Date: 19-05-24  Time: 04:00 am

Author Topic: Am I going to melt my engine?  (Read 873 times)

Tiercel

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Am I going to melt my engine?
« on: 08 December 2016, 08:02:55 pm »
So because Im fed up of my stock exhaust, and it has a massive dirty great big dent in it, I bought this: http://www.pipewerx.com/yamaha-fzs-600-fazer-98-03-hawk-powder-black-round-gp-race-exhaust.html

Housemate fellow biker is convinced that:

a) Im a hooligan and going to deafen everyone in the world (he says with his de-catted straight through BMW R1200  :rollin )
b) its going to cause serious fuelling issues and make the bike run so lean that it melts the pistons or something

So my question to you FOCers is am I going to potato the engine? If so what do I need to do to prevent said potato-ing of the engine. Its my understanding that Fazers tend to run hella rich as standard, do I really need to get my carbs re-jetted because that sounds like a lot of hassle and expense.

As far as I know the bike engine/carbs are totally standard. Only thing in the system thats not standard is the K&N "high flow" air filter, and soon to be this exhaust.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Am I going to melt my engine?
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2016, 08:18:44 pm »
Looks the same as my SP Engineering Moto GP end can.
These bikes don't need re-jetting, i tried it, and it simply didn't like it, so i went back to normal and everything ran good again.
I would recommend a carb balance though, but if you're thinking of changing the air filter make sure you fit it before balancing the carbs so you get a correct reading.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

daviee

« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2016, 08:20:37 pm »
i have a k&n and scorpion on mine it runs perfect nothing to worry about 

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2016, 08:51:53 pm »
I also have k&n and scorpion. It makes me smile.
You won't damage your engine although you may lose some performance and smooth running.

you will damage an engine if you run it with NO exhaust. But that's only because you are thermal shocking/cycling the hot engine valves as you expose them to cold air. (as I understand it)

-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-