Date: 27-04-24  Time: 12:02 pm

Author Topic: Fazer a cracking bike  (Read 5460 times)

Kentish

• Club Racer
  • I am the man
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - fazer
    • View Profile
Fazer a cracking bike
« on: 23 February 2014, 05:22:39 pm »
I went to test ride a new NC750 which I have been tempted by. Granted its only a twin so different from a fazer. I couldn't believe how boring it was to ride. My fazer is a 2003 and I could by the NC no problem but I must say these fazers are a cracking bike. I couldn't ride a new NC750 instead of a Fazer. Ok they might be better on fuel and newer but the fazer would leave it standing. The fazer is a much better machine.....In many ways...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer a cracking bike
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2014, 06:35:29 pm »
This is what i need i reckon.....a good ride on some other bikes to show me how good the fazer is.

But im scared ill like one and do something stupid. :)

On the basis that i havent had many issues keeping with a multitude of other bikes i think the 600 fazer is all anyone needs in the real world.

Isnt stopping me wanting a shot on an old 954 fireblade though. 8)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2014, 07:43:46 pm »
On the basis that i havent had many issues keeping with a multitude of other bikes i think the 600 fazer is all anyone needs in the real world
It's what I always say.  I've always been a person that never buys the same thing twice, cars, bikes, anything...... That is unless it's so good that it deserves it.

I've now had 3 fazer 600's!!!
And I've got an fz1 Fazer.

I only moved on to a thundercat because I bought some horrible mistakes last year, and regretted not buying another fazer.

I had a tdm 850 (yawn), a bandit 600 (looked nice but was a thirsty slug), sv650 (slow, vibey), tiger 1050 (old man's bike).
On each one of those bikes there was something missing. The fazer just ticks ALL the boxes, not just most of them!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2014, 08:11:22 pm »
But how do you compare the T'cat to the fazer?
I've had 2 of each and do prefer the T'cat's better handling and slighter better performance!
Some say...

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2014, 08:27:32 pm »
But how do you compare the T'cat to the fazer?
I've had 2 of each and do prefer the T'cat's better handling and slighter better performance!
Gotta admit, the more time I spend with the TC, the better it gets! :D

It's more fun on the twisties than the fazer, but bottom end of the revs is slightly fluffy in comparison, Fazer has better manners in town.
The TC suspension is far superior though, edged the tyres with ease, and they're BT021 which I really don't like!
I had to flip the bars over to make her more comfy, as I'm an old git with a glass spine and knackered wrists! (I was going to do a Renthal conversion, but no need now)
53mpg, about the same as the fazer too. It's about as close to a Fazer as it gets without it being a Fazer.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2014, 08:36:25 pm »
I put a Hagon rear shock on mine which is a massive improvement over standard, I got the shock in the loft atm for when I get another T'cat, but I've just ordered a Nitron for the fazer and heard that you can send it back and they rebuild it for different bikes for about £100, when I confirm this I'll be putting the Hagon up for sale!
Some say...

thunderpantz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2014, 08:36:56 pm »
I've only ever ridden an ER-6N but the fazer is far more fun. I love it :)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2014, 08:53:56 pm »
I put a Hagon rear shock on mine which is a massive improvement over standard, I got the shock in the loft atm for when I get another T'cat, but I've just ordered a Nitron for the fazer and heard that you can send it back and they rebuild it for different bikes for about £100, when I confirm this I'll be putting the Hagon up for sale!
Let me know when your letting it go buddy, I might be interested!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2014, 08:57:14 pm »
Will do
Some say...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2014, 09:05:01 pm »

Thing is the fazer is the only bike ive ever had.....now i like to listen to folks in the know so that means i would regret selling my fazer i know it...so i need a bigger shed.

Now i did have my heart set on a gen 2 thou but they're still too pricey & the bikes are too similar to keep both but if i was to squeeze another bike in the shed...lets say an old fireblade & keep my 600 then i can once and for all take my time deciding whether to get rid the 6 or keep it.

Oh i dunno.... I still want a gen 2 thou......foc! :'(

So i best get saving some more.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2014, 10:08:29 pm »
Why a gen 2? (is that the first fuel injection?)
If so the gen1 carb has more spm's
(smiles per mile!)
Some say...

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2014, 10:13:24 pm »
(smiles per mile!)
+1 on the gen 1 being more bang for your buck. The gen 2 is a bit of an acquired taste, and more expensive to do everything to. :'(

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2014, 10:19:02 pm »
Always wondered...................Why is the Boxeye considered to be better than the early carb Foxeye????????

I keep looking at the Foxeye (nice blue one up in the for sale section) for the looks and extra fuel capacity! Would the bike ride the same??

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2014, 10:19:55 pm »
I'm on my 2nd Fazer, and rode an SV650 inbetween, which I really didn't like.

I like the idea of either a Street Triple, or some kind of Buell though...

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 February 2014, 10:46:41 pm »
Always wondered...................Why is the Boxeye considered to be better than the early carb Foxeye????????

I keep looking at the Foxeye (nice blue one up in the for sale section) for the looks and extra fuel capacity! Would the bike ride the same??
They're not- we're (although off topic and wrong section) talking about the gen1 vs gen2 1000cc fazers.
Boxeye vs foxeye 600 is the same mechanical apart from fairing shape (obviously) and other pretty my nor details which were progression upgrades like tank size.
Some say...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 February 2014, 10:55:30 pm »
(smiles per mile!)

I like the thought of fuel injection, the sealed system, no carb balancing, less issues after winter storage since im a fair weather guy.

Plus i like that the gen2 is sports orientated as i dont tour or carry pillions....it is closer to a sports bike.

& they are of course newer with more modern technology.

But gotta be honest im not too keen on the gen 2 looks.

Fazer 8 somehow looks better than the thou imo although how that could be im not sure as i thought they were almost the same apart from engine size, maybe i've just seen better colour schemes on the 8 or somethin...but with it being a slow seller then future parts is a small issue.

But ye the old fazer 6 is good, just a bit old & i suppose mine lost its appeal after being crashed as it is a bit scabby round the edges....but as a package it is great.

I wanna wait see after ive been out on it again this summer, it's always the same...always want something better when im not riding but then i get back on the saddle & i fall back in love with it.....the difference between looking at bikes & riding them. :)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 February 2014, 11:13:34 pm »
It's not only that noggy,  vast majority of first gen fuel injection (any make/model bike)are shite in comparison to the carb models they replaced (there are exceptions) it's taken a fare few years to get the fueling right on injection bikes.
Some say...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2014, 11:30:39 pm »
It's not only that noggy,  vast majority of first gen fuel injection (any make/model bike)are shite in comparison to the carb models they replaced (there are exceptions) it's taken a fare few years to get the fueling right on injection bikes.

Ye good point punk coz it would only be one of the first i could afford anyway.

Ill hold out a little longer i reckon...once im on the road then i wont be looking at the bike with it's uglyness, i'll put a paper bag over its head....always works with the ladies :b

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 February 2014, 01:12:19 am »
I have a similar feeling to you noggy - only bikes I've ridden have been the Fazers. Granted, I did my test on a GS500, BUT that was a while ago and its very hard to compare since at the time you aren't thinking about how the bikes feels - you're trying to ride the bugger regardless.

Loads of different things I would like to try, but the Fazer is staying based on everything I hear. Very glad I bought my Gen 1 thou, best vehicle I've owned. My cage comes second but is in need of some TLC :(

As for gen 1 vs gen 2 1000's - I agree with what you said about the looks, some Gen 2's just don't look right to me :\

Kentish

• Club Racer
  • I am the man
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 February 2014, 01:45:06 am »
I had the FZ6 05 didn't like it. Engine to revy no midrange and I didn't like the front fairing and headlight style. Carbs get me excited man. They feel a lot more raw.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 February 2014, 06:46:59 am »
I don't know whether to be pleased or disappointed after reading this thread.
The only big bikes I've ever rode were an ER-5 in a car park on an 'introduction to big bikes' day, a Bandit S during my DA, a GS500 after the test, and of course my Fazer.
Now I was never planning to keep the Fazer, I was going to try out a few different mid range bikes (ER-6, Hornet, Speed Four, Street triple, SV650 etc.) over the next few years and was kind of looking forward to that, but it looks like I've started of with the best!  :D
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 February 2014, 10:29:05 am »
I know I'm about to get shot down here - but it all depends on what you want from a bike. If I were commuting through town on a daily basis, then something like a Fazer would be perfect.

However, most of my riding is one up, about a 50% split between fun riding and motorway commuting, and as such a sports bike with a decent fairing suited me a lot better (as does the riding position) - so I've gone back to a ZX9R, and not regretted it at all.
It's faster, handles and brakes better, I find it a lot more comfy and its got infinitely better weather protection. Only areas the FZS 600 beats it on really is that the rear seat is comfier for passengers (although there's more space and legroom on the 9) and the mpg/tank range is a little better on the Fazer - but not massively so (particularly on long journeys where the Ninja is actually better at cruising speeds).

I really don't understand you guys that can ride only one bike and proclaim it the best bike in the world - sure they're good bikes, but they are ultimately budget bikes, and there's a lot of other bikes out there that are better in many, many ways while only having a few sacrifices!

Just my two cents!

Noggy, if you're only riding one up and mostly for fun then try a blade - I'm pretty certain you'll find in every possible area it'll kick the FZS's ass. Personal preference for me would be a 954, but that's because they're within my budget - any of the blades are fantastic bikes!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 February 2014, 10:43:41 am »

Joe you Devil, :evil :evil :evil

I've almost saved enough for one. 8)

I'll have another season on the noggyfighter & see how i feel after that i reckon.it's still a good bike really.....nit sure id enjoy being a lurker but hey i can always go on Christo's whatever else you got thread :)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 February 2014, 10:53:29 am »

I'll have another season on the noggyfighter & see how i feel after that i reckon.it's still a good bike really.....nit sure id enjoy being a lurker but hey i can always go on Christo's whatever else you got thread :)

For sure the Fazers a good bike, but personally when I ride I want something that excites me, and the Fazer just isn't powerful enough to do that! Not that I'm an adrenaline junky at all  :lol
What Blade are you thinking of going for?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 February 2014, 11:21:17 am »

For sure the Fazers a good bike, but personally when I ride I want something that excites me, and the Fazer just isn't powerful enough to do that! Not that I'm an adrenaline junky at all  :lol
What Blade are you thinking of going for?

954 seems refuted as the best so ideally id have one o them but i prefer the looks of the 918 & it is more in my budget, it looks much more retro which i like but i'd be staying with carbs with an old one.918 is supposedly comfier too which is good since im 6 foot.

My best plan seems to be to keep my fazer & have a blade....if i find in time that i prefer the fazer then i can go back to it & easily sell the blade on but prices are so low for old 600 fazers that it barely seems worthwhile trying to sell it.i know my old man would appreciate a spare bike for when he comes visiting me in Wales, show him some of those nice mid wales twisties. 8)

One more point though which is important.....well to some anyway.....the fazer is always the underdog & you'll never be embarrassed on it....i mean so what if a brand new GSXR 1000 smokes you....it should....but the fazer can still keep with allot of sportsbikes on the roads, especially if ridden by posers which is a good feeling on a budget bike.......on a fireblade or an R1 then you are expected to perform & will be the benchmark for Mr pub bloke saying "oh ye i kept up with a fireblade today" so the pressure is on.

It's tricky because i was thinking of a new rear shock & uprating the front springs & yes i think the fazer will then be smoking hot but i can get an old fireblade that is smoking hot outta the box  for 2k & pribably sell it 2 years later for 2k.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2014, 12:24:31 pm by noggythenog »