Date: 28-04-24  Time: 02:41 am

Author Topic: custom ear plugs  (Read 8982 times)

lincs1963

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
custom ear plugs
« on: 11 October 2013, 05:35:00 pm »
Dunno if this has been done before but here goes anyway.
I find the little foam earplugs uncomfortable after a time and fancied some of those custom fitted jobs. How f*%$ing much? Right, what about diy ones? Little kit, enough to make one pair, about a tenner. What if I balls it up? Did some research and bought some silicone putty from eblag. Got enought to make a set for me and a set for both my son and daughter, and I have enough left to make two or three more pairs. The cost of this, about £6! Bargain. For the record they are the most comfortable ear plugs I have ever had.
Took about 5 minutes and was a piece of cake to do. Highly recommended.
Cheers all, Neil

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: custom ear plugs
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2013, 06:17:51 pm »
nice one tidy, ps did you ever work on blue peter. :lol
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

lincs1963

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2013, 06:50:56 pm »
get down  :lol

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2013, 07:00:02 pm »
I made a set of the DIY ones up a while back - with some earphones pushed into them before they set so i can hear the phone/gps. worked a treat :)

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2013, 07:01:52 pm »
 :useless

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2013, 08:05:15 pm »
Im listening  :D

I too am looking into the mold your own, and was about to buy the proper mold your own could you post up a link to the one you brought.
What about the db rating as the foam plugs are rated and you know that you are getting protection and so is the proper £10 one set ones, so what about the db reduction of the cheep putty. Also is the putty slightly tacky in anyway and going to pick up crap. Or is it just the exact same stuff as the proper 1 set kit.
I have great problems with foam ones as I have akward ear cannals and as soon as the helmet goes on they get dragged out unless I cut them down. Because of my stupid cannals wax can be a problem and stuffing foam plugs down is not good for me
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Loz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 918 Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2013, 08:38:29 pm »
Because of my stupid cannals wax can be a problem and stuffing foam plugs down is not good for me
To be honest if this is the case you shouldnt even consider using the diy kit, you need someone to check where the wax is in your ear before you start pushing it further down with mould material. I work within the audiology industry so i am not just scare mongering, if when you remove the mould after setting you leave any behind the resulting possible infection could be bloody painful and moulds should not really be taken without an otoblock (barrier between the tympanic membrane and the material).
I do know that lots of people do this successfully, but just be aware that it isnt risk free, i know the custom made ones are expensive but thats because they are made in a non alergenic material and are filtered to give you protection at the frequencies you need it at a level not to cut you off from the outside enviroment.

Leacture over.... :rolleyes :)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2013, 08:39:30 pm »
I got a set of the diy silicone plugs, and they're ok, feels a bit odd at first though. Stops nearly as much noise as the foam plugs, but my ears don't get sore.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2013, 10:18:28 pm »
Dont stop I am very interested in what you are saying. One canal is bent and they are both not the biggest so that the normal amount of wax can be an issue. I thought the whole point of the mold plugs is that it dosent go down the canal but more like caps the enterance.
I have also looked in to the Docs pro plugs non vented as they do not go down. http://www.earplugshop.com/docs-progplugs-clear-vented-ear-plugs.html and then got side tracked to the mold your own which you have now put me off

lincs1963

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2013, 10:42:52 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321204029546?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
This is the one I bought. My mate has just used a 'proper' ear plug kit and he said that the stuff is identical. It is not tacky or anything, once it is dry (2 minutes) it is sealed. Dead easy to use and washable.

Just to add, 1/2 a teaspoon of each mixed together does both ears. (well it did mine) It seems to me to be better than the foam plugs for reducing noise, maybe because it is a better fit?
They will get a proper test tomorrow, I am shooting in the morning.
« Last Edit: 11 October 2013, 10:46:48 pm by lincs1963 »

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2013, 12:13:33 am »
I had this kit:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proguard-MYO-Mould-custom-earplugs/dp/B006ZLXQ72/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_y

looks much the same as the link above, only more expensive  :o

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2013, 09:13:32 am »
I had this kit:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proguard-MYO-Mould-custom-earplugs/dp/B006ZLXQ72/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_y

looks much the same as the link above, only more expensive  :o

just looked at these and noticed the  "windjammer" anyone used one ?
One, is never going to be enough.....

Loz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 918 Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2013, 07:24:37 pm »
Dont stop I am very interested in what you are saying. One canal is bent and they are both not the biggest so that the normal amount of wax can be an issue. I thought the whole point of the mold plugs is that it dosent go down the canal but more like caps the enterance.
I have also looked in to the Docs pro plugs non vented as they do not go down. http://www.earplugshop.com/docs-progplugs-clear-vented-ear-plugs.html and then got side tracked to the mold your own which you have now put me off

One of the problems with the diy moulded ones is that the material does shrink over time, usually starts around 6 weeks, you can just mould them as a stop but then that will block your ear canal completely, again if you suffer from wax, not a good idea.
The Doc plugs are designed for swimming, yes they are vented which is better than blocking completely but then you have no noise protection as such.
I dont usually get involved in these threads on forums as its such a hornets nest of opinions  :rolleyes
i have very narrow ear canals too and usually wear the Alpine motor safe plugs, will usually cost you around 20-25 quid from most hearing aid shops or on the internet ( sorry no good at putting links on lol) but at least they are filtered for the right protection and you can rinse them clean.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 October 2013, 07:26:33 pm »
Personally I've had no issues with shrinkage.

Wow that sounds dodgy!
Some say...

Loz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 918 Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2013, 07:37:29 pm »
Personally I've had no issues with shrinkage.

Wow that sounds dodgy!
Well dodgy, its the cold apparently lol,
 to be honest the shrinkage part is mainly relevant to hearing aids, we use this material to take a mould of the ear and make a hearing from it which has to be a really snug fit

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 October 2013, 09:42:49 pm »
The Doc plugs are designed for swimming, yes they are vented which is better than blocking completely
Why so -- as foam plugs are not vented. I was looking at getting the non vented doc plugs. I dont have a problem with wax as such is just that I dond want to make things wors by stuffing --stuff down which is why I thought the mould your own would be good as im not going to ram it down but more like fill the top "cap it "

lincs1963

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2013, 11:07:57 am »
I wore my 'home mades' from 11:00 until 17:00 yesterday and was in the very close vicinity as 1500 shotgun cartridges were converted into scrap. Very comfy, no problems with noise reduction, very happy. I would recommend these to anyone. :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 October 2013, 05:22:38 pm »
Ok Lincs 1963 I got the same putty as you and set about making my own ------ still no good for me.
When it was still wet and "putty like" it was great (wot cant ere you) I let it set for 30 mins just to be sure and poped them out, left them to cure longer 2 hours and put back in and they just dont cut out enough sound - hardly any, if I just press on them a little then that is perfect and how they need to be and is how they were when wet. I did do them with my mouth slightly open with me teath clamped on a stabilo chisle point highlighter pen (a green one) bout the size of a winston churchill cigar. I read that this was the best way as it slightly opened the ear canal. I tried my helmet on hoping that it would press on them but it didnt help.
Can anyone verify if the proper earplug kit results in a softer finished plug as mine are bendy but not super soft. Or can anyone tell me if the  Macks Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs are sticky and liable to catch fluff and stuff.
My stupid ears are doing my head in   

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 October 2013, 12:11:22 am »
[size=78%]just looked at these and noticed the  "windjammer" anyone used one ?[/size]

I bought one a few years back, it reduced wind noise quite a bit but I found that as you move your head around it slowly came off the bottom of my helmet.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 October 2013, 08:03:08 am »
The neoprene thing that fits on the bottom of your helmet around you neck?
Bought one about 10 years ago and fitted it. It massively reduced wind noise, but at anything over 30 it came off in less than a minute then turned into a parachute attached to my throat! I took it back and got my money back the same day I bought it. The salesman didn't argue, he kind if knew it was coming back when he sold it to me.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 October 2013, 09:39:50 am »

turned into a parachute attached to my throat!
That is a very good review.
Im gonna have another go as pictures I have seen show the ear to have a much bigger visable plug than what I ended up with. So im going to use more putty, its not going in more but just thicker so so it finnishes flush with my ear parts and not below- hopfully my helmet will push onto it a little that way.
« Last Edit: 31 October 2013, 09:52:33 am by fazersharp »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #21 on: 31 October 2013, 11:56:38 am »
[size=78%]just looked at these and noticed the  "windjammer" anyone used one ?[/size]

I bought one a few years back, it reduced wind noise quite a bit but I found that as you move your head around it slowly came off the bottom of my helmet.

I bought the Shoei Whisper Curtain and Chin Shield last year although I can't say I noticed much difference in the noise level, however they do keep out the draughts in cold weather.