Date: 17-05-24  Time: 08:41 am

Author Topic: Quick Shifters  (Read 5713 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Shifters
« Reply #25 on: 27 March 2014, 11:26:44 am »

This was very nearly me (eh Dek ;) )

Foccin brilliant 8)

http://youtu.be/aRgu4BbTJLs
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #26 on: 27 March 2014, 12:25:15 pm »
Besides this is usually discouraged (handbags at the ready) as any gear change can cause the gear teeth to misalign which is far more likely to happen the more gears you shift at once.

Citation needed! :)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 March 2014, 01:31:35 pm »
If you block shifted down with a quick shifter wouldn't that then require a slipper clutch?
Which my model doesn't have.

Hmm... interesting one. I guess you are referring to how when people usually block downshift, they keep the clutch in. With a quick shifter I would imagine it would be letting the clutch out on every change
A quickshifter won't do anything with the clutch.  I'm not sure how they work on downshifts, but on upshifts it will kill the ignition for just long enough to take the load off the box and switch gears.  Same as rolling off the throttle, just quicker.

A fundamental misunderstanding of the tech from me there :P

Besides this is usually discouraged (handbags at the ready) as any gear change can cause the gear teeth to misalign which is far more likely to happen the more gears you shift at once.

Citation needed! :)

Probably, but I can't find anything official :( I've experienced the issue and I remember my instructor telling me about it when I first started learning (he was riding a Divi 600 I believe, but I don't believe he was referring to his bike specifically). I imagine it is more of an issue on old and worn parts where tolerances aren't as great as when they left the factory. My 600 has a hissy fit when block changing but that's not surprising considerings its god-awful state :P

The theory behind it is due to the shifts never being perfect (granted this could be dealing with tolerances in the micrometre range) the teeth can be slightly out of alignment - on a single change this isn't something to be overly worried about as they will re-align themselves when engaged. By skipping through multiple gears, without releasing the clutch between, this misalignment is compounded to the point that the teeth won't mesh properly. As I said, this is the theory and may have been eradicated on newer bikes - its just not something I can find proper technical documentation on from a 10 min google search

In my head it makes sense, so I just avoid doing it

Hamos

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 March 2014, 02:11:08 pm »
Get one, they are ace.  You can still use the clutch for around town, but any opportunity to pin the throttle, then you can just tap away.  Lots of fun.

Hamos

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 March 2014, 02:12:35 pm »
Highly rated by me too. Been on my FZ1 7 years now & there's one on my soon to be s1000r. Full throttle upshifts are great. No needing to shutoff to unload the gearbox, just open that throttle & hang on.
The best mod for fun factor ever. Fact!  8)

Hey Dek hope you are doing well.  I would love to hear your opinions on the S1000r when you get it, thinking of one of those for next year.

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 27 March 2014, 09:50:42 pm »
Hi bud, doing great thanks, hopefully you too.
Yeah, can't wait for 20th May when I collect it. I'm on my annual euro tour end of June so it will get well tested then.  8)
Those lucky enough to have theirs already are giving glowing reports. The only niggles so far are the levers & mirrors otherwise outstanding.