Date: 24-04-24  Time: 10:44 am

Author Topic: Nice little upgrade  (Read 4094 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Nice little upgrade
« Reply #25 on: 15 April 2021, 01:47:57 pm »
There's no need to tell them about shocks or fork upgrades, you can't ride the bike without either of them they aren't additions.   They don't enhance performance, albeit, you be able to ride slightly faster over any given stretch of road, but power isn't increased.

Even additions that don't enhance power like legle end cans (providing they cost no more the a standard system) most companies aren't interested.  Things like screens, heated grips, tail tidy, luggage systems, rearsets, air filter changes, huggers, steering damper, crash bungs/bars, brake hoses.   ;)

That's true of some companies but not all. Bennets for example don't want to know about any of that kind of stuff (there's a list on their site of changes you don't need to delcare) where as Bikesure used to make me list every single change I had on the bike regardless of how small and if there were more than 7 then it went over to a custom vehicle policy 🙄
And more recently while looking for Insurance on the Kawasaki I found a good price with a small company I'd not heard of before but when I spoke to them on the phone they refused to insure me for any changes whatsoever. They actually refused to insure me due to the fact I have Aftermarket heated grips!! 🤯🤯

I tend to find bike specific insurance companies are more sensible with changes than the mainly car focused ones

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 April 2021, 02:00:34 pm »
There's no need to tell them about shocks or fork upgrades, you can't ride the bike without either of them they aren't additions.   They don't enhance performance, albeit, you be able to ride slightly faster over any given stretch of road, but power isn't increased.

Even additions that don't enhance power like legle end cans (providing they cost no more the a standard system) most companies aren't interested.  Things like screens, heated grips, tail tidy, luggage systems, rearsets, air filter changes, huggers, steering damper, crash bungs/bars, brake hoses.   ;)

This is the current list of things you don't need to tell Bennetts about:

• air filter changes
• bar ends
• braided hoses
• decals/stickers (unless race replica)
• disability adapted
• exhaust (road legal)
• grippers
• heated grips
• huggers
• lights/indicators/mirrors
• scott oilers
• screen changes
• seat cowl/single seat units
• seat replacement/changes
• sissy bars (long backrest)
• tail tidy
• tank pads.

Everything else (except 'consumable' parts like tyres, chain and sprockets (as long as the gear ratios remain the same), bulbs, etc.), you have to tell them about, and the following modifications are specifically listed on my policy now:
- fairings added (inc belly pans)
- Crash protection (bungs and bars)
- Rear shocks / front forks (up to £1000)

« Last Edit: 15 April 2021, 02:09:28 pm by teecee90 »
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 April 2021, 04:04:55 pm »
This years insurance renewal included a list of 29 modifications that the insurer did not want to know about. Strangely suspension mods weren't on the list, when in the majority of cases, moneys been spent improving the stock suspension, making it easier and safer to ride. Therefore less likely to be involved in a claim, so the insurers should be paying us, via discounts, for improving the bikes they are insuring. :lol
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 April 2021, 05:34:19 pm »
This years insurance renewal included a list of 29 modifications that the insurer did not want to know about. Strangely suspension mods weren't on the list, when in the majority of cases, moneys been spent improving the stock suspension, making it easier and safer to ride. Therefore less likely to be involved in a claim, so the insurers should be paying us, via discounts, for improving the bikes they are insuring. :lol

Absolutely....

Although I guess the more 'bling' you add, the more attractive it becomes to thieving scumbags!

FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 April 2021, 10:53:44 pm »
https://youtu.be/IBa0h3frVdo

Worth a watch if anyone's interested on this subject