Date: 18-05-24  Time: 17:45 pm

Author Topic: Linkage Bloody Bearings  (Read 1069 times)

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Linkage Bloody Bearings
« on: 13 October 2012, 03:18:43 pm »
 I've just come back for my garage after another exasperating attempt to do something about the play in my linkage bearings. Like most other people here I'm ok about having a few millimeters of play when I lift up the rear wheel, but mine had got decidedly worse than that, so I bought a set of new needle races and seals and replaced the lot (and swing arm bearings) That was last week and to my annoyance after I 'd torqued everything up the play was no different at all (i tried torqueing up with machine on centrestand and on sidestand too)
 Just now I fitted another linkage complete with bearings that I got off ebay for £30 (from a machine that was 'low mileage') and it's got slightly less play in it but still not really acceptable. I think my understanding mot chappie is not going to be so lenient on me when he checks the bearing play next time.
 I'm wondering now if anyone has any thoughts about having a batch of new sleeves made up as it seems the sleeves are the cause of this problem. I think someone even mentioned once that the standard sleeves are not tight enough in the races to start with so having 'proper' ones made might be a very good idea. If you look at the linkage when you move the wheel up and down you'll see that the long sleeve pivot at the bottom is the one that shows wear and I'm not surprised as it has to endure a heavy load whilst the other bearings just rotate. If costs for a new set of sleeves were a little high then perhaps having just the long sleeve made would be useful.
 As the Gen 1s get older many more of us are going to run into this problem with sleeves wearing out. If you've never checked the play in yours you might be a little surprised when you do. Keep an eye on it.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Linkage Bloody Bearings
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2012, 05:37:30 pm »
Frustrating, Phil, I know. :(

When I changed the bearings and seals on mine a few years ago I also bought new sleeves (aka collars) from a Yamaha dealer (the only source, unfortunately). 

Even with all-new components throughout, I still had more than 1mm of vertical freeplay.  It has to be a function of the design and build standard, with each bearing/collar pairing contributing an unavoidable fraction of slack to the overall total.

Worst case, take the receipts for all the new parts to the MOT guy and ask him what else he expects you to do.