told how difficult it was (and
it turns out that it wasn't that difficult at all (thanks to a link from on here)) but
I am still getting the 7k error which i am assuming that means that the servo
motor is knackered (its been running for a while with this error). If it is the servo
how expensive is a replacement and is it difficult to fit? as in dismantling half the
bike as opposed to removing the tank, getting filthy an crawling around on the
ground to reach parts? If its a huge job I might just throw it in the garage and
let them do it but if its not rocket science i might try it myself.

Cheers Guys
Fuzzy
Fuzzy
"High spirits are no substitute for 800 rounds per minute"

bash62

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Ex-Up Valve & 7k Rev Counter Error Message
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2012, 04:56:29 pm »
did u adjust the cables cos if too tight or lose can sometimes still show code
cheers
bash

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2012, 05:04:06 pm »
Servo motor failure is rare so don't go down that route just yet.  :) If it does require replacement, it lives on top of the motor towards the front left side, just inboard from the frame.  A bit fiddly to get at but not a major task.

Overly-tight or incorrectly fitted cables will cause 7k error codes even if the valve itself is fine.  I've known a few where the cables have been installed the wrong way round, too.

Another possible cause is the valve binding when the end plate is tightened up.  This happens because the valve spindles are very slightly out of line.  It doesn't take much resistance on the cables for the servo motor to stop working ... it does this to protect itself from burning out.

With the cables and pulley removed, can you flip-flop the valve easily using just thumb and forefinger on the spindle?  If you have to apply any effort to rotate the valve, you'll need to dismantle it again to determine why.

Misaligned spindles can be straightened with care.  Not a job for the ham-fisted home mechanic, though. ;)

Fuzzygoth

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2012, 05:40:41 pm »
Cool, well the cables where stupidly loose when I took it to bits, I tightened them up
and copper greased the assembly. Tightened the cable up till there was no play and
then slackened them off so there was a little play in the cables but its still giving me
the error. The plate the cable go around wasn't moving at all when i started the engine
and stopped it to line them up to put the allen key in to secure it. I did remove the
pully & cable but didn't try rotating the valve by hand to see if it would move easily
but i know with the pully on and the cables as loose as they were I couldn't rotate
the valve by hand.

I might take it to buts again tomorrow and see if the spindle will turn by hand or if
its seized. It would be nice if i could sort it myself and save my self the £100 to £200
quid in labour cost that I don't have but I am not going to risk shafting it as Hurricane
Bawbag blew my Bulldog over so thats currently off the road too :(

Cheers Guys
Fuzzy

Fuzzygoth

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2012, 05:43:04 pm »
Bash62: Its hard to Judge I tightened them up until there was no play and then loosened them
off one half turn, but its possible they might have been out I'll have another look tomorrow :)
Fuzzy

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2012, 06:24:52 pm »
You should have 1.5mm freeplay in the cables.  Push the cable inner up/down between pulley end and the cable holder to check the slack.  Better slightly loose than too tight.

You won't be able to rotate the valve easily with pulley and cables attached because you'll also be trying to move the servo motor itself.

To set the pulley position and cable slack correctly follow this sequence.

Step 1.  With ignition OFF, turn the pulley fully clockwise with an 8mm spanner on the pulley bolt.  The fork should be pointing to around 2 o'clock or thereabouts.

Step 2.  Turn the ignition ON.  The valve will reset to the 'parked' position.  Turn the ignition OFF again and look where the fork is relative to the alignment hole in the end plate.

If necessary, slacken one or other of the cables to enable you to align the fork over the hole.  Pin the pulley in place and set the correct amount of slack on each cable.

Repeat the first two steps again to confirm the alignment and correct slack.

Fuzzygoth

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2012, 09:09:51 pm »
Hmm it would appear I spoke to soon, on my short ride down to the gym i never
once got the exup error code, so I would assume the work this afternoon fixed it
but I will keep my eyes open just in case and thanks for all the info and advice
guys esspecially falcon269 it was very handy and informative :)

*woot* working bike! just need to sort my alarm now :)

Fuzzy
Fuzzy

bash62

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2012, 03:58:19 pm »
falcon is the man when it comes to these awesome bikes .knows them inside out
cheers
bash

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2012, 04:55:59 pm »
There's plenty of very knowledgeable and experienced mechanics around here. 

I just type faster :lol

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2012, 08:26:06 pm »
Yeabut, the important thing about Mike is he knows them the right way round too, exactly how they should be, as well as many improvements! I blew the chance of meeting him by doing my own Ivanising, because I was too impatient!